“Excellent value at a jump-off point for Upper New England” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double Points
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Windsor Locks
Hockessin, Delaware
“Excellent value at a jump-off point for Upper New England”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

This is a first generation Homewood Suites. I heard one of the managers say it was one of the first 5 Homewood Suites ever build. That means that the rooms may be a little smaller than newer generation Homewoods, but the big difference is that there are separate building and the connection to the main lobby building is outside via sidewalks. Overall, the property is in reasonably good shape. However, the area is near Hartford's Bradley Airport and the grounds are confined and have an industrial feel. The typical ammenities of a Homewood Suites are there-- kitchen, separate bedroom area, two TVs, sofa, lounge chair, dining table, etc.

We use Windsor Locks as a midway stopping point on our 12 hours drives to upper New England for the past 10 years. It is a very safe area with all the conveniences of the suburbs-- plenty of shopping, restaurants and basically just off I-91, the main north-south road to northern Vermount and New Hampshire as well as Western Maine. Windsor Locks itself is a blue collar area but is very safe for a traveler.

This year, the Homewood Suites won hands down for the best value of the hotels along the Bradley Airport hotel row. The pricing ran under $100 and you can't beat that price for the size and accommodations offered. We stayed there going to our vacation and coming back so we experienced two different rooms. The stay going was perfect. Nice room although a tad on the small side for a Homewood with fairly new furnishings and in good shape. The room coming back, however, had furniture that showed a lot of signs of wear and was rather noising at night-- people above us must have checked in at 1AM and made noise for close to 45 minutes. The desk manager made an adjustment for the inconvenience which was very satisfactory. The hotel also offers a typical Homewood Suites breakfast which I have always found to be head-and-shoulders abover most other chain hotels we've stayed at; this was no exception. For a one-night stay, this was a great value Ask for a room with a separate outside entrance-- some of the buildings in the complex offer those rooms and they tend to be larger. We stayed in the two building at the back of the property where the room entrances were all from an indoor hallway (three story building versus two story for the rooms with outside entrances). The grounds are not terrific but they do have a nice outdoor pool in a courtyard between buildings.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

The place in general is pretty worn and in need of a renovation. The general property and main building look inviting and appealing but they fail in the rooms. The rooms are just outdated. The mattresses are comfortable but the place overall is tired. Tried to work with management and switch rooms. One room had roaches and the other that was offered had ants.

I think it is 3 or 4 buildings overall. Some buildings have access via an outside door and another with interior halls so it feels like a dorm. In the “dorm” building the access doors are only locked after 11pm. There is plenty of free parking. The wi-fi is free but is slow to load any web site; forget about anything with video. The hot breakfast and manager reception are nice. For better or worse, they change morning and afternoon selection everyday but you won’t leave hungry. It is free. The gym is in the main building is small but pretty standard; it has a multipurpose machine, area for one mat, and a few cardio machines with their own tv’s (which have access to all the room channels except HBO). It has a basketball court, pool, and outdoor gas grill which guests can use. People were using these amenities typically late into the night. I didn’t hear noise from it, though.

They are right next door to a pool hall which some people love. They are walking distance to several fast food places to eat, two restaurants, and two small convenience stores. The room has a kitchenette with stove top so you really don’t need to eat out.

I have a T-mobile phone which is not a good idea in Connecticut. I changed my first floor room as there is no signal whatsoever in the room. It also didn’t feel safe as people are walking right by your room and windows weren’t exactly the best. The next room on top floor had signal, poor, but better than none. In the new room, I grab the remote from the nightstand and a thumb-sized roach popped out. I spotted a smaller one behind the dresser as I changed rooms and packed my bags. The next room had an actual ant hill under the kitchen sink. I checked out the next morning since it was late in the day already. I stayed there for about 1.5 weeks and stayed in another area hotel for 1 more week in the area for work.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Homewood_Suites_CT, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford/Windsor Locks, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Thank you for giving us feedback on our hotel. I apologize that we did not provide you with the quality of room and service you deserve. We pride ourselves on making sure all of our guests have a comfortable stay at Homewood Suites. I would like to invite you back the next time you are in the Hartford area so you can experience a more memorable stay. Judith Young, Director of Sales
Syracuse, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

I stayed here with two of my daughters recently when we were in CT for a weekend. I wanted a hotel close to the airport because of late arrivals and early flights out. The location here was ideal, but we were also favorably impressed by the front desk staff and the clean, very comfortable room.

We were graciously given an early check-in (11 AM). I was using points to pay for the first night and putting the second night on my credit card - something that has confounded many a desk clerk in my experience. However, the woman at the desk told me she could keep us in the same room for the second night of our stay (not a given at several hotels where I've covered one night of a stay on points), and had the paperwork waiting for me at 7:30 the next morning. When we left for the day and I remembered I'd left the "Do Not Disturb:" sign on the door, I phoned the desk and she told me she'd be sure that housekeeping went in to clean the room - which they did, very well. It was such a pleasure to deal with someone with a professional attitude who clearly cared whether her guests were satisfied.

The room itself was clean, well-maintained, and had very comfortable bedding. The bathroom was quite small, but there was a large counter and sink outside, which made it easy for all of us to get ready at the same time. I ran the dishwasher once, not realizing that clean dishes and silverware are kept there because the drawers and cabinets are full of serving utensils, pots and pans, bowls, etc. I thought that a previous tenant had left the dishwasher full and only later noticed signs that everything in the dishwasher was clean (feeling like an idiot when I finally read them). The dishwasher was noisy, but worked!

The carpeting was tired in the elevator and hallway, but those were the only signs of wear I detected. There are several buildings in the complex, and we were in the one farthest from the lobby - only a 2-minute walk, but I prefer a hotel where everything is under the same roof. The parking lot was well-lit and felt secure, however. I will absolutely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

The suite was nice, no real complaints. The elevators were a bit distant from where my room was. I had a lot of gear with me so for most it will not matter. The front desk folks were efficient if not friendly. They have beer/wine evening deal which was ok. Never made it to breakfast in my 5 days so no idea if it is worth it.

If I was to have to be in Windsor Locks again I would go here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Bloomfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

I have stayed in some really nice hotels and I must say this one is in the top 3. Love the wood burning fireplaces~

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

i am familiar with these properties from previous stays at other locations.
this one had the best front desk staff by far...carol was lovely..calling my room about 30 minuts after i arrived to see that i was pleased with everything..beacuse i had a very early 5am departure she offfered a "breakfast bag" since the breakfast starts at 6am..as promised bag with fruit/yogurt and bagel ready at 5am...
suite was cleaner than others i'd been to and appointments were great as well. fireplace with fire log added a really nice touch to a cold snowy night..
this area received 30 inches of snow the day before my stay and all walkways, steps and parking bays were clear of both snow and ice..a difficult job i'd imagine!
i will definitely stay here again

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
weston, ma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

I agree with the other reviewers that this Homewood Suites has an apartment-like feel to it as the entrances all outdoors as well as to the main building. This Homewood Suites lacks the ambiance of other Homewood Suites / similar hotels as there is not much landscaping and the hotel is located near the airport on a very busy strip of road. Aside from a few fast food restaurants, there isn't much in the area in terms of dining options. This Homewood Suites used to be pet-friendly and now has restricted pets to only small (under 20 lb) dogs. Despite repeated emails to their management, they have not responded or will make exceptions to this policy, so I will not be returning.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford/Windsor Locks? Share your experiences!