“Wonderful New England Fare” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Cheshire
“Wonderful New England Fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The Curtis House restaurant offers a wonderful menu, a variety of dishes at a modest price. We dine at the Curtis House frequently and are never disappointed. Our favorites are the Pot Roast, Prime Rib, Stuffed Shrimp, and Turkey dinners. All have been superb. Their all inclusive menu options provides soup or salad, entree and dessert. Try their creamy dill house salad dressing - its wonderful. Their onion soup is great as is their clam chowder. My favorite dessert is the Butterscotch Cup Custard - outstanding with only a mild taste of butterscotch. Several years ago their coffee was better than it is today but overall we just love The Curtis House.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

philadelphia
“We were impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Hi! This was our default choice for Memorial Day late lunch/early dinner because the Good News Cafe was closed for the day, and we were absolutely delighted with this place. My wife ordered the turkey dinner and I ordered the fish and chips and both dishes were models of their type.
I love fish and chips and order it frequently HOPING that now and then I will get what it is supposed to be. This one set the standard. My wife raved about her turkey. I got lobster
bisque with the meal and my wife got a salad. Both were included in the very reasonable price. What more could you ask?

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Roxbury CT
“Far From Mundane Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I had dinner here with a group of friends on Saturday May 10th and my party, as well as the other diners, seemed to be having more than a mundane evening. We ordered the Filet's and they were cooked perfectly. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion but for someone who has dined all over Litchfield County and New York City you will not find a better place to enjoy a meal with friends, with decent selection of entree's at this price point. Their Prime Rib and Filet's are a steal for under $30. I guess if your looking for Metro cuisine this is not the place for you. But if enjoying a wonderful meal, with excellent service, in a family run business is mundane then judging by the weekend crowds I guess am not alone.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Woodbury, Connecticut
“Where people with low expectations gather for a mundane dinning experience.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Even though I've lived in the area for nearly a decade I've only been four times, twice for business functions and twice because I forgot how awful the food was on the previous occasions. I can't understand how this place is always busy. The staff is pleasant (mostly), but the decor is drab and the food is a huge disappointment. I hope I can remember that next time I think about going back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
CT
“Enjoyable experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

This was second visit in two months. Although I do miss the relish tray and the home baked bread basket, I have no complaints about the 'new Curtis House'. Our male server was excellent and we all enjoyed our meals and our desserts. My one complaint (and probably just me being picky) is the rolls being served. The first time I noticed they were tasteless and this time, over heated I guess--dark, hard, and still tasteless.
Maybe they could go back to baking some loaves to serve. Or just sliced bread would be better than those rolls.