“It's a motel!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Dewey Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“It's a motel!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband and I found ourselves stranded in Dewey/Rehobeth for the evening and found a vacancy at the Sea Esta I. When we arrived at the front desk, they wanted to charge us $98, and yet we had found it on Expedia moments before for $69. The front desk told us to book it on Expedia. So we did. And moments later we were checked in at the lower rate. Always check the discount travel sites before you check in.

The girl at the front desk was very helpful and very personable. She was a great front desk operator.

The room was a room in a motel. It definitely smelled as though the room had been doused with industrial stregnth cleaner so as to maybe lessen the damage done by the many seniors (as in recent high school graduates) who had partied there the week before.

It is a great location. It is close to the beach and all of the restuarants in Dewey and a few minutes drive to Rehobeth and the ferry (which is where we were headed).

It is not a glamourous place. It is a motel at the beach and it is perfect for that. You shouldn't be spending a ton of time in the room anyway! The room is for sleeping and brushing your teeth.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Sea Esta Motels I, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
I do truly thank you for your time and review. We do not try to be what we are not. We are an affordable motel with great location. We hope that all will come to love us for being just that.
Thanks again and we look forward toyour next stay with us.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Wallingford, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Other than the fact that this hotel was close to the beach, it was a terrible place to stay. It's perfect for seniors and college kids I guess, but not for middle class familes. We stayed on the first floor, room 8. The tables were sticky like stuff was spilled on them and not cleaned. The bathroom had all kinds of visible mold and mildew in the cubby/shelf area. The telephone on the night stand had food all dried and caked in it and was sticky. The bedding had stains on it. The hotel staff was rude expect for one young man upon check in. Parking is limited and there are no spaces. Some guests would hog two spots or park at a diagonal so unless you got home early from a night at the boardwalk....you were screwed on parking. The room had a musty smell to it. The curtains didn't close all the way and the AC barely worked well enough to cool off the room. Everything is very old and outdated. If you're looking for a really cheap hotel room near the beach, this is the place to go. Especially if you plan to only use your room to just shower and sleep. Although sleeping is difficult. Being on the border of Dewey Beach (party town) you here doors slamming and music and yelling and screaming at all hours of the night.
If you want a clean room and friendly staff, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: get a room on first floor if you can. stairs are wooden and rickety, unsafe.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I concur with much of the reviews, rude maids, old everything, toilet one can hardly sit properly at. BUT it's right near the beach, it's cheap and you can bring your dogs. Our booking was last minute and it met all of the above requirements, so we went for it. For what we paid (around $69 a night) I would say it was a good value. Would I stay there again if the price was jacked? No.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Mid-Atlantic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011 via mobile

A hotel can make or break a vacation and this one definitely broke it. We were so miserable we might never return to the area. These were 5 of the longest days of our lives. In fact, our dogs couldn't wait to leave either.
The constant noise of people slamming doors at all hours was so bad we didn't get a good nights rest until we went home. The wood is rotting so the stairs and walkways are unsafe. We were on the 3rd floor and had only a narrow balcony plank to walk to our rooms. We joked we were "walking the plank" and would drown to our deaths, but the reality is we were genuinely afraid we would fall through the balcony floor as the boards were
warped and loose with nails sticking out. We would periodically trip over them. No elevators so forget about ADA compliance either.
The bathrooms were ridiculous. No human being could physically sit down on the toilets normally unless they were a very (very) small child. Your toes will touch the bathtub even if you could get both feet forward.
Also, this is listed as a dog friendly hotel but there is nothing dog friendly about not having a grassy area in which to walk them. The only grassy part of the hotel were the weeds surrounding a nasty trash dumpster. I was tempted several times to let the dogs go on the floor of the room just so we wouldn't have the hassle of walking them in the gravelly parking lot and going through this 3 times a day. The owners of Sea Esta I have obviously given up anyway!
They make you pay up front and
don't give refunds, otherwise we would have been long gone.

• Stayed June 2011
New Jersery
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Amazing stuff, great owner! Rooms are very clean and comfortable! Locations of all the Sea Estas are excellent! Stayed there on different occasions - with my fiance and later with my husband and parents. Just love this place, will never stay anywhere else in Delaware! And this summer I was happily surprised by a free wireless internet!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Laurel, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

We stayed for 4 nights. The worst motel I've ever stayed in. The toilet was disgusting. Mold and poop in the bowel the first day we arrived. I asked for it to be cleaned. The maid came, changed the towels, but there was still a poop ring in the toilet. They just dont clean the toilets at all. Also, lots of pubes in the shower. Their cleaning service is a total joke. There is also no room to sit on the toilet. The design of the bathrooms are horrible. The rooms smell like mold as well. I will never stay there again, or with any sea esta chain. The management is merely making money out of this. No concern for quality at all.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Sea Esta I Motel that was just one block from the beach. No pool at all, and the rooms were in very poor condition. As one of the kids put it, there was a reason it was called the Sea Esta I, because it was the first one. We stayed one night and left the next day after asking for a different room and were denied. then they had the nerve to charge us for two nights when we only stayed one. Never again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Sea Esta Motels I? Share your experiences!