“BUGS and horrible service!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in New Castle
Port Washington, New York
“BUGS and horrible service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My 11-hour stay in this hotel has left me with a horror story like nothing I've ever experienced before, and I consider myself to have more than the average amount of experience staying in cheap hotels.
I am not going to go into TOO much detail, because if I did, it would end up reading like a movie script, and it would be just about as long, too. Here are the basic atrocities I faced at this hotel.

CHECK-IN: Upon arriving, with my confirmed "guaranteed reservation" for a queen, non-smoking room. I made the reservation online, and confirmed over the phone, letting them know that I would be arriving late at night (after midnight). It would end up taking 25 MINUTES for me to check in. The employee was chewing food and had crumbs on his face, was stumbling around with no shoes on, and spoke incomprehensible English. From what I could understand, he was telling me that he didn't have my reservation. I called the Knights Inn customer service number that came in my confirmation email, and they told me that I most certainly DID have a reservation. I tried explaining that I was having difficulty communicating with the employee, but all they did was re-send the reservation to the hotel, whatever that means. Long story short, 25 minutes after I arrived, I was informed that there were no rooms with queen beds available (actually, the employee told me that they didn't have queens, only one bed or two. wow.). With my guaranteed reservation of a queen/non-smoking room, I ended up in... (drumroll please.......) you guessed it! A smoking room with two double beds!

THE ROOM: It was just over 90 degrees the night I stayed at this hotel. I walked into the room and was met with a brick wall of heat and humidity. I finally found the thermostat, put it to the lowest setting, and turned it on. Nothing. NO AC IN 90 DEGREE WEATHER. That's not good. But I figured that I would rather deal with the muggy room than deal with the guy at the front desk again. Ok, time to settle in! Let me turn on the TV while I pack. Wait, where's the remote? Oh, darn, THERE IS NO REMOTE. Ok, no problem, I'll deal with it. Now let me just take the covers off the bed and sit on the edge of the bed while I take my toiletries out of my suitcase. Uh-oh! What is that on the sheet, and why is it moving!? BECAUSE IT IS A BEDBUG. I figured that I wouldn't panic, so I scooped it up in a plastic cup and saved it to show whoever was there in the morning. I came to find only one large bug (see photo), and I thought that was it, but I ended up finding another 10-12 moving specks on that bed. They were much smaller, but they were still bugs. I saved those in another plastic cup. Then I figured I'd try the other bed, because I really just needed to get to sleep so that I could hit the road in the morning. The other bed had a cigarette burn on the blanket, but that was ok, thanks to the non-existent AC, I wasn't planning on using any blankets. I remove the blankets to find another bug! But this time it was just an ant that was already dead. I ended up getting barely any sleep at all, waking up about every half hour sweating from the heat, and turning the lights on to check the bed for bugs.

THE SERVICE: When I woke up in the morning, I couldn't get into the shower soon enough. I went into the bathroom, and found soap, but no shampoo. I called the front desk and asked for shampoo, and he said that they don't put shampoo in the rooms. I asked, "How am I supposed to wash my hair, with face soap? How would YOU wash your hair?" Get this - the person on the other end of the phone said this: "Well sir, I'm the resident manager, so I have my own apartment with my own shampoo." SERIOUSLY!? I mean, I guess I did ask the question, but I wasn't ready for that obnoxious of a response. I asked the resident manager where I could buy shampoo nearby, and he pointed me to a gas station. I informed him that I would be checking out late due to this unexpected errand.

CHECK-OUT/THE RESIDENT MANAGER: I walked into the lobby, with my plastic cups of bugs (the big bed bug, the ant, and the cup with 10-12 tiny bugs), and I started my tirade. I complained about the AC, the missing TV remote, the horrible service at check-in, not getting the room I was guaranteed, etc. When I got to the bugs, I showed him the 3 cups. You couldn't really see the tiny ones, so I dumped them onto the counter. They began crawling all over the place. The man behind the desk (the resident manager with his own shampoo supply) looked at the bugs crawling around on the front desk, and he CHUCKLED. He laughed and watched them crawl around. When they got near the edge of the desk, he scooped them back into the cup with a spare room key. He gave me an insincere apology, specifically only apologizing for the bugs, and didn't make any eye contact when he apologized. As for the horrible service the night before? Well, when he addressed that, I was truly beside myself as he began to MAKE EXCUSES FOR THE HORRIBLE SERVICE, and made me feel as if I were some kind of jerk for being too hard on the night guy. Some of my favorite quotes: "He's new. He's only been here for two weeks" "We have only been open for 15 days." "(In regards to the unprofessional appearance, face crumbs, chewing, shoelessness) You have to forgive certain indulgences, we are working day and night to get this place up and running." The man was completely unremorseful and unapologetic. He informed me that they couldn't pull up my original reservation in the computer, so I wouldn't be charged. He acted like he was doing me a favor by not charging me for the room, so I was sure to let him know that I never had any intention of walking in and paying him money for the worst night's sleep of my life. When I raised the concern of being double-charged (the original reservation, and then the new reservation I was forced to make when I arrived), he told me that there was nothing he could do about that, I'd have to wait and see, and then take it up with the company.

So, to sum it up, this hotel has the worst kind of service, BED BUGS, and rooms that are in poor repair. Stay as far away from this place as you possibly can.

P.S. - The resident manager at one point informed me that they were "a private owner of a hotel, operating under the umbrella of Knights Inn." I can only hope that someone from Knights Inn reads this review, investigates properly, and carefully reconsiders allowing these awful people to carry their name.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips

Been to Knights Inn New Castle/Wilmington? Share your experiences!