“From an Experienced Traveler” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #14 of 20 hotels in Dover
Spain
“From an Experienced Traveler”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

The two reviews below calling this hotel "creepy" strike me as being oddly similar not only in vocabulary, but in the inaccuracy of their reviews. The only truth I find in the writers' (or writer's) review is that there is no elevator to the one floor above the ground floor, significant only for a few people. The building itself is clean, in very good condition, the rooms are normal, the furnishing in like-new condition, the neighborhood upscale despite on of the other reviews' claim that it is run down. There is absolutely nothing run-down about the neighborhood, comprising recently built multiple-family homes located at about 200 feet from the hotel. The McDonalds is located at about 100 feet in front of, not next to the hotel and it should be considered a convenience, not a detraction, just as the service station and a couple of restaurants are, on the other side of McDonalds. The hotel is used regularly as an overflow lodging facility for USAF aircrews, a testiment to its quiet environment and the blackout curtains over the windows to allow the guests to sleep even on a bright, sunny day. The staff is friendly and service oriented, the breakfast (included in the price of the room) is more than adequate, with self made waffles, sweet rolls, coffee, two juices, fresh fruit, three cereals and more. There is a laundry room with washing machine and dryer, a small exercize room with Nautilus type machines, video camera surveilance, etc, all included in the price. My room was immaculate when I arrived yesterday and when I returned to my room after being gone for a couple of hours today it had been cleaned properly and all was in order. What more do these guys want? I would be happy to stay here with my family any time.

Room Tip: When leaving the hotel to go to Dover ÁFB or south on Route 13 exit by way of the back driveway to a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Newark, Delaware, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This was a very creepy hotel. The surrounding area was shady - a McDonald's next door and low income housing with people walking around constantly. I was nervous going to and from my car. The hallway's smelled of cigarette smoke and there was no elevator. I was with a group and we rented several rooms. In my room the smoke detector was hanging off the wall, the phone was missing buttons and was filthy, the coffee pot was disgusting and the mattress pads were thread bare and didn't cover the mattress. The springs in the mattress squeaked and were poking through. The "sanitized" tv remote sat in a stained cardboard holder. The room was disgusting and I would never, ever recommend it to anyone. What a disappointment for a Best Western.

Room Tip: The microtel across the street might be better.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Manasquan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

As always with us, tractor trailer parking since the lot wasn't very full. Pet friendly with a $10 fee. I found Jeff at the front desk very pleasant and we were checked in in a timely manner. It looks like after a few lousy reviews, the hotel has corrected a lot of any problems they may have had as we found this place to be a really nice place to stay. The room was neat, clean, plenty of towels, pillows, mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker, ironing board, etc. The staff was very cordial and friendly and even recommended a good Italian restaurant just a short walk across 2 pakring lots. There is a gas station/convenience store at the first parking lot, the restaurant in a mini-mall at the second lot. Also a chinese place in the mall. I saw a very nice exercise room on my way to the room as well. We were very pleased with our stay here. And there was a pretty decent continental breakfast in the morning as well. All in all, I would highly recommend a stay here. Good nights' sleep, no problems, friendly staff.

Room Tip: Just tell them what you're looking for - I found the staff to be very accomodating.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
McKeesport, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Upon arrival we had a quick check in. Had our info from reservations we signed and were done. Told there were 3 ways to get to our room (...and yes. there is an elevator at the opposite end of the building from office, ice machines.) We parked outside the rear of motel walked about 10 steps and went in door directly to our room. At nite there is security on the door so you need to slide your room card to get in.We were glad to see that. It was clean, quiet and comfortable clean beds with 4 pillows and...a clean bathroom. Air conditioning was fine. Tv was fine. Room set up was fine and we had a frig and ironing board. In the AM we did hear people leaving their room to leave for their construction jobs but no biggie. That's to be expected. Breakfast was free but, we had planned to eat out. Our navigation took us in a round about way but, the motel was actually 3+ mile closer once we knew where we were.We will definately stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Langley AFB, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Convenient location, bad service, very creepy. When I checked in, the girl at the front was nice but the woman who was lounging on the couch who worked there was kind of creepy. Room looked like there was a party or some sexcapades or something. I was like yuck. Found a used condom on the bed so I took off the top blanket. I wanted to stay at the Air Force Inn but they were booked for the night. Room smelled weird, but it was late, after a real long drive and in the course of a deployment have been in worse conditions. When I told them, can't remember by phone or desk or whatnot since I was so tired, they seemed like they didn't really care. When I was getting thing for my room in the back there were this group of rough looking guys that looked like they wanted to sell me drugs. Saw no housekeeping around ever. Carpets looked dirty and the hallways were gross. It's in a convenient location but the room was creepy. The pillows were too small for the bed so I had to use all 5 just to be comparable to just one. I found a few small bugs. The breakfast was was also worse then even Navy quality. At checkout the next day I told them they needed better house keeping practices not that I expected a free room or anything, just some helpful advice, they told me the room would be free so I was like OK. I went to the Dining Facility at Dover AFB since it was a waste at the best western. After leaving the DFAC the Dover Best Western gives me a call saying that they reviewed my advice and that they would charge me for the room, I was like OK I'm not looking for a free room and had no problem with their over priced room since I needed a place for the night. Then the lady tries to accuse me for the room was dirty with the used condom and stuff, needless to say I was appalled, I had never seen such unprofessional and I had even been in the navy that wasn't that low level of professionalism. Most of the staff was not so friendly. Overall it was worse than I expected. This place gives Best Western a bad name since I had none of these problems with the one I stayed in at one of their Maine locations. I would say the Best Western Galaxy is over priced compared to the quality of other hotels I have stayed in over the years. Because of these less than desirable conditions I reported them to the Dover Air Force Inn. I can't believe this hotel is allowed on the Dover AFB Temporary Billeting list. If you're looking for a place to sleep for a night it was tolerable, I guess, but I would not go back. I reported this also to the corporate offices of Best Western so maybe they would be inclined into doing improvements, so hopefully it gets better. But even that would surprise me.

Room Tip: Convenient location, bad service, very creepy. When I checked in, the girl at the front was nice but...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We needed a room late at night as we were traveling with two young kids trying to catch a SpaceA flight at Dover. This hotel is close to the AFB, clean, and a good value for the cost. The lobby smelled like cigarette smoke, but the non-smoking room we requested was fine. Be warned...there is no elevator, just stairs. Apparently, this is due to the building being old? But it worked out fine. Wi-fi is also free in the rooms, so that's a bonus. We would stay here again. Oh, and the pool looks nice, however, we were not able to use it because we didn't have time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel. Friendly family oriented staff. Good coffee and breakfast. Nice clean rooms, comfy lobby, cute gym, big clean pool. Also stayed with baby and it was safe. Would stay again defitnetly. Good value!

• Stayed July 2012

Been to BEST WESTERN Galaxy Inn? Share your experiences!