“The Wharf” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 75 Restaurants in Lewes
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Established in 2011 The Wharf Restaurant & Bar welcomes you to Lewes, Delaware. With new ownership, comes new menus and staff - yet the same fantastic waterfront location. Come visit us and enjoy a relaxing, family & pet friendly dining experience. We also offer:SpecialtiesA mouthwatering new menu will welcome you and your family to our fantastic waterfront location. From burgers, to seafood, to nachos, to huge salads, we have something for everyone. You have to try the Lobster Mac n' Cheese. And for a vegetarian treat, how does a portabella mushroom cheese "steak" sandwich sound?Come visit us and enjoy a relaxing, family friendly dining experience. We also offer:Custom CateringPrivate PartiesHappy Hour daily 12 pm to 7 pm
“The Wharf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I loved the atmosphere, the outside view was great. We came at eight at night, and the service was excellent. We got our food very quickly. The food was great. I would defiantly come back again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Delaware
“There are better in the area...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Unfortunately, if you're here at dinnertime and it's summer (especially on a weekend), you don't have much choice in Lewes other than to go wherever you can get a table.

We have a home here and family was visiting. My nieces wanted to go to The Wharf because there are very few nice restaurants in the area on the water. Irish Eyes is down the road a bit, also on the canal, but we thought that The Wharf would be more "fitting" to a vacation-at-the-beach meal.

My husband and I have been to this restaurant before, but not for a few years (and it has, since then, changed name and ownership once more). We still feel as though the time we went in 2009 or 2010 was by far the best that it had been previously or since.

At just before 6pm on a Friday evening we had a choice of sitting inside (1 table for 7 of us) or outside at 2 adjacent tables. We chose inside, and I wonder how different this review would have been had we chosen to sit on their deck.

Our waitress was below average. She started as polite and cheerful, but spilled water on my Dad and niece and barely bothered to clean up (and the apology, after the initial "Ohmygod, I'm sorry!" was hurried and seemed to be rather insincere).

She was horribly, painfully slow. We all ordered different "sharing plates", but she forgot one meal. Someone else served our food, and she didn't bother to return until about 10 minutes after that. We informed her about the missing meal but it wasn't brought to the table until we had long finished eating and were waiting for the check. No refills on drinks because she was never around.

All of the "sharing plates" (actually small portions, just slightly larger than what I would expect for an appetizer) were hit-or-miss.

There were 2 pulled pork sliders which seemed to be the best-liked but the smallest in quantity.

The fish and chips were good and a decent quantity.

The crab bruschetta was a joke-- we kept looking for the crab but found only a small, very small, area of crab flakes in the center of the plate, surround by a lot of diced but not ripe tomatoes. We are in Delaware in mid-August and they had February tomatoes??? Really??? The balsamic dressing was tasty.

One liked the shrimp tacos, the others thought that the guacamole was bland and artificial-tasting (a mix???). The mango salsa was very good, but shouldn't have been the best part of that particular dish.

One person ordered a dinner, the fried shrimp, and for $23 there should have been more shrimp. He said that they tasted great, but for that price there should have been at least 50% more.

And the cap to this whole lovely experience was the live music. The band was just setting up when we arrived, and the hostess said that there was a band in the bar, but we didn't realize how very loud it would be, and that the bar is opened to the dining room. It was too loud to talk, and we weren't the only ones in the dining room who were unhappy about it.

So, if we HAD sat outside, and got ANOTHER waitress, perhaps we could have looked over the less-than-enjoyable meals. And if we ever return for dinner (doubtful at this point), we realized too late that we should have ordered 3 Fisherman's Platters to share (a nearby table had one and it looked much better than what we received, both in quantity and quality).

My father picked up the bill, and I told him not to tip the waitress. Yes, while she was not responsible for the food issues BUT she was very slow, didn't serve the meals, didn't get the missing meal to us until it was far too late, didn't refill drinks, and was barely civil when bringing the check and getting the change (I can only hope that she was embarrassed because of her lack of professionalism). But my Dad, being who he is, left a 10% tip because he said that he would have felt "funny" not leaving anything. It was more than what she deserved.

This is a nice restaurant in a great location on the water. Very picturesque. And I realize that it is difficult to keep all of the servers in top form at all times. It's almost always the luck of what server you happen to get. But what The Wharf really needs to do is to add a few less pricey items to its dinner menu instead of making people choose between a large appetizer ("sharing plates") and an expensive entree. I would also love to see very "beachy" baskets of fried shrimp or fish with french fries and a little cup of coleslaw on the menu, and I would bet that I'm not the only one.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
usa
“Great view; food not so hot!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We ordered a meal for 3 adults and one child. The food was below average in quality. I had ribs and chicken. The ribs were nothing to write home about and the chicken was obviously not fresh cooked that day. The other party had a salmon salad and the fish was raw in the middle. It should have been obvious to the prep cook because it was already sliced on the salad. It was returned and asked that we have the soup instead. It came out lukewarm. Said it was lukewarm, and they returned another bowel (I think) but it was not different. We just said forget it. They did not charge us for it, but did not apologize either. The mac and cheese for the child was the kind you make out of a box (the cheep kind). The other meal was not that great either. The waite person seemed perturbed by it all and had the look of "oh brother, what a pain." In fact all the workers looked as it they would rather be anywhere but there.

There is no way we could go back unless there were a complete change. I would highly recommend you to find another place on the wharf.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Glen Arm, Maryland
“Average at best but nice atmosphere. ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

The atmosphere is very nice and on a nice day you can sit on the deck and overlook the water. However, the crab cake sandwich was very average. It tasted more like a fried crab ball. It came with a Caesar salad that had a minuscule amount of dressing. The seafood chowder had very little seafood and an average flavor.

Reading, Pennsylvania
“Lunch near the docks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We had lunch outside at the docks. The atmosphere was nice! I had a Greek salad with grilled Salmon which was very good. My daughter had an Asian salad with tuna which she really enjoyed and my husband loved his fish and chips. The service was also nice.