“Overpriced” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Wilmington North

You added Crowne Plaza Wilmington North to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Wilmington North
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   630 Naamans Rd, Claymont, DE 19703 (Formerly Holiday Inn Select Wilmington - Brandywine)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Claymont
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“Overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

The room and bathroom was clean and well kept. I came in a truck so I parked across the street from the hotel. It is right off the highway which is another plus but 193.00 a night with? No thanks. I would have thought that would at least came with a free breakfast. They take clc lodging though for people who have it.

• Stayed March 2013
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Avery H,

Our Housekeeping and Maintenance Staff were so happy to hear that your found the room to be clean and well kept. We were also very glad you were able to find parking and our location was a plus. We were disheartened to hear the issue with the rate, though the evening you were here the hotel may have been close to sold out. There are many times the hotel has very economical rates for both our business and leisure guests available and hope if your in the area once again, you will stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reading
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed one night. Room was okay, although the shower/tub needed a good bleach cleaning. Hotel was noisy, especially in the outside parking lot. People partied with loud talking in parking lot until after 1:30am with no security to evict them. It was a weekend and maybe there was a function there, but the hotel needed to control the noise for ALL. Carpet in room was old and needed a good cleaning. No continental breakfast.

Room Tip: Get a high floor...we were on the second...may have been better to be away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Fred V,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. Please accept our apologies for the loud guests! we certainly try to make every effort to keep the hotel environment friendly and safe. Sounds like we had some guests having a little too much fun. We will review the incident with our security.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Wilmington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I am staying long-term in the Crowne Plaza Wilmington North. Due to that the staff at the recpetion gave me a room in the 7th floor. Unfortunately it is the room right in front ot the ice machine, what sometimes can be very bothering.

Room
The room is nice and clean. I have no reasons to complain about the room itself.
I complained twice that the fridge in my room doesn't work. Never got a feedback nor is the fridge working since then.
The microwave has been used a lot, what can be seen by a broken part of the turntable. But that is ok.
Rest room is clean and fully functional. Warm water is almost instantly available. Hotel provides you with plenty of Shampoo, and all other kind of material.
HVAC works well.

Ammenities
I expected the hotel to propose me a complimentary breakfast due to my long-term commitment to this place. Unfortunately the staff at the reception is very hesitant in granting that. Not sure how to handle that.
You get every morning an "US today", what is great.
The gym is clean and ok for runners.
The pool seems good, but never been in.
One really bad things is the internet connection which is extremly unreliable. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. This is a big issue, when you want to work from the hotel just want toget entertained.
In the first floor is a washing machine and a dryer which work propoerly.

Parking Space
Plenty of parking in front of the hotel.

Location
Awesome is that you are very close to I-95 and I-295.
Down side is that there is not much around. You need always a car to get to a bar or a restaurant. The Fox is a mile away and the reef is a mile and a ahalf away, not advisable to go by foot due to the traffic on Naamans Road. The next Safeway is about 2-3 miles away.
With exception of a KFC which is very close, are all other decent places about 2-3 miles away.
Right in front of the hotel is a Home Depot and an "abandoned" Mall.

Summary
Hotel is definetly worth the price. Just needs to work on the following:
-Coming back on customers' complaints
-Get all equipment in the room working (in my case only the fridge)
-The internet connection is a pain
-Get your long-term guests an incentive for staying, like a complimentary breakfast

Room Tip: 7th floor is quite and nice. As long as you do not stay in 717. This is the room right in front of t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
MiFe1604,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. I agree we should offer you breakfast for your long term stay. Please contact me before your next visit and I would be happy to arrange this.

Draper, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed here for a week on business. The hotel lived up to what I've come to expect from a Crowne Plaza.

The location isn't very close to many restaurants, but it is across the street from a Rite-Aid, at the crossroads of two major highways (95 and 495), and only about 5 miles from a large shopping center with several restaurants and a movie theatre. The hotel also includes a bar and restaurant, at which I ate one night. The food was decent, although not special, but the service was great.

In fact, the service throughout my stay was wonderful. All the Crowne employees I interacted with were friendly and helpful.

One thing to note, as was mentioned on several other reviews, the hotel is not terribly soundproof, and seems to be a popular location for conferences, groups and events. Come prepared with earplugs if you're a light sleeper.

All in all, the stay was well worth the price ($99/night vs the Christiana Hilton which was going for $199/night for the same week).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Wildiris117,

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about the hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and you found the staff to be hospitable. Please let us know if there is anything we can assist you with the next time you're in the area.

Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My family and I made reservations for two separate nights at the Crowne Plaza - one on the way to Washington, DC and one on the way back home. We reserved two rooms each time. The hotel looked very nice in photos. The lobby was nice and the rooms were quite large and the decor was modern. Although we requested rooms two rooms next to each other, we were on opposite ends of the hall on the first night. Thankfully, the second time around, we were in adjoining rooms. The rooms were not very clean. The carpets in both rooms were quite stained. The grout in the bathrooms also seemed stained or dirty. The desk staff was quite cold, bordering on rude - but the gentleman that brought up an extra blanket was super nice! We new that there was not a free breakfast, but we were not expecting to pay $8 for a continental breakfast. We have three kids and that price was quite steep so we went out to the nearest Dunkin' Donuts. There is also only an outdoor pool which is fine for summer travel. Overall, it was not very family friendly. It was not very friendly, period. Our rooms were non-refundable - we knew this ahead of time but it saved money - so we were pretty disappointed after the first night to know that we had to stay a second night. We will not stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
aj19jj,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm very sorry to hear we did not exceed your expectations. The team at the Crowne Plaza Wilmington North always strives to give our guest a clean and hospitable environment. I apologies that we missed the mark in this case. I would like to discuss your experience in detail. If you have the time please contact my office.

Jeff

Travelers are raving about these Claymont hotels

Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed here one night for local sporting event. Although the hotel was filled with teenagers, not just from the sporting event I attended but a major softball tournament, it was quiet in my room -- the hotel is well-soundproofed. Room was large, bed comfortable, everything worked.

Only complaint is that the (small) outside pool was really dirty, and I'm not OCD about where I swim. On a hot day it would have been nice to get some laps in for exercise in early morning, but the water really was too grody to get into.

Other than that, a nice place. Oh, and the room service lady was particularly nice.

Room Tip: I was on the seventh (executive) floor although I booked at a low price through Expedia. Perhaps tha...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
njp77,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the room service and that you found the hotel to be quiet and clean. Please accept my apologies for the condition of the pool. Clearly, we dropped the ball!

Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We recently stayed here and all was good until the late evening and early morning hours. The hotel staff (if they can) should not put guests whom are not with a convention or a wedding (such as in our case) on the same floor. We were in the middle of party central with doors banging, people whooping it up and in general a party in the halls late at night. Not a good night's sleep which is what we paid for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from conventions and weddings to insure a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeffrey F, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Kwikkaren,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel. Please accept my apologies for the loud guests. Hope to see you on your next visit to the area.

Jeff

Been to Crowne Plaza Wilmington North? Share your experiences!