“Okay hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Dover
Wyomissing, Pennsylvania, United States
“Okay hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed here for an event we were attending in Dover and this was the cheaper of the Marriott options. The hotel and room were clean but the room was in definite need of upgrading/renovations. The hairdryer in the room did not work and the shower temperature was very inconsistent. The staff, while not rude, weren't exactly helpful either. It was an okay hotel for a one night stay. Next time we might spend the extra money for the Residence Inn next door.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Very nice stay here. Staff friendly and helpful. Pretty area. I was just going for business and had a nice surprise as my room was very pretty; it looked new. Wish I could have stayed longer. Good location if you are going to Dover. Stores are close.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Chester County, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Easy to find location. Nicely appointed room. Slow elevator. Decent hot breakfast in breakfast area.. Very nice breakfast hostess who's really trying her best to keep up with huge crowd. Reasonably sound proof room.. Good water pressure lots of hot water.. Several towels were make up stained but overall a great value..

• Stayed October 2012
Suffolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Wife and I stayed here for one nite on 9/19. First impression was a very well cared for establishment both from the exterior and lobby area. Pleasant staff greet guests. Fully functional lobby with free WiFi service and comfortable gathering areas. Our suite was spotless! Very nicely decorated with 2 TV's and 2 phones, a work area, couch, chairs and separate King bedroom. Good size bathroom with all the necessities. Overall, a great value for the $$ spent, but most importantly, a very clean and maintained hotel with a super nice bunch of folks running it. Bravo to the Marriott chain...they hit a home run with this Fairfield Inn & Suites.

Room Tip: The suite selection is the way to go.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dover
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I chose to have my family stay in this hotel during the weekend of my wedding. This hotel was terrible to work with! They never returned my calls, including the general manager. Their mangaement is absolutely terrible! It took them months just to get me some quotes for my family. I would have chosen a different hotel, but at this point the others were all sold out. Once I was able to give my family the info, they began to call to make reservations. The hotel did not have the information in there for weeks! They charged some members of my family twice or just didnt save their reservation altogether. When my family started to show up, the person at the front desk was telling them that they were full, eventhough they had made reservations and took their money already. They told my family that even if they have resrvations, if a regular customer comes in and needs a room, they will get first choice. This of course made them very angry and caused alot of time while checking in. My grandma asked weeks in advance if she could have a handicapt room and be on the first floor so that it is easier for her. They told her that she could. However, when she showed up, they told her that there were no hanicapt rooms and put her in a regular room on the 3rd floor! Meanwhile, another family member got put into a handicapt room on the first floor and she did not ask for that.They also told me that they try to get everyone on the same fllor. Which also did not happen. Wasnt even close! I would never ever recommend this hotel to anyone. Their managament is absolutely terrible and the way they treat their customers is rediculous! Also, my family was told that they could not have clean towels, becuase apparently they only do laundry on thursdays. I am so disgusted with this place. I will be writing to whoever I can, not that they will probably have the decency to respond though. Never stay here, dont waste your money!!! They ruined the experience for my family during my wedding! We gave them alot of buisness having everyone stay there. They should have treated us with much more respect!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The reviews scared me but I was only going to be there for a few hours and didn't want to burn the additional points for the Residence Inn right behind it. This place is fine. Service wasn't great but it was pretty clean and I'd stay again without concern.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I usually love to stay at Marriott owned properties, so I was disppointed when I emailed the General Manager and she did not respond, so I have decided to post it for you all to see:

Dear Ms. Bell,
I am writing to you and will be writing to coporate regarding my stay at Fairfield Inn. I have not checked out as of yet, but could not wait to write you while it was fresh in my mind. I am a Marriott member and make it my business to always stay at a Marriott property during most of my travels. With that being said, I am terribly disappointed in this property. I had a talk with the front end manager this morning. She was very nice and helpful, but still needed to send you a message about my concerns. Although on the outside, the property is very beautiful, even the lobby is beautiful, the actual rooms is where it counts! When I first walked into my room, it had a terrible moldy, musty smell, yet it looked clean. Room 220. I asked to be transferred right away and the front desk clerk was nice and agreed to do so. My sister and I were transferred to another room (209). When I walked into that room, it too had the same smell. The air quality is so poor in there. Not sure if it is the actual air conditioning unit or what. The sheets on my sister's bed were so dirty with yellow stains on them that she took a picture to show the manager. The actual mattress needs replacing as well because it's stained and all warned out. While I was taking a show, little dirty particles began to resurface and the water wasn't draining properly. The toilet tissue holder was hanging off. The refrigerator was cramed into the corner and difficult to open, the shower curtain is moldy and dirty and should have been replaced a long time ago! This room does not meet the standards of a Marriott property! I was ashamed to bring my sister here. She wanted to stay at the Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn, but I encouraged her to stay here. Big mistake! I also noticed that on TripAdvisor a lot of other people had some of the same concerns, but your response was not what I expected from a manager. You did not address their concerns. As a business owner and person, I know that if you spend a small percentage to make your product better, you will get a high return, instead of being cheap and attempting to make 100% profit without investing some of that to better your product. Don't just blow off your customer's concern, because in the long run, it can hurt your business and they will go elsewhere. People will look to go to other properties in the surrounding area! From one business manager to another, when you see concerns such as mine or those on Tripadvisor, take it serious and spend the small percentage to make these changes and it will improve your product! Oh & please replace or clean the elevator carpet! Very dirty! I enjoyed the sauna, pool & little patio.

Marriott Rewards member & customer
Fairfield Inn stay 8/11/12 to 8./13/12

Good:
Breakfast was pretty good and the breakfast workers were available for any concerns. Bravo to the both of them!
The front end manager and front desk clerk were very nice and were of great assistance. Drove to outlets and Rehoboth Beach was great! It was only a 45 to 50 minute drive. We went for the day! Awesome!

Advice:
The other rooms might be ok, but Don't stay in room 209 or 220! If you get hungry at night, there's nothing open after 10PM for eating except Applebee's or the casino. The shuttle to Dover Downs was very dependable and nice.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 209 or 220!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Dover? Share your experiences!