“Downtown Lewes Touch of Italy - incredible” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 84 Restaurants in Lewes
Cuisines: Pizza, Italian, Sandwiches, Delicatessen, Pasta
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Touch of Italy was born out of two Italian family traditions that trace back to the late 1800's. These two families trace their roots to the beautiful Marche and Abruzzo regions in Central Italy, where one can find rich cultural traditions and recipes passed down from generation to generation. Touch of Italy first opened in the fall of 2010 in Lewes, Delaware and proudly runs five locations in Ocean City, Lewes and Rehoboth Beach, serving fresh items like handmade mozzarella cheese, pasta, pizza, cookies and crispy bread, as well as high quality imported items from Italy. Touch of Italy is proud to bring the Italian tradition to costal Delaware and Maryland, and pay tribute to our ancestors, who imparted to us a love of food and family.
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
“Downtown Lewes Touch of Italy - incredible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We have been to the downtown Lewes Touch of Italy several times. Each time has been great. It does take a while to get your order, but I've found the customer service at this location to be friendly and helpful. Their cheeses and deli meats are far superior to any other in downstate Delaware. That being said, we decided to try the new location on Route 1. Without a doubt, I will not return. The host was arrogant and obviously not skilled in handling the demands of a restaurant filled with diners. (This is where we should have left.) Instead of simply telling us that the wait for a table might be 10, 15 or even 30 minutes so we could decide if we should go elsewhere, he said he didn't know. After waiting 30 minutes he told us he could seat us, but he didn't want to over tax his waitstaff because they had several other tables. Seriously? There were TWO of us. So basically, if he sat us, we couldn't get waited on right away. Okay. We sat. The server came over fairly quickly and was very personable. We ordered drinks. They didn't have the single malt scotch we wanted, so we ordered a bottle of wine. They didn't have the wine we ordered, so we made another selection. We ordered the special appetizer which was a plate of calamari. We got a plate of bread and our wine. At this point, we have been here about 1.5 hours. We have not gotten our appetizer yet. Let alone our dinner. Appetizer comes after letting server know it had not arrived. It was only okay, nothing special. I ordered the Pizza Focaccia. The menu compares this item to the Focaccia Robiola served at Da Ciro in NYC. It is not even close. The "flatbread" was more like two soggy waffles, which tells me it sat for a long time before making it to the table. My companion ordered a pasta dish that was tasty. However, this was a three hour dinner that was not worth the money we spent. I do not recommend you waste your time with this location. Maybe it is because they opened recently, maybe it is because their other locations are smaller and therefore easier to accommodate - I don't know. The mood was probably colored by the attitude of the host who, as we were leaving, was walking around with a fistful of cash instead of thanking the diners for coming in. I feel sorry for our server who was frustrated with the kitchen and the obviously inexperienced management.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
“Bravo! 4 visits in 3 weeks!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

So delicious!! Feels like I am back on Arthur Avenue in The Bronx, but I'm at the beach!! Authentic Italian cheeses, charceuterie, pastries, and pasta...was even able to buy handmade sausage and ravioli from Borgatti's Raviol to prepare at homei. The lunch sandwiches are delicious as is the pizza and for dinner some of the pasta dishes are wonderful...also, try the Olive Bread with Ricotta or a Calzone...Eggplant Tower...Linguine w. clamsauce...great friendly staff makes you feel at home...and the music is the real deal...Sinatra, Martin, Caruso...feels like Grandma's

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Reston, Virginia
“Tasty Italian Food in Lewes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was in Lewes for my yearly beach trip and ran across Touch of Italy. I was impressed by the food, which was very tasty. It's kind of a bustling place, not a place for a quiet dinner, but the food quality was top-notch. I had the chicken parmagiana sandwich, which was large and well-made. The sauce was interesting, a little spicy, and not too chunky. I plan to go back this year. The employees were very friendly and quick to offer suggestions for beverages and desserts to complement our meal.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“Best Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

So, my cousin tells me about this place "best Italian I ever ate"--which is exceedingly high praise from her. So, off we go. Very small place that was packed at 3pm on a Friday afternoon. We ate at the bar. The wait staff were very knowledgeable and friendly. We had the amazing antipasto (ate half and brought the other half home for a snack later). Trudie had the appetizer size gnocchi--if you like fresh gnocchi and cheese, this is the dish for you. I had the chicken parm, which was probably enough for three! We brought leftovers home, along with some biscotti and other cookies. I would certainly go back again.

Visited August 2013
“The Real Deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This place is the real deal so make sure you get here (in Lewes, though I assume the same in Rehoboth)

The deli counter tells you what you need to know to in terms of authenticity, just by looking at it. The sharp and friendly waitstaff in deep blue polo shirts do a great job of balancing efficiency and friendly. The small bar on the end serves up tap beer and the usual others incl at least one local.

A cozy wood-tabletop vibe and no music was just what you need – the buzz of the place is enough. Skip the chic and pseudo chic spots on the street and stop here.

Food: The fried meatball appetizer was a disappointment… Not a lot of flavor, but if you do try it, try this: put a bit on the provided bread and the flavor takes off! Wierd.. Not sure why but it really kicks it out. NOTE to Chefs: chefs, when you list sautéed peppers as a presentation or garnish, it should NOT include cayenne flakes among the usual green and red and onions! That’s just not smart…or was it a mistake? Crazy really to have quite hot pepper flakes sneakly mixed in. I’d go with the Mama’s style meatball appetizer next time.

Escarole and bean soup was nice…but could have used just a bit more something. But, better to be modest and well done I suppose. It was fresh and well balanced and a nice starter.

Pasta dishes: Orecchio and salcicca with rabe. Perfect pasta and rabe and sauce- imperfect salcicca. Its too overpowering for the delicacy of the rest of the dish. Still and all it is a good one but a mild and delicate/tenderer sausage would be better.

I didn’t order sandwiches but by the looks of them I would recommend a try…nicely prepared by baking or broiling and served semi-open on the plate. Nice touch.

The basic red sauce marinara in the other dishes was great. Straight up, balanced, not sweet, not acidy. That alone is a reason to stop here. Plus the pasta is homemade and well prepared plus great service and vibe

So though this sounds like a lukewarm review, I think its a very good place. Just a miss here and there on details and execution.

• Visited August 2013