“Cosey and quiet” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Dover
“Cosey and quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a 'staycation' with the hubby. Booked last minute too, so the room had 2 queens, still not a bad price compared to other quality places near by (Sheraton, Hilton...)
Despite being near another hotel and the hwy the room was quiet and clean. The lobby was done up in the modern style, large art, rounded furnature etc. The room had no closet but that was to make space for the microwave, mini frig and extra sink. Bed was firm w a pllow toper. Minutes away from the casino, mall, and anything else you may need. Overall very happy and would stay again!.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Hempstead, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

So we we lost all power due to Hurricane Sandy and Dover was the closest hotel we could find to Long Island for heat and hot water so we took the drive not knowing what to expect and we were pleasantly surprised and very satisfied with this hotel.

The hotel lobby is very well presented. For me, I get an expectation of what's to come by a hotel lobby and when I walked in to this lobby, I immediately said "ok this is nice" and hoped the rooms lived up to the lobby and it did. The rooms were comfortable and will not disappoint. The come equipped with a microwave and refrigerator and if you have left anything like toothbrush, combs etc, the hotel will give you these items and other free of charge.

Three other nice features of this hotel are:
1. Free wifi
2. Free breakfast. This breakfast is not just bagels and muffins, it's inclusive of pancakes made at the touch of a button with the pancake machine, eggs, cereal, granola bars, waffles, bacon, sausage, hot cinnamon rolls, a variety of juices and if this is not enough there were more items to choose from.
3. Lastly, the hotel had computers in the lobby to check your emails and play games etc. if you didn't have a computer with you

In addition to the great internal assets of the hotel, it is very centrally located to a lot of things to do. You are less than 5 minutes from the mall, the movies, the casino, multiple places to eat and shopping areas. It was wonderful to be able to get to places quick. And if you ever get really hungry and don't want to go far, a McDonalds is literally 20 steps outside the hotel doors. This added bonus worked out well for our friends who got hungry late and utilized option.

Downsides to this hotel are: the small gym and if you care about swimming, the pool is small and outside.

Overall, this was a great hotel. There are a lot of hotels in the area other bigger and "better" brands, but I must tell you we chose the best hotel for us. The manager Mr. Fox found out we were there due to our inconvenience of Hurricane Sandy, and he and his staff went out of their way on several fronts to ensure were were comfortable. This part of the stay was invaluable!! To have a caring staff that worries about you made the Holiday Inn Express a must stay for me whenever I am in Delaware.

I encourage you to try it out, I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I came to Dover to go to Dover Downs but refused to pay the prices for DD's room. I used my points to stay at this Holiday Inn. The room was immaculate and super modern. The lobby was very nice as well. The staff was really nice and helpful. Also, the complimentary breakfast was AMAZING considering it was free. I will definitely stay here again the next time I am in town.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stay here a couple of times a year for a dog agility trial in the area. This is an extremely comfortable hotel. We mostly stay in one of the suites which are very spacious and comfortable and the regular rooms are also very spacious and comfortable. They have a wonderful hot breakfast in the morning. The staff are very gracious and welcoming. We appreciate that theya re pet friendly also!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Hoboken, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I booked this for an overnight for business about 2 weeks ago. Was pleasantly surprised with the decor and liked that the hotel was close to the highway.

I settled in to work and saw a bug run across - I killed it. Took it to the lobby and was told that it was only a cricket. They offered to move me but at 10 pm to move all my paperwork and downgrade wasn't an option...and I figured how many crickets could there be.

Low and behold I should have moved. There was another cricket in the bathroom in the morning

How crickets get into a hotel, let alone the 3rd floor is beyond me.

I am seeking a full refund from the hotel

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I travel a fair bit for work, and while most hotels start to seem the same there are notable exceptions and this is one. The rooms that myself and my coworkers ended up with were spacious single rooms, with a large lounging area instead of a desk inside a bedroom. Bathroom may need some updating as it looked dated, but was very pleased about not having to unwind in a cramped space. Will be headed back to Dover in a few weeks and will be headed back here.

Of note - Had a room right outside the elevators, was concerned about noise through the night. No problems. Room is deep enough that I couldn't hear anything unless I really tried.

Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I probably had one of the roughest nights sleep in a while here. I was awoken by a person hitting my door. Presumably the person just accidentally stumbled into the door because it was only one time. The clock said it was :49. Yes, no hour. So I eventually got out of bed because it looked like bright daylight out my window. Pulled the blind fully shut after realizing it was a parking lot light right out the window. Checked my cell and said it is time for some more sleep, 1:49! From that point on, the AC just drove me crazy. Its a window unit that has the controls at the window. Yes there is a thermostat hanging on the wall. But after 3 minutes of messing with it at 2am I realized it isn't operational. So I tried to force the AC unit to run the fan continuously, but that wasn't an option. So every 8 minutes or so it would kick on with a great shudder-shimmy-shake. Even tried to drop the temp to force it to run all the time. But it was adept at cooling and foiled my plan. 4 hours later I gave up and headed off to do my job.

Check in was great. She was high energy and welcomed me. They seem to not staff the hotel after 8:15pm as I came back from dinner and they had the typical sign on the front door saying access via room key only.
I was staying in the area for one night on business. This area is essentially just chain hotels and chain restaurants. You name it and it is here. Two stuck out as not a huge chain so here you go - Shuckers Pier 13 - seafood. Doc Mcgrogan's - seafood - in the casino (dover downs). Doc's bread is day old stuff but the swordfish was pretty good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Dover? Share your experiences!