“over 200.00 loss at this hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Dover
Newport News, Virginia
“over 200.00 loss at this hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

we arrived at the hotel around 11:30 pm on Friday Oct 5th for a 2 night stay. I was greeted by deb L very nice lady. The lobby area looked clean from what I could see. we were assigned rm 204 and was told to go around to the back to access the elevator. The carpet in the hallway and the elevator was nasty and stained and the smell was terrible. The hallway had a mildewy, smoky, funky feet smell. The terrible smells caused me to have shortness of breath, I have asthma. I went to the room but I just could not stand the smells. I went back to the front desk, gave the keys back to Deb L and told her I guess I have to take a loss on the room. There was no way I could have stayed there without having to go to the emergency room for breathing treatments. I was truly disappointed in Holiday Inn. Not what I expected at all from Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: wish I had thought to take a picture of the carpet in the entrance way and the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dover Downtown, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear cheryl w,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review of our hotel. We are hospitality professionals who work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Your comments are very troubling. We take comments such as these seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Neversink, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed here so that we were close to the Firefly Music Festival. The staff were very friendly and easy check-in and check-out. There are many restaurants and shops along the same road. It was a very nice, clean, comfortable hotel. We didn't have any complaints. We would definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Great looking room. Very Clean. Beds a little too hard, not a great sleep. Overall okay room and okay stay. Very close to everything and shuttle goes to casino. Pool was closed and they had some problems with cable chanels. But they have us certificates towards our dinner in thier lobby restraunt. Actually some of the best food I have had and great crab dip with Old bay chips! Still thinking about them!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stopped here on our way to DC from the Lewes Ferry. I was travelling with my husband and son, who had just turned 3. They put all of the families with small children at one end of the hallway, which I thought was a wonderful idea, as other families with kids are much more likely to be understanding if your child throws a tantrum. We had requested a refrigerator for his milk, but they were all in use, so the staff offered to keep it in their refrigerator overnight, which was great service!

The rooms weren't fancy, but they were clean and the beds were comfy. One note to those who are allergic to dust mites - the headboards are upholstered.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We went on a 2 day visit to celebrate out wedding aniv. The staff were good and the hotel was very clean. The staff were helpful regarding the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Union, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My boyfriend wanted to go to Delaware for his birthday for one night so we chose the Holiday Inn because it was cheap. Upon arrival the place looked deserted on the outside and on the inside. Walking in, there was a sign that said no cash at check in and pool closes at seven. My boyfriend put the rooms on his card until the next day, when I would pay for two rooms in cash. Anyway I get to my room and it's a roach floating in our toilet and when we open up the ice bucket, it's chewed up gum at the bottom of it. In another room the AC isn't working. That is like four strikes right there, but we brush it off because after all we are only staying for one night. The next day we get dressed and head out and I stop at the front desk to pay the lady in cash. Oh, and please remember to give the cards back because they charge you fifty dollars a card if you don't return them. Please! fifty dollars for some holiday inn keys. My boyfriend runs back in to give two more room keys in and the lady says oh thanks, I was just about to charge your card. What really ticked me off is that today I wake up and my boyfriend looks at his account and the hotel is still holding the money. He calls the bank and they say that the hotel is still holding the money and they charged him 100 for the one room keys. So my boyfriend calls the hotel and they say its the bank, but my boyfriend says he already talked to the bank, and that she was lying. Now the lady says that she think she lost our information and to give her time so she can print some stuff out. Anyway we are still going through the process of trying to get his money back right now. They must not get a lot of business so they try to get money anyway they can. When you start playing with my money, that's when I get upset. Don't walk, run pass this place! Speed by, don't even take a look at this place!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dover Downtown, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Shanae M,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on your recent stay. Please allow me to apologize for the billing issues you had and any inconvenience may have caused you. I also sorry for the room accommodations that fell below your expectations. I want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay. Thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Panama City, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

When we arrived in Dover, the first five hotels we stopped at were full because of mass power outages in nearby Maryland. When we first arrived at the Holiday there was no vacancy there either, but a cancellation came thru, and so we were able to stay. The beds were comfy, but the air conditioning was subpar at best. Maintenance even came to the room to check it out, and got it working a little bit better, but it was still far inferior for the job. Part of the reason for this is the total lack of air conditioning in the hallways, but the main problem we didn't figure out until we were getting packed up to leave after the second night, when i was sitting on the bed and glanced at the hvac unit and realized that you can actually see daylight around it! The seal around the unit is so poor that the unit just doesn't stand a chance... Customer service was also an issue. After the first night, we debated what to do for the second night, and even called the front desk to see about changing rooms. We were told if we wanted to change rooms we would have to pack all of our belongings, reload our van, vacate the room we were in, and come back four hours later - after the 3pm check in time - to see about getting another room. There was no offer to let us stay put until another room became available. We figured that meant the hotel was booked up for the second night too, so we opted to stay where we were, but boy were we mad when we returned later that evening to find that there were only five cars in the parking lot with ours. With all of those vacancies, there was no reason for the total lack of options we were presented with that morning... Also, be warned that there is NO complimentary breakfast at this hotel. For upwards of a hundred bucks a night, this is unheard of in all of my travels. We we stunned. We actually called the front desk the second night to ask about breakfast hours, figuring we would have breakfast at the hotel before checking out. They advised us of the hours, but neglected to mention that they actually charge extra for breakfast... No thanks. We'll stop at Wawa. And next time we are in Dover, we will be sure to choose another hotel too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Dover Downtown? Share your experiences!