“Needs bath updates but good for what it is” 3 of 5 stars

Sea Esta Motels I
2306 Highway 1, Dewey Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #12 of 12 hotels in Dewey Beach
Baltimore, Maryland
“Needs bath updates but good for what it is”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The GM described this motel best in response to the 6/21/12 review- "We are an affordable motel with great location."

The staff was very accommodating and granted our requests for both an early and late checkout. I was VERY pleased with how NEW the mattresses/bedding was. We slept well.

Wish I could have said the same about the bath-it was old and outdated- in need of new flooring, caulk, and there was way too much mildew on the shower ceiling- since it was off season, housekeeping should be able to keep up with it. Like other posters, we had issues with doors shutting properly- friends that we traveled with also had trouble with their bathroom doors (rooms 18 & 20.) However we had really good water pressure for an older motel.

The Sea Esta has that "old motel by the beach" feel and smell to it. Looks likes Sea Esta #1 has the hand me downs from the other Sea Estas- our furniture had seen better days. If the bed hadn't been so new, this review would have gotten a 2.

This motel is good for a short stay- our group stayed two nights (and rented three rooms), and that's about the max. Based on the amenities/cleanliness, I feel that's it's better suited for groups of friends than families.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Brandon M, General Manager at Sea Esta Motels I, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
SOrry about the delay in writting back to you on your last say with us. I can let you know that your thoughts have been presented to the owner in the of off season this year we did replace a many of the bathroom floors and cut out the old caulk that you noticed. We also recently purchased new comofrtoers for the beds as well.
We hope you will like the improvements we made and look forward to seeing you this seson at the Beach.

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ocean City, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there last Sunday. Rooms are very dated and in need of renovation. Although clean they need freshening up. Was concerned with safety..couldn't tell if room was locking for me.. Staff very efficient and friendly...great location

• Stayed August 2012
Brandon M, General Manager at Sea Esta Motels I, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay. We are always looking for new ways to update and renovate our location. We do appreciate your time with us and we are doing all we can to keep as up to date as we can. We look forward to seeing you again.
Nanticoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

The Quiet, Safe and well appointed room was well worth the inexpensive cost.
The beds were big the service friendly and the overall experince pleasant.
I recomend this clean and easily located motel to any weary beachgoer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Brandon M, General Manager at Sea Esta Motels I, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thanks for the nice comment on the site. Often times people forget that the main attraction is the beach and the local area and pay too much attention at wanting the fanciest amenietes and cholcolates left on the pillows. While that is nice to have sometimes, that is not who we are. As you stated in your title we want to be a Great place at a Great Price.
Thanks again for your recent stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stayed 7/22/12 and enjoyed it very much. The Sea Esta I is a basic hotel but not much more is needed at the beach. It is an older property that hasn't been updated in a while but makes up for it with comforts such as microwave, refrigerator, complimentary coffee, and HBO. It offers a wonderful location walking distance to the beach and provides a venue where you can stay with your dog. I found my room clean and the staff very friendly. I also really appreciated the free internet service. It's a great place for brief visits, if you are to stay for a week I'd recommend renting a condo or house, but it is just fine for a weekend or long weekend visits. The price was a bit high but it is comparable to the other motels for July, prime summertime. If you want a newer property then Sea Esta III or IV would meet you needs but you will need to walk further to the beach. I choose this motel for its location and was not disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
THank you for your recent stay at our hotel. We do have a great location being right on the beach side in Dewey Beach, but also not have the high prices of some other hotels in the area. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you back with us agian soon.
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

2nd time staying here. 1st time was in 07 and its the same as i remember it then. Basic place to lay your head and take a shower. Its in a great local so thats a bonus. I was there on July 13-15 weekend, the running of the bulls weekend so it was very busy, everything sold out. Luck out and got the last room here. it was a 1st floor room, walked in expecting the worse but I was pleasantly surprised, Ac worked , they had clean towels , shower was a bit dirty but I wore my flip flops and that was that. When I was leaving I sat in my car a bit eating breakfast and watch the two lady come into the rooms and start cleaning, I def would not want that job, come in after a bunch of drunking people doing whatever in the rooms etc. They do there best a I guess and that all I can expect. The owner is nice and thats all i can expect when I stay at a place like this. Would I stay here again? Yes . The only thing I can say need to be improved wouild be the showers but other than that, I brought my on sheet and pilow but I do that at any hotel so .. enjoy..

Room Tip: Its a motel not a 5 star.. so all rooms are the same
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Brandon M, General Manager at Sea Esta Motels I, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay with us. We hope you di enjoy the running the the bull. We do try to be a great place to stay for a great value. I am sorry to hear about your tub though. We will definilty have that looked at and throughly cleaned and refinished.
Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again in Dewey Beach soon.
Germantown, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

i use to love the sea esta motels; 1 was our favorite but after this last visit...no more!!!
THe toliet was dirty and the place smells of mold. Our sheets had not been changed from the last guest because there was sand in the bed....ugh. The location is great but the rooms are dirty dirty dirty. We will be looking for another hotel in the future and it's ashame because it is in a great location and we get to bring our 4 legged child!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband and I found ourselves stranded in Dewey/Rehobeth for the evening and found a vacancy at the Sea Esta I. When we arrived at the front desk, they wanted to charge us $98, and yet we had found it on Expedia moments before for $69. The front desk told us to book it on Expedia. So we did. And moments later we were checked in at the lower rate. Always check the discount travel sites before you check in.

The girl at the front desk was very helpful and very personable. She was a great front desk operator.

The room was a room in a motel. It definitely smelled as though the room had been doused with industrial stregnth cleaner so as to maybe lessen the damage done by the many seniors (as in recent high school graduates) who had partied there the week before.

It is a great location. It is close to the beach and all of the restuarants in Dewey and a few minutes drive to Rehobeth and the ferry (which is where we were headed).

It is not a glamourous place. It is a motel at the beach and it is perfect for that. You shouldn't be spending a ton of time in the room anyway! The room is for sleeping and brushing your teeth.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Sea Esta Motels I, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
I do truly thank you for your time and review. We do not try to be what we are not. We are an affordable motel with great location. We hope that all will come to love us for being just that.
Thanks again and we look forward toyour next stay with us.

Been to Sea Esta Motels I? Share your experiences!