“Great Value” 4 of 5 stars

Book now and save 25%
Ranked #3 of 20 hotels in Dover
“Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I am a frequent traveler (diamond on hilton). This hotel is an excellent value. Nothing really exceptional, but nothing bad at all. In fact I will continue to stay here. It is a great choice if you are in Dover.

• Stayed March 2013

217 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Belleville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hidden behind the Exxon and the Wendy's, I drove past it 2 times before I finally spotted it. I was early and did not expect to be able to check in but my room was ready and immaculate. The staff was very friendly without being cloying and provided all the information I needed to enjoy my stay. I walked by the pool and fitness facitlities and they seemed well kept, but I did not have an opportunity to try them out. I only had 1 issue, and it's an issue I have EVERYWHERE I have stayed in the past 2 years (not just Hiltons). I am a bath taker, a rare breed obviously, because more often than not, I return to my rooms to find my tub not cleaned properly. I am pleased to say that this only happened ONCE at the Hilton Dover!!! THANK YOU! And it was resolved within 10-minutes of my calling housekeeping. I only ate 1 dinner in the restaurant and I think they were having an off night because the bartender was the waiter and admitted that it was not his forte... and both meals served (mine and another ladies) were not up to snuff. Mine Salmon was over-cooked and I don't know what was wrong with her meal but she sent it back so, maybe a new chef was on-duty. Regardless... the manager came out and spoke to us both and made sure that our needs for resolution were met to our satisfaction. I didn't have a chance to give them another try, but the restaurant did good business during my stay so... I'd venture to say that night was an anomoly. Bottomline... The Hilton Dover is locked in as my place to stay in that area for the facility and service alone. But... add to that... it is right across from or down the road from the Mall, Dover Downs, several really good chain and local eateries (You HAVE to go to Family Restaurant) and 15-minutes from Historic Downtown Dover and Dover AFB.

Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I got a King Suite, you'd think that'd be good. It was over the pool and I could hear the kids playing in the pool the whole time I was there. The room was pretty dirty and the furniture didn't want to keep it's drawers shut. You'd walk by and they'd open on their own.

The front desk staff was missing on multiple occasions. Phones ringing, people standing by the desk, nobody around.

And the breakfast staff might as well have been missing. I saw people there but they didn't bother seating anyone or taking any orders or even bothering to leave a check. Forget about getting a cup of coffee. What should have been a 15min breakfast turned in a half hour or more just from trying to flag someone down so we could pay. It's not like they were busy, there way maybe 2 or 3 tables in use.

Nothing about this is a Hilton Garden Inn except the name.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dave W, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dover, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We are sorry to hear you were disappointed in our service and the appointment of your room. We strive to make every guests' stay pleasant through positive service and amenities and we will use your comments on our breakfast and front desk service as we constantly strive to meet this goal. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality stay you have come to expect from us should you return to our area in the future.

David Walker
NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I consider myself a frequent traveler and in general am very satisified by Hilton properties. I was impressed when I walked into this hotel, you can see they have spent some $ revamping the lobby. The room was pretty standard with a traditional hum when the A/C/heater ran. However, I woke up in the middle of the night to an intolerable loud sound coming from the heater. It scared me to death and I ended up turning everything off to get it to stop, which means i woke up to a fridgid room (DE in February). Upon check out I explained the issue to the front desk lady and she was very nice and comped my room (only reason they aren't getting 2 stars), but said it happens when they have a lot of rain, something about icing over something and the maintenance guy needs to defrost it essentially...she also said they haven't replaced all the units because it would cost a lot of $. I would have gladly paid for that room and more to have an uninterrupted night of sleep. I hope the management realizes this "little" issue is a big deal to travelers.

Long story short, I'd be apprehensive to stay in this hotel if ever in the area again. Also, unless you have a free breakfast coupon, I'd skip it here, have had much better HGI breakfast buffets.

Room Tip: Ask if the room A/C unit is in need of defrosting if the area has had rain.
Cockeysville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Really like this quiet safe location with excellent accommodations, good night's sleep, great knowlegeable staff. Breakfast at hotel was conveinant so that I could be on my way to sight see. Would stay here again. Wanted to stay longer.

Room Tip: Ask staff for recommendations for anything that you are looking for, directions, etc.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were heading south from New England to the Outer Banks on Valentine's day, and fatigue set in right around Dover. I saw that there was a Hilton Garden Inn, so decided to check out the rate. The rate was great...and they had room...and check out was not until noon.
The beds were fantastically comfortable. Just the right softness, and the sheets were comfy. The room was clean and smelled nice. OH - and the man at the front desk was SO friendly. Easy check in and check out...well appointed room, close and convenient to the highway.
But there is a down side....the walls are PAPER thin! We could overhear the conversation of the couple next door.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We waited at the desk to check in for five minutes or more while desk was on the phone. Chose this hotel because it had a whirlpool. Got suits on and ready to get in but the water was only luke warm. Very disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Dover? Share your experiences!