“Felt like I was staying with a favorite aunt and uncle!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elias Child House Bed and Breakfast

Elias Child House Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woodstock
Elias Child House Bed and Breakfast
You added Elias Child House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
50 Perrin Road, Woodstock, CT 06281   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Woodstock B&B and Inns
Sutton, Massachusetts
“Felt like I was staying with a favorite aunt and uncle!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Recently I had the pleasure of staying at the Elias Child House for an overnight with some family members. It was everything I would have expected from a lovely, authentic New England B & B and then some - wonderful crackling fire, beautifully decorated, extremely clean and inviting bedrooms, delicious hearth prepared dinner, mouth-watering made-to-order breakfast, and terrific innkeepers, Mary Beth and Tony, who made me feel like I was staying with a favorite aunt and uncle! The wind howled outside but we were warmed by the kind and easy conversation that flowed with our hosts and and other guests and were entertained by the adorable puppy Nell, who I wanted to steal and take back home with me. If you picture driving up to a lovely, historic and beatifully kept antique colonial, and being invited in and treated more like family than as strangers, you will not be disappointed. 'Can't wait to see how beautiful the grounds, walking trails and swimming pool are when not buried under 3 feet of snow! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

I recently had the privilege of dining and staying at the Elias Child House B&B and had an absolutely delightful experience all the way around. The owners/innkeepers, Marybeth and Tony, were outstanding hosts, treating my family and other guests to wonderful stories about their beautiful, meticulously clean, inn, the 1700s time period and what guests and Innkeepers during that time period might be doing, wearing, eating, etc. The B&B is beautifully decorated with so many interesting time period pieces (many from the owners' own family), from pictures and needlepoint items on the walls, to antique dishes and bake ware, to restored brick, stone and woodwork around the B&B's many huge and gorgeous fireplaces. meticulously clean. My family and I got a warm and cozy feeling the minute we walked through the door, and at meal time we were enveloped in the wonderful smells of our meal being prepared over the open hearth -- ham, dill bread, gingered yams, and a lavender cake -- exquisite. We all were welcomed to participate in helping prepare certain parts of the meal as Marybeth demonstrated how a open hearth meal is cooked. After the wonderful meal and great visiting with our very interesting and enjoyable hosts, my family and I retired to our sweet (Aimee). We spent time pouring over more interesting antiques that dotted the mantel, various shelves and side tables. One family member took advantage of soaking in the antique claw foot tub, and then we all nestled down into our wonderfully comfortable beds, complete with beautiful quilts and down comforters. After a great night's sleep, we awoke to the inviting smells coming from the kitchen and made our way down to the breakfast room where a toasty fire crackled, and we were served endless coffee and breakfast bread (which on that morning was a scrumptious pumpkin cranberry), and then we ate our fill of a delicious breakfast of french toast and eggs. Check-out time came much too soon, as we would have loved to have stayed on....and on...With the warmer weather coming, outdoor activities such as their horse/hiking trails and in-ground swimming pool will make a trip back a must for us! I would give Elias Child B&B 5 out of 5 stars and would absolutely recommend this to friends (have been already!).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Oxford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

Recently my sisters and I took our mother to Elias Child House B & B to celebrate her 75th birthday. Prior to our arrival I had corresponded with owners Mary Beth and Tony several times on the phone and via e-mail regarding the details of our stay and the special hearth dinner we would participate in on Saturday night.They were so accomodating and eager to make the occasion very special for us. The trip was a surprise for our Mother and from the time we arrived none of us could have been any more thrilled.The home was built in the 1700's and has plenty of antiques and characteristics of that period but these are mingled with family heirlooms and whimsical touches that make you feel cozy and right at home. You are actually sharing the Felice's living space - dining area, keeping room, sitting room etc. and they are a warm and genuine couple with wonderful stories to share ( Tony also tells a good joke.) Their puppy Nell is full of energy and loads of fun to play with too!
Our room (Suite Aimee) had everyting we needed for a relaxing night of girl talk and pampering.The fresh flowers and Dove chocolates did not go unnoticed nor did the thick terry robes, the extra quilts on the foot of each bed or the luxurious supplies for pampering that were arranged on the shelf above the claw foot tub. The hearth dinner experience was terrific! Ham on a spit cooking over the fire, pumpkin soup, home baked dill bread, a pounded cheese appetizer that we helped prepare as well as ginger root to peel and chop, nutmeg to grind and whipped cream to churn.The food was outstanding and the experience of helping prepare the meal as it would have been in the 1700's - cooked over the fire and in a beehive oven, was very special - everyone got to help. Mary Beth and Tony shared just the right amount of history during the meal to make it interesting historically as well. After dinner our mother was presented with a personaized birthday card ( made by Tony) which described the meal and a bit about the Elias Child house. Mary Beth produced a heavenly lavendar cake with our homemade whipped cream and nutmeg and we sang happy birthday to Mom- a perfect ending to the evening. She was thrilled!!
We were asked to make our breakfast selections and indicate what time we would like to be served the next morning. A FULL Breakfast is served here. Along with a delicious homemade bread and banana/amaretto/orange fruit dish that we all enjoyed - I had eggs with toast, juice and tea- presented on heirloom china - on a charmingly set table. During breakfast we were already talking about our next visit to Elias Child as were the other guests who had stayed that weekend. I would certainly recommend this B &B to anyone who enjoys the true Bed and Breakfast experience with friendly people, a charming colonial home, delicious food and stories to share. We are looking forward to visiting again in the warmer weather so we can take advantage of the trails, pool and screen porch at Elias Child.

• Stayed February 2011
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

Three girlfriends and I went to New England to enjoy the beautiful fall leaves and purchase antiques. We were impressed with the description and pictures of the Elias Child House. What a disappointment. We booked for two nights and only stayed one. My friend sat up half the night the bed was so uncomfortable, the room and shower were dirty (I have pictures if interested.) We take a trip together every year and this is the first B&B that I have ever given a bad review. However, breakfast was not bad and the bones of the house were wonderful. We were charged for the second night even though it was misrepresented and dirty. Upon my return I had a letter saying we would be charged on my Visa for a dinner that we did not stay for. I had given her my Visa to confirm the room not dinner. I called the Visa company and stopped payment. We had planned to enjoy the fireside dinner the second night but in no way was I going to stay there a second night. She literally tried to jerk the camera out of my hand when she saw me taking pictures of the room after I had told her we were leaving. The reading material in our room included Popular Mechanics, not exactly what you expect in a historical bed and breakfast. I would be happy to email pictures, even though she stopped me before I could take all that I wished to take.
Barbara Hansen - San Diego

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Westport, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

My husband and I spent our anniversary celebration up here for a dining and golfing weekend at the end of August. Our hosts MaryBeth and Tony contributed so much to make our weekend perfect. Tony not only recommended a great golf course to play nearby but was also happy and willing to join us for a round of golf. Our time at the Elias Child House was so enjoyable that we soon returned with friends to resume the wonderful experience this weekend where we played more golf and also partook in an enjoyable hearth dinner at the inn with Tony and MaryBeth who shared their knowledge and enthusiasm for 1700's dining and 2010 hospitality at its best. We and our friends we never forget this weekend at the Elias Child House in the quiet corner of Connecticut. We shall return for more!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed one night with Mary Beth and Tony while traveling through NE. I wish I had the room to say all the great things I would like to say about this place. The house was built in 1714 with an addition added in the 1800's. It is a gem. Hugh fireplaces, a great sitting area, a wonderful trail to walk. Mary Beth served us a delicious breakfast before we left and I feel lucky that we hit it just right to be the only guest the night before...we got to have the place to ourselves. Mary Beth made us dinner reservations at a local inn and it was wonderful. This was one of the best places we stayed on our 6 night trip. Don't miss it!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

About 9 years ago I started searching on line for a bed & breakast within 3 hours of our home. After searching on line I found the Elias Child House. It's become our home away from home. We've worked our way up to at least three times a year. Elias Child House is a warm welcoming place. The owners, Mary Beth & Tony along with their new puppy, Nell, do their best to make you feel right at home. Breakfasts are made to order. Every morning Mary Beth serves a home baked bread and jellies. On our last stay we had blueberry lemon bread & rose geranium jelly. Yum! If you go in the summer, there's a beautiful pool. Elias Child House is dog friendly & our dog, Buddy, just loves it there. He's right at home. He & Nell have become great friends.

The owners have become good friends of ours and we look forward to our next visit. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Elias Child House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!