“Noisy, bad housekeeping.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
Newark, DE
“Noisy, bad housekeeping.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

The hotel was decorated nicely and it was a convenient location, Staff was helpful and polite. The continental breakfest was decent. However, when we arrived for our two night stay, there was hair in the shower, and housekeeping did not clean the shower the next morning. Also, they did not clean in general the next morning nor did they give us new towels when they took our old ones. The bed was not made properly and I wound up adjusting the bedskirt so it would look nice for us. Also, there was a light switch by the door that did not seem to be attached to anything or turn anything on. The couple next door was not loud, but due to poor insulation, we could hear the couple next door talking and engaging in intimate relations. The front desk gave us $20 off our stay to compensate but that did not make up for a lack of service.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

This is a GREAT place to stay in Lewes! The renovations are perfect! Continental breakfast is really good. They have eggs, toast, bagels, and muffins. The room was fantastic, along with how the maids had cleaned!!! The pool was heated WONDERFULLY!!! And the location of the hotel is near the Cape May-Lewes Ferry, Cape Henlopen State Park, Rehoboth Beach, and many other beaches. The tax-free Tanger Outlets is another great place to shop! I would definitely recommend this hotel to ANYONE!

• Stayed July 2009
sleepinnlewes, Owner at Sleep Inn & Suites Rehoboth Beach Area, responded to this review, September 3, 2009
We are very pleased that you loved our renovations! We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

When we showed up in the early evening of the night we were staying, we were told we had two separate reservations, not just one like we were supposed to have. They claimed the second was a phone reservation I had made directly to the hotel a couple of days earler. That is a complete fabrication. We make all of our reservations online, and I never call the hotel directly. They would not allow us to just cancel this incorrect second reservation because it was past their cancellation period.

We wasted more than an hour on the phone with various parties and ended up paying more than we should have. Bottom line is that you cannot trust the management of this hotel. There are lots of other choices in the area - use them instead. If you do stay here, better check with the hotel ahead of time to make sure they didn't give you a phantom second reservation like they did with us.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

I booked this hotel after seeing a stay two nights get one free online advertisement. When I called the hotel they acted as if they needed to call headquarters to revify the information. Upon checkin I asked for a quote and was given the promotion price only to be given a different price upon checkout. The manager refused to honor the promotion and stated that the advertisement and employee were wrong. Hard to believe since the computer in the lobby also had the advertisement clearly marked on the website.

The staff was corteous but such unfair business dealibg would make me look into another facility. To think that this place is considered a choice hotel. Go Figure.

Also the fitness room is really one three pieces of equipment all of which are outdated.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Silver Spring, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

We booked 2 rooms for a long weekend and had a great time. The hotel staff was friendly, accomodating and the rooms were nice, up to date, nice decor, very clean, working A/C units! This hotel is close to alot of things - beaches (Rehoboth about 10 minutes, Ocean City an hour or less, plenty of place to eat from fast food to anything else. We ate at Claws one night (Rehoboth) and got a pound and a half lobster special for 17.99 with sides etc! Fun place to eat! We often stay in Ocean City so I was happy to get away from the crowds and stay in Lewes, we drove around and viewed beautiful beach front properties, went around historic Lewes, many ships, boats, history to explore. A "MUST DO" is a delightful ice cream shop at a local dairy farm - incredible ice cream made fresh there. (Hopkins Farm) My friends at there 4 times in as many days!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
We are happy that you love the promotion and the friendly staff. We are here to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Glen Burnie, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

While I have never stayed at this hotel, and will never, ever stay or encourage others to stay, or plan any group events there, I wanted to post this review to warn fellow travelers of their deceptive and unethical reservation and cancellation policies.

I chose this hotel because it had the only pet rooms available at the last minute for Memorial Day 2009. I made a reservation online, but also called the hotel to make sure that the room I booked was indeed a pet room (you can't always believe websites). Mainly, I didn't want to drive 3 hours to find out I had no pet room, with no other place to stay with our dogs. I was told that there was only one pet room left, and if I gave my information to the clerk, she would make sure that I got it when I checked in. She asked me for my name, credit card, etc., and told me that she is going to pre-assign (or something to that effect) that room so that nobody else takes it. I explained to her that I made a reservation online - and even gave her the confirmation number.

As it turns out, we didn't bring the dogs and I decided on a more upscale hotel, closer to the beach (see fantastic review of Hotel Rehoboth). I went online and I cancelled my reservation within the allowed time period, and received a cancellation number by email.

When I got home from my trip I noticed a one-night charge from Sleep Inn. When I called and spoke to the manager, she claimed that I not only made a reservation online, but also with their front desk. And because I did not call to cancel the reservation made by phone (the alleged second reservation), they considered it a no-show.

I explained to the general manager that I did not make two reservations for the same date, and asked her to be reasonable about the charge. She stuck to her guns and said that her front desk clerk warned me I was making a reservation, and there would be a charge if I did not show up (as if she was listening on the phone). And while the desk clerk did review their cancellation policy, at no time did she inform me she was making a second reservation. I tried multiple times to reason with this person, but she was bullying me in a threatening tone that my card was already charged and as far as she was concerned, the matter was closed.

Unfortunately, I will have to go through the credit card company to get a refund, which means paperwork and delays. But it will happen. And the property will make whatever claim they can to lay blame on me, either in this forum or with the credit card company. I fully expect that.

To lend credibility to my background, I have been a meeting and event planner for 26 years. I have traveled over 3 million miles and have booked hundreds of thousands of hotel rooms over my career. Folks, it is a tough economy. There are underhanded entrepreneurs who run 'less than desirable' properties looking for quick and sometimes unfair ways to make a few bucks to hit their numbers. Even experienced travelers can be duped by liars.

Be very careful when you choose your hotel. Check the fine print, the cancellation policy and keep documentation long after your trip is over. Please don’t stay at this property. Happy Traveling.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Clover, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

This is a 4 floor hotel with the first & second floors currently under renovation. The put us in the newly-renovated third floor but right next to the room that was serving as the temporary breakfast area so it was a bit noisy the next morning (The only other rooms available were on the 4ht floor which is the smoking floor).
Other than that the room was exactly what you would expect from a Sleep Inn. The location was very convenient to Lewes and Rehoboth Beach.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
We are sorry about the renovations, but it is to make the hotel much nicer for all guests. We are happy that you liked how convenient we are to the beaches. Thank you for staying with us and our goal is to make your stay comfortable and relaxing.

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites Rehoboth Beach Area? Share your experiences!