“Great place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Blue Water House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lewes
The Blue Water House
You added The Blue Water House to your Saves list
407 East Market Street, Lewes, DE 19958   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Lewes B&B and Inns
norristown, PA
“Great place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Very nice cheerful place. Decorated in Key West theme. Our room was spotless, had a nice balcony with chairs and a table, air conditioning worked great luckily since it was a very hot week. King sized bed was so comfortable. About two blocks from the beach which was nice. The innkeeper Rick was so nice, very laid back and friendly and we loved his little side-kick Lola. The extras you get at this inn cannot be compared....towels, bikes, sunscreen, toiletries at the front desk of you forgot something, snacks, wine and beer and juices and a big icy container of cold water out front available at all times which was great. Nice shady sitting area underneath with funky furniture to sit on and a yard area with chairs and a hammock. They do allow children and babies so you may hear kids but overall a very nice experience!

Room Tip: We had the Little Palm room. King sized bed, balcony view of the front entrance, new modern bathroom...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just returned from staying two nights at the Blue Water House and even though it rained two out of the three days we were there, I couldn't find one negative to say about our stay because of this charming B&B and the impressive owner, Rick, who seems to do it all himself (and without flaw). Anything you could want is free and available to guests, including snacks, drinks, bikes, and even bug spray and sun lotion. Rick puts trust in his guests to not take advantage of his kindness, and at least from what we say, no one did. The breakfasts were great, especially our second morning when we came down to find Rick in the kitchen offering to make us made-to-order pancakes. The location is fantastic, only a block from the beach, and a few blocks to the downtown area with shops and restaurants. I enjoyed this town that took us away from it all, and hope tourists don't take it over anytime soon!

Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 3-night stay at the Blue Water House in Lewes, DE. We were looking forward to a few relaxing days on the beach and walking the streets of the charming town. Both were accomplished. I hesitate to mention anything negative about the Blue Water House because Rick, the owner, was more than welcoming and accommodating. The B&B is just as other reviewers have described - filled with lots of kitsch, color and warmth. However, I failed to ask the right questions regarding the policy about dogs. Not only does the owner have a dog who lives in the house (and was not a nuisance at all), but guests can bring dogs. And these dogs, although I'm sure are all wonderful family pets, were a little too much apparent for me. One morning we entered the breakfast room to find a family there with a huge dog, unleashed, sitting by their side. They asked if I was bothered by the dog (I'm sure they could see it on my face) and abruptly left when I said I was uncomfortable. So for those of you who like/own dogs, this is a great place for you to enjoy with/without your pet. But for others like me who don't enjoy having dogs underfoot, I suggest you select another place to stay in Lewes.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rick3225, Owner at The Blue Water House, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Customers are what make my B&B wonderful, however you not only failed to ask about our pet policy, you never brought your concern about the dog to my attention during your stay. I service dogs hardships. I allow a small percentage of dogs. It is almost non-existent. We are not a kennel. We have strict policies for a guest dog. Sometimes a guest does not follow our instructions. A dog in the dining area is a valid complaint...but to embellish is misleading and false. Your 3 day visit out of 365 days is less than 1% of the calender year. Please don't assume what happens at my B&B on a daily basis. You are entitled to an opinion but the facts are clearly wrong. I'm glad you are choosing another place in Lewes to visit. It is a great town with great end!
Rick and his dog Lola
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I had read a lot of really great reviews about this place and I just wanted to say that they are all deserved. One of the most comfortable stays I've ever had anywhere. We all felt welcome, relaxed, comfortable. I would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I look forward to my next visit at the Blue Water House. Rick (founder and manager) thought of everything: free towels, beach chairs, bikes, sunscreen, bottled water, snacks and more are at guests' disposal at all times. He's natural, sincere and has got a wonderful, caring personality. And man oh man does he have an eye for color and decor. The rooms are beautiful and the whole place has a lot of heart. The location couldn't be better: just a short walk from the bay beach and downtown Lewes and a quick bike ride to Cape Henlopen state park / ocean beach. I highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This motel is a gem! Excellent access to the beach or town, charming rooms, outstanding service and delightful ambiance. Rick goes out of his way to ensure your stay is stress free, including ice cold water, sun screen, beach towels and delicious breakfast. I am very picky about hearing other guests and, while it's not sound proof, it's incredibly quiet -- especially with the air conditioning on. We had a balcony that was charming and the room was a good size and super clean. It was everything we wanted for our get-away to Lewes!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We've stayed in a lot of B&B's over the years - without question this is the best one we've ever stayed at. Rick is a charming and helpful host - it's almost like you are staying at the beach with a friend. There is artwork and sculpture everywhere, with a bright cheerful Key West color scheme. The rooms are well appointed, comfortable and nicely decorated - the pictures don't do them justice (we got to peek in almost all the rooms as we were there in the middle of the week when they were empty.) Rick serves a hot breakfast in the morning, but there is yogurt, fresh fruit and cereal and several baked goodies. Other goodies including cookies and licorice are available in the afternoons. Bicycles, towels, umbrellas, sunscreen, aloe, bug repellant - I think Rick has thought of everything anyone could possibly need at the beach. And the place was very quiet, which was wonderful. The beach is 2 blocks away, and the town has several good restaurants.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely, the ones on the 3rd floor have balconies.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Blue Water House? Share your experiences!