“Not impressed.” 3 of 5 stars

Description: (302) 836-5066
Middletown, Delaware
“Not impressed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

It's your average townie bar in a strip mall, but I was particularly not impressed when the advertised happy hour special for "domestic drafts" did not include any beer except Coors, Miller, and Bud. (Thanks, I'd rather be sober.) The food was pretty good, the crowd was so-so, and I'm pretty sure this was our only visit. However, I did get a giggle out of receiving our bill, which was marked as "two young girls" where a table number would usually be displayed. I guess they don't get many mid-twenties single women in that part of town.

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

50% Recommend
Newark, Delaware
“Surprisingly very tasty food! But...questionable cleanliness :O/”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

As another reviewer said very aptly; the ambiance when u walk in is a DE-appetizer... it definitely makes u question eating here. However, I did trudge on because I too was trying it also thru a Groupon deal. I write this review with a sense of mixed feelings 4 Thurston's. Here's the skinny:

The Good:
-The food...
*Burgers were really, really good. I have eaten here 2 times in the last 2 months. Each time I had the burger. I think it's called the Bronco Burger, served with onion rings and a tasty BBQ sauce.
*I went 4 the $1.49 (i think it was) upcharge and got the sweet potato fries---SO GOOD *and I am not a fry person, usually opt 4 veggies if I can. Last time my company had something that I can't remember, but was told it was also very good.
*This time, another cohort of mine had a wrap, I think it was a Tijuana something, Mexican flare and again the report I got was that it was very good and surprisingly large in quantity.
*We also had a cup of chili which was good & I'm told their specialty. It was, however, a tad too spicy which could have been alleviated with a dollup of sour cream or maybe some cheese on top. 4 your taste calibration: my tastes r such that I do like spice & a little heat, I do NOT like 2 have my taste buds burnt off 2 have a good time eating as some do. This being said, the heat from the chili was not the worst, but bordering on uncomfortable heat which would b 2 much 4 many of the folks I know who r spice-phobic in general.
*Although I didn't taste them, I saw wings go by & they looked and smelled terrific.
-The prices r average to good based on taste, quality and quantity.
-Waitress/Bartender (2-in-1 duty) is very pleasant & attentive considering she has 2 work the whole room, literally.

The Bad:
-I suspect they r dirty... at least in bar's drinking glasses. I ordered water both times I went. Not sure what the ??? is going on with this...but both times there was a very odd taste. It had an echo of some odd mixed drink taste 2 it, I can only guess was some sort of alcoholic drink mix, almost like a strawberry dacquari mix. Very odd taste...and it happened 2 times. My friend also had a weird taste this time too. So this does lend credence 2 the dirty bar vibe u get... Not sure they're properly washing those cups. Besides from the gross out germ factor---think twice If u're a recovering alcoholic, u may want 2 rethink ordering really any drink not pre-bottled here,not sure if they have bottled soda as I'm sure this was some trace alcohol in the cups.

-The ambiance has much 2 b desired. It does make u think, ew...dirty bar...drink here only, don't eat. And after the cup story I told u I'd day u have 50/50 chance of total cleanliness. Also 4 a bar, they have the BRIGHTEST bizarre lightbulbs I have ever experienced in this type of setting. Both times I ate there, they knew they had 2 turn them down & thankfully did so. Waaaaaaay too bright and too many light bulbs in these lantern like fixtures.

-It seems like it's a 2-3 man show. We went on a weekday after noon and a Sat nite, each time the pleasant but clearly busy bartender had 2 work the bar AND work the seated customers as well. It's not a big place at all, hole in the wall type place, but still really too large 4 1 person 2 wait on. A cook sometimes delivers your food & it appeared there was 1 other person working, the manager I assume. This may explain y it took a really long time 2 get our chili.

-The bathroom...hmm. They say judge the restaurant by the bathroom. So this speaks 2 me. Speaking 4 the ladies room only... Was it dirty? No, not 2 an obvious extent. It was remodeled pretty nicely...except it has no working dispensers except 4 the soap. So, The toilet paper was sitting on the edge of the sink. Ew! I accidentally knocked it off onto the ground...TRIPLE EW!
And probably worse is the Papertowels were sitting on the back of the toilet....EWwww. Next 2 the flush button. Germs travel, folks.... they don't just stay where they last were deposited. EWwww. So u recontaminate your hands after u dry them from the germs that just crawled onto the papertowels from someone's flushing hand. Sorry it's too detailed...but it's true. Blehh!

All in all: really tasty pub food, friendly service but questionable proper cleanliness. I'd say try it at least once & c what your tastes tell u. I do hope they remove the questionable factors here, as this would b a nice place 2 eat often but I can't say I will do 2 the drinking glass factor alone.

I hope u find this helpful!

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newark
“Pleasantly Surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Tried this place on a whim cause I had a groupon deal for it and was pleasantly surprised. When you 1st walk in your immediate thought will probably be "omg...eat food here? heck no." It definitely has that dirty bar look to it. But the menu is surprisingly decent and the food was great. The burgers and fries and apps were all cooked really well and delicious. If you like good pub food I'd definitely give this place a try. The only other restaurant around I've found that has good pub food is McGlynn's but Thurston's now might be my go to place. Service was also excellent. Note - if you have kids you can bring them it during the day. There were several families there eating lunch. I haven't tried it yet - but their website offers the ability to call in your lunch/dinner order and have it ready when you arrive, good idea for a quick business lunch.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newark, Delaware
“A fun, laid-back time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011 via mobile

A regular hang out for my friends and I. Always a good time. Food is good and lots of choices. Drinks and service are decent. They always have good happy hour specials on food and drinks. Check out Wednesdays for karaoke night. Always fun and they have some good singers.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to Thurston's Pub? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Thurston's Pub, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.