“Food all right, but” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Back Burner Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 39 Restaurants in Hockessin
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Old Lancaster Pike
Wilmington, Delaware
“Food all right, but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2014

the service was disappointing. My wife ordered the lamb tagine which she liked, but it was served warm as was my smoked duck ravioli. The flavor was very good and the portions were adequate. The downfall was the service from the time we entered until we left. The hostess was busy talking to a server while we just stood there waiting to be seated a bit too long, the servers did not know who ordered what and they reached across us to serve starters and mains. The main problem was the check which was doubled. It was all sorted out, but it highlights the entire staff needs training.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

West Chester, PA
“Avoid Cafe”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2014

Went on a Sunday, restaurant not open so went to cafe. Ordered a sandwich and water. I was overcharged substantially but decided not to make a fuss. Several minutes later, a different person approached and said they were out of what I ordered. I then order an even less expensive item, and get that, but no refund for the difference in price. Food was okay, not great. Would not go out of my way to return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hockessin, Delaware
“Great atmosphere & good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2014

Sometimes you want to talk and get great drinks and an appetizer. I went to the Back Burner bar on Saturday evening and there are usually 2 seats either at the bar of in the bar. The service was prompt and the server explained that the appetizers were 1/2 price until 6PM. We had the mushrooms stuffed with crab - very tasty! I had a nice Martini and my friend had a glass of chardonnay. The server told us of the specials. The BB has a nice sophisticated atmosphere and you can carry on a conversation. Will try them for dinner soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Delaware, USA
“Charming and Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

Charming spot in Hockessin. The decor is rustic ski lodge. The service by Diana was great! The pumpkin mushroom soup lives up to the hype!! Entrees were daily specials of ribeye and Hawaiian white fish. Both were prepared perfectly and served attractively. Will return!

• Visited October 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Riverton
“Worth the search”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

Our experience on a Saturday evening at about 530, was a delight. The decor and set up greet you. It is cozy and well laid out. Our waitress was perfect. She knew her stuff, but was not pushy. We had a prix fixe meal. I had the pumpkin mushroom soup and free range chicken, quite nice. My husband had the poached pear salad and a fish, also quite good. I had the chocolate sampler and my husband had the apple cake. We enjoyed the local beer on tap. All in all a enjoyable time was had. We would come back.

• Visited October 2014