“Charged even though we never stayed in the room!” 1 of 5 stars

Rodeway Inn
222 S. DuPont Hwy., Dover, DE 19901 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Ranked #21 of 21 hotels in Dover
Smyrna, Delaware
“Charged even though we never stayed in the room!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This has been a horrible experience with this hotel. We made a reservation one night and when we got there decided to cancel the room. We never stayed, never received keys, nothing. I was told there was a charge for liabilty, in case anything happened damage wise to the room, there was nothing I could do its their policy. Fine, I was told it would be refunded in a couple of days, but it wasn't. Instead I was charged 3 times! In 3 days! (see photos) Even though I NEVER stayed in the room. I called the Manager, Monica Anderson, who told me that a guest, not an employee or housekeeper, said they saw me leaving the room in the morning. Ridiculous! A guest? I denied the accusation, dumbfounded by the fact she even said that. I got upset with her then she hung up on me. Save yourself the headache travelers. Dont stay here!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here on our way back home from the Outer Banks. We had some trepidation after reading the reviews here but went ahead anyway. Honestly, it's not nearly as bad as some of the reviews make it sound. Our check-in was smooth, the desk person very polite and helpful. The rooms were very clean. They were pretty small compared to others we've stayed in but the beds were freshly made, the carpets and surfaces were clean. Bathroom was clean but the fixtures could stand to be updated, they were a little on the old side. Not a lot of noise made its way into our room in spite of being right on a busy road. There are a lot of restaurants nearby, a Target store, etc. Pretty convenient location. We would most definitely consider staying here again next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed at this Rodeway Inn as a stop along the way in during a road trip. It was sort of expensive for the condition, not so plush. It was clean enough and offered smoking rooms. I liked that you could park right outside your door.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My dog has stayed in better conditions this this place, as a matter of fact I wouldn't want my dog to stay here. The room rates are way to high for the quility of service they offer, i had to clean the bathroom before we could use it, used a whole can of lysol to get the stinch out the room and could not sleep for feeling like something was crawling on me on night. On top of that I was double charged for my stay and had to wait 7 days to get my money back. Needless to say we will not be staying at this place again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Rodeway Inn this past weekend during the sold-out weekend in Dover for Firefly Music Festival. We booked hotels too late and Rodeway was the last option for us.
I get that its a busy weekend and they are at liberty to charge whatever they want, but really, $160+tax per night? In those rooms? NOT ok.

The stairwell and terrace area is so ridiculously dirty. We get to the room, which is a 'non smoking' room, and it reeks of cigarette smoke, and there is an ash tray on the table. There are stains on the comforters and bed skirts, wall and ceiling. (My friend and I had a feeling that this wasn't exactly going to be a clean & comfortable stay for us, so we brought our own sheets, pillows, and blanket. The TV remote was greasy (god only knows why). The 'clean' towels had stains. Worst of all was the bathtub. FILTHY. I've never seen anything like it. We wore flip flops in there while showering. It took me forever to shower because every time my body touched the wall I was so grossed out that I had to clean myself again.

All of the above being said, the staff at the front desk was very pleasant.

I know that this is a budget hotel but don't think its okay/acceptable to be in this condition. I wont stay at another Choice hotel again. To me, this just shows a lack of respect & regard for people who don't have a lot of money to spend on a hotel stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
West Palm Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We didn't stay. We looked at our room and left. The room smelled of smoke, there was a below-the-window air conditioner, the hair dryer looked like something from the '80s, there was no clock, and the TV was old.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Mount Holly, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We went to Dover for the NASCAR races in June. We were looking for something close to the raceway and we paid a pretty penny for it. The Rodeway Inn is NOT worth the extra that you pay on a race weekend. The front office staff was very pleasant, which was a plus.
We got to our room to find brand new carpet, which was great, however, there was no telephone, no smoke detector and no alarm clock. Maintenance came and put a smoke detector in, but I would bet the farm that it wasn't connected properly and simply put in there to ease our worries.
We received a clock, but the room remained without a telephone.
The place was clean, but I ended up stepping on a very sharp pin object later to find out it kept the skirting on the bed. Ouch!
On our first morning, we woke up to housekeeping screaming and yelling in a fight with people who were not staying at the inn. It was very disturbing and made us a bit hesitant to walk outside at all.
I would recommend anyone heading to a NASCAR race on a race weekend to NOT stay here. You will have to spend extra money during race weekends and I wouldn't spend it here.

Room Tip: No recommendation. I would not tell even my worst enemy to stay here.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!