“I feel more at home here than at home.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Canal Square

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lewes
Inn at Canal Square
You added Inn at Canal Square to your Saves list
122 Market Street, Lewes, DE 19958   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
Glen Burnie, Maryland
“I feel more at home here than at home.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

I am always delighted that the staff and innkeeper at the Inn at Canal Square provide service and accommodations that are even better than I remember. Mr. Becker, the innkeeper, is very involved with the community and you find that concern for others in the way he operates his Inn.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

We travel from NC to the Northeast a few times a year and always look forward to a stop at the Inn at Canal Square. The rooms are huge, overlooking the water, and the beds are so comfy. The service is very personal. We stayed last week (we were the only ones there) and they brought our breakfast to our room! We promise next time to stay longer!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

Spent my wife's birthday here. It was close to the quaint downtown with nice views of the harbor and canal. A short drive to Henlopen State Beach for quiet walks and views of two lighthouses. I wouldn't upgrade to Harbormaster's room since the balcony is very small and when you sit on the chairs, the view is totally blocked.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

I recently got married and decided to travel to Lewes to spend a quiet weekend with my new husband. The rooms are very clean and the breakfast was fair but while eating your breakfast you can hear the employees in the next room talking about what they did the night before. Our room had a view of the parking lot and when we went down to see if we could the move the only helpful person at the front desk moved us with no questions asked. The rooms are very overpriced for what you get and the lack of service of management is just ridiculous. I have traveled to many hotels and have never paid top dollar for a Quality Inn style hotel. I do not believe anybody who just gets married should ever stay here!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I just got back from a 4th of July weekend stay with my family at The Inn at Canal Square. We all had a wonderful time. The weather was perfect for the beach, although a little hot for me, my kids loved it. This is now the fourth time we have stayed at the Inn at Canal Square and each time we have enjoyed ourselves. However, this is the first time I have posted a review on Trip Advisor. Normally I take review sites with a grain of salt when picking a place to stay and only use them to get a general feel for a place. Last night friends of mine asked me if we had ever taken our chesapeake retriever with us to the beach because they were thinking of taking their pug with them. I mentioned that the Inn at Canal Square has a pet room and they commented it saying that they had just read this afternoon that someone has had a bad experience with the pet room. So I felt, as being a person who has stayed in both thier regular rooms and their pet room, that I should write up a comment of my own.

The hotel is beautifully decorated and staff is overly friendly. Both the owner and manager would be more then willing to stop in during breakfast and ask how your stay has been, and both typically have shared stories of the history of the town with us on a few occasions. The staff almost makes you feel as though you are a part of an extended family. The bay beach is a short drive or a moderate walk away and the state park is just around the corner. The best part about Lewes is that everything is right there. You can arrive at the hotel and not have to get back in your car until you go to leave. As for the guest rooms they are incredibly spacious, and the bedding is very comfortable. In regards to the pet room.....it is your typical pet room. My wife and I have stayed up and down the eastcoast and parts out west with our dog and the Inn at Canal Square's pet room rates right up there with the other pet rooms around the area. You can't expect a luxorious accomodations for a room that is designed to accomodate pets. Furthermore to expect a shower nossel with a hose to rinse your dog off is a bit absurd to have in a hotel room. That is just asking for cleaning problems let alone plumbing problems. I do not know if it is a Trip Advisor rule to comment on other people's comments but I felt I needed to express my opinion on the subject.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

We just came back from short vacation in Lewes where we stayed in the Inn in Canal Square in the room designated for dog owners. I completely agree with previous review published by 6tareg traveller who stayed in this hotel with dog. Few things to add:
I travelled all around the world and never saw refrigerator placed in the bathroom close to the toilet. This is antisanitary and not appropriate.
Shower cabin is small and slippery without bar and head shower does not have hose. which we needed to wash our dog after trips to the beach.
All windows look into the restaurant area and small court near the entrance to the room always was filled with people we never were able to raise the drapes and did not have privacy. When I booked the room nobody told me about this issue.
In general room was small and out date with dirty spots on the carpet and well beyond accomodations which are provided for people who stay in this hotel without dogs.
For money we paid I expected much better, I think management should think about better rooms for travellers with dogs.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
inn-credible, General Manager at Inn at Canal Square, responded to this review, July 10, 2010
We appreciate you taking time to write up a review, and thank you for staying with us. In response to this review I would like to point out that after expressing your concerns with us, you extended your stay for 2 more days. Also one of the issues you expressed was the noise from the restaurant the night before when the restaurant was closed the night before. As another reviewer stated, we do not want to encourage our guests to bath their pets in our hotel rooms. All the other issues were addressed in a very timely manner.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

My boyfriend and I had an excellent stay at the Inn, our room was spacious, clean and beautiful, especially with the balcony and the view of the canal! The town is Lewes is adorable and very quaint and has some amazing restaurants like "The Buttery" and "Striper Bites". Wish there was a little bit more of a breakfast selection, only had cereal, some light fruit and yogurt and muffins...some eggs, french toast, etc would've been nice! Some of the staff at the front desk weren't overly friendly either. Overall, we loved the inn- wish we could've stayed longer!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at Canal Square? Share your experiences!