“Tasty Italian Food in Lewes” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 66 Restaurants in Lewes
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Sandwiches, Pizza & Pasta, Delicatessen
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Coffee & Tea, Late Night
Description: Touch of Italy was born out of two Italian family traditions that trace back to the late 1800's. These two families trace their roots to the beautiful Marche and Abruzzo regions in Central Italy, where one can find rich cultural traditions and recipes passed down from generation to generation. Touch of Italy first opened in the fall of 2010 in Lewes, Delaware and proudly runs five locations in Ocean City, Lewes and Rehoboth Beach, serving fresh items like handmade mozzarella cheese, pasta, pizza, cookies and crispy bread, as well as high quality imported items from Italy. Touch of Italy is proud to bring the Italian tradition to costal Delaware and Maryland, and pay tribute to our ancestors, who imparted to us a love of food and family.
Reston, Virginia
“Tasty Italian Food in Lewes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was in Lewes for my yearly beach trip and ran across Touch of Italy. I was impressed by the food, which was very tasty. It's kind of a bustling place, not a place for a quiet dinner, but the food quality was top-notch. I had the chicken parmagiana sandwich, which was large and well-made. The sauce was interesting, a little spicy, and not too chunky. I plan to go back this year. The employees were very friendly and quick to offer suggestions for beverages and desserts to complement our meal.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Fairfax, Virginia
“Best Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

So, my cousin tells me about this place "best Italian I ever ate"--which is exceedingly high praise from her. So, off we go. Very small place that was packed at 3pm on a Friday afternoon. We ate at the bar. The wait staff were very knowledgeable and friendly. We had the amazing antipasto (ate half and brought the other half home for a snack later). Trudie had the appetizer size gnocchi--if you like fresh gnocchi and cheese, this is the dish for you. I had the chicken parm, which was probably enough for three! We brought leftovers home, along with some biscotti and other cookies. I would certainly go back again.

Visited August 2013
US
“The Real Deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This place is the real deal so make sure you get here (in Lewes, though I assume the same in Rehoboth)

The deli counter tells you what you need to know to in terms of authenticity, just by looking at it. The sharp and friendly waitstaff in deep blue polo shirts do a great job of balancing efficiency and friendly. The small bar on the end serves up tap beer and the usual others incl at least one local.

A cozy wood-tabletop vibe and no music was just what you need – the buzz of the place is enough. Skip the chic and pseudo chic spots on the street and stop here.

Food: The fried meatball appetizer was a disappointment… Not a lot of flavor, but if you do try it, try this: put a bit on the provided bread and the flavor takes off! Wierd.. Not sure why but it really kicks it out. NOTE to Chefs: chefs, when you list sautéed peppers as a presentation or garnish, it should NOT include cayenne flakes among the usual green and red and onions! That’s just not smart…or was it a mistake? Crazy really to have quite hot pepper flakes sneakly mixed in. I’d go with the Mama’s style meatball appetizer next time.

Escarole and bean soup was nice…but could have used just a bit more something. But, better to be modest and well done I suppose. It was fresh and well balanced and a nice starter.

Pasta dishes: Orecchio and salcicca with rabe. Perfect pasta and rabe and sauce- imperfect salcicca. Its too overpowering for the delicacy of the rest of the dish. Still and all it is a good one but a mild and delicate/tenderer sausage would be better.

I didn’t order sandwiches but by the looks of them I would recommend a try…nicely prepared by baking or broiling and served semi-open on the plate. Nice touch.

The basic red sauce marinara in the other dishes was great. Straight up, balanced, not sweet, not acidy. That alone is a reason to stop here. Plus the pasta is homemade and well prepared plus great service and vibe

So though this sounds like a lukewarm review, I think its a very good place. Just a miss here and there on details and execution.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great sandwiches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Took the family to Lewes for the day. We ran across Touch of Italy and decided to give it a try. My wife and I loved the sandwiches we had. They were full of meat and cheeses and very flavorful. I think the kids were less impressed, until it came to dessert time. We took cannolis home with us and needless to day....we ate every last one. The mini's are great for a quick fix.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
“Feels authentic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

When we're in Lewes this is always a must stop at place. We love the pizza and the subs which are made with real Italian meat - not "lunch" meat. There aren't many tables so come early or late if you don't want to wait. Even if you don't go for a meal they have a deli counter where you can get meat, cheese, fresh sub rolls and the most delicious pepperoni.

• 4 of 5 stars Food