“A Good Diner, And Has Been For A Long Time” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 58 Restaurants in Milford
Cuisines: American
Milford, Massachusetts
“A Good Diner, And Has Been For A Long Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My first visit to the Milford Diner was about 7 years ago. I was in town for a job interview and was surprised and disappointed to find the Bob Evan's restaurant wasn't open early, so I crossed the street to the Milford Diner, which was open. I had a good breakfast, and decided the Bob Evan's didn't need my business.

Over the years I've been back to the Milford Diner, on rare occasions, for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The food has always been good, though sometimes the kitchen is slow. The service has always been good.

This morning my wife and I stopped there at lunch time, though we both ordered breakfast. Again the kitchen was slow, but the food and the service were a step above what we would normally expect. And we barely exceeded a $10 tab.

I understand the diner has changed hands recently. The outside has benefited from a new coat of paint. The interior remains classic diner, in a good way. The place is clean and the atmosphere pleasant. The locals may grumble that it isn't what it was, but you'd expect that. I've been in many diners and the Milford Diner, past or present, is one of the better ones.

One way they have departed from tradition is they now take credit cards. The previous owners only took cash. The world changes, and even diners need to evolve, a little.

Visited September 2012

Smithfield, VA
“Variety and Quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We have visited the Milford Diner in Milford Delaware for years on our way north up MD Route 113. Most often, we stop on a Friday and savor their seafood soups. At noon, the place has been busy, until lately, that is. Since the new management (or owners ... or both?) came along, we've noticed that there have been fewer patrons. Nonetheless, we find the food to be pretty good. On August 24, we stopped in again. My wife and I ordered the lima bean soup which had a tad of other vegtables to spice up the flavor and appeal. It tasted great. I commented to the hostess as we lef that it could have been hotter ... but it is summer, and hot soup may not appeal to everyone. We also split a chili-burger with relish on it. When it was served, we were amazed at the size of the burger ... it looked almost like an 8 oz ground steak. The relish was homemade ... but not what I was expecting ... having been served sweet relish on chili burgers elsewhere. This relish appeared to have been made from ground up dill pickles, perhaps. Tasted OK. Just not what I expected. But the biggest surprise was the chili. It was chili with beans ... mostly beans, no less. I had expected the same sort of chili that one gets on a chilidog, for example. It tasted OK, sort of, but again, disappointed rather than pleased. It's funny how expectations can alter one's perspective. Had I had no expectations, I suspect that the burger would have been better.

Nonetheless, we've not ever been disappointed the the Milford Diner. We do hope that things improve as we'd miss it on our trips north. A lack of a full house seems to be plaguing many of the surviving restaurants we frequent these days.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Milford, Delaware
“not what it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

It's not bad for a meal in a pinch but not a place I'd put on the calender to eat at. New ownership has taken away the comfy homemade feel. It is more like a commercial dinner than what used to fell like the local hang out. It seems the quality has gone down a notch or to as well.

This may be the result of "upgrades" new paint, modernization, and now you can use plastic to pay {it used to be cash only}.. I like the old feel better...but it's still not a bad place to eat, the food is still o.k., just not my cup of tea any more.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ocean city, md
“Oh My- The place has gone downhill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Overall I feel that I made a bad choice in restaurant selection.

The diner used to be jammed packed with customers. I would often see construction workers, senior citizens, and families too, all in the same visit. There was often a wait for seating because the place was so busy.

I was very disappointed when I visited the other day for lunch. First of all there were only 4 other customers. It was very dirty inside. The floor is gross. The bathrooms are disgusting. The place is falling apart. The door to the kitchen was left open and I was able to see in the back. It looked like it should be shut down by the department of health. Had I seen this before I ate I would have left.

The food was not very good either. It used to be served home made and hand breaded. This time my dish was a frozen /deep fried/ smothered in gravy mess. I felt sick after I was done from all of the fat. The food really went down hill (the whole experience did).

The waitress was very nice.

I was very dissappointed and do not plan on returning.

• Visited April 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Delaware
“Sad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

New management, and on a downhill slide, after all the years it was a milford icon