“Poor management” 2 of 5 stars
Review of HillsPoint Hotel & Conferences

You added HillsPoint Hotel & Conferences to your Saves list
HillsPoint Hotel & Conferences
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   383 South Center St, Windsor Locks, CT 06096 (Formerly Bradley Hotel)   |
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Windsor Locks
“Poor management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My room was fine nothing special could use updated comforters they are atleast seven years old. I stayed in this building when it was Howard Johnson and it is the same blankets not sanitary. The building has come a long way since it was Howard Johnson . A big shock was how the head of housekeeping talked to her employees no one deserves to be treated like a low class citizen I could hear her through my door I felt embarrassed for her employees. I went to walk to my car she was outside smoking talking on the phone very loud about things children should not hear. Anouther issue was Jen and Philis at the front desk. I dont think jen knew fully what she was doing hanging up when we called front desk I asked for extra towels she said I had to wait until she could find someone to get them I waited two hours. Philis I have never experienced such rudeness for someone working front desk. Melissa though was amazing. You also have to pay for shuttle but cheaper hotels near there are free.

• Stayed September 2013
Ty C, Manager at HillsPoint Hotel & Conferences, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
laylaflowern - Thank you for your review and repeat business. I am sorry that this visit didn't go as well as your first. We hope you try us again the next time that you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
St. Thomas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed here last night and I am not sure where to begin. I had to change rooms (room 170) due to the fact that my sliding glass door lock was broken and the security bar would not work. This after someone tried to either enter or bang on the glass. There was a crowd of people gathered in the parking lot. My new room 273 was horrible. The carpet was ripped right near the door and the room smelled of smoke. The bathroom had paint all over the floor, counter and even IN THE TOLIET. The pillows felt like foam balls. The blanket needed to be retired. The carpet was just gross. The AC was noisy and had same paint issues as toliet. I say all of this as this hotel (motel?) is listed as a three star and I can not I imagine for the life of me why.

Room Tip: Do not stay in 170 or 273
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Scott M - Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations.
Southbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was really impressed with the people. They were like family. From the woman who took my reservation at the front desk, to Jim who drove me to the airport, to Mitch who picked me up-- they were all really friendly as well as professional. I felt cared for and welcomed as a guest.

While the hotel is in the process of being upgraded, it doesn't look the best, but again the people were great. The price of the drive-sleep-and fly stay was reasonable.

Thanks to all--I'll recommend to others and I'll be back! Loved the vegetable garden!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ty C, Manager at HillsPoint Hotel & Conferences, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
777GSC - Thank you so much for your 4 star review on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate the kind words. We hope you visit us again the next time that you are in the area.
Windsor Locks
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This Hotel pictures and website are deceptive. I discovered that there was no free shuttle. The price is $16 per trip, that is $16 to and 16$ fro, and reservations are needed for shuttle. Madness. Cheaper hotels in the area have free shuttle. We came in at 1:30 a.m., and our room had cobwebs like curtains in the ceiling. I called the front desk and no attempts by Kevin to move me. He told me in the morning that housekeeping will come. Housekeeping came and Sheila was very helpful, but when we returned in the evening, the cobwebs were still there, but the beds were made. When I called Jennifer at the front desk, she quickly moved us to another cleaner and newer room, but the keys did not work. Jennifer did her best to get at least one keycard to our family. I was scheduled to stay there for another night on my way to Deerfield, but I left early and cancelled my return reservation due to my experience. I will never use that hotel again. Halos to Sheila and Jennifer. Thanks for trying to make our stay comfortable as possible despite problems beyond your control.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Patricia J. - Thank you for your recent stay and your review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your feedback, it was very helpful, and will be used to better the property.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Booked through Hotwire but discovered I could have paid same price through a variety of other methods so no bargain there. We stopped here because we had a long ride from VT to LI and we were visiting our son in CT the next day. I was frankly scared when we drove up, because it looks like a crappy old motel, and it used to be a Howard Johnsons which I would never book in. I was actually pleasantly surprised inside and the front desk staff was extremely friendly. Took a room on 2nd floor to get a King bed, no elevator, which we were warned about. The room smelled odd when we first got inside until I realized it was a paint smell which the well functioning air conditioner eliminated. The room had just been painted, bathroom seemed redone, brand new bed, although there were still some paint drips and chips uncleaned. Cheapest of toiletries. Odd mix of newish and obviously old furniture. Internet worked fine, bed was very comfy, the gym was a joke which my gym rat hubby didn't even use, the pool was warm to the touch and seemed like a very nice area. Continental Breakfast was a bit of a joke aside from the waffles you could cook fresh, a lot of carbs, no fruit except oranges, not even a banana to slice into cereal. Pastries were stale. I think this is an individually owned property they are trying to make nice with limited funds......I'd go for a more name brand hotel next time, although it was fine for one night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been recently redone and for the first floor if climbing stairs is a problem...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bragstarr - Thank you for your feedback and your online review. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Camby, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Where do I start but say that this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in my nearly 38 years of living! For those of you that like direct information I'll hit the high points and low points first, then for those who want details of how bad my stay was read on after that.

CONS:
-Very outdated and worn hotel. Connecticut hotels are worn out in general but if you
have been to the Riviera in Vegas or stayed in a hotel in old Las Vegas you'll get
the idea but for twice the price! There are some "updated" rooms but management likes
to have people randomly thrown into the older rooms. Keep your fingers crossed!

-Poor wireless internet service. C-wing seems to get the best service BUT only if there are
not too many people staying that day. Quite a few rooms are in dead spots with no
service at all. Management knows this yet they continue to put people in these rooms.
WHY!

-Too many hidden rules. By default the average American hotel room is cleaned daily but at
Hillspoint, stay there 18 days like I did and you get no cleaning at all! That's right folks long
term guest get the shaft and I was stuck there because I pre-paid my bill! Below is a list of
their hidden rules for issues such room cleaning:

*Cleaning once a week for long term guest.

*You must pick your day for cleaning otherwise by default you will be
listed as no service the entire time of your stay. Even if you pick
your day they will not honor it or come on the wrong day.

*If you have anything on the floor when they clean they will not vacuum.

*If you anything in the bathroom they will not clean it.

*If you have anything on the bed they will not clean it.

*If you have anything on the sofa they will not clean it.

*If you are in the room they will not clean it.

By now you get my point but don't blame the housekeeping staff. This a rule
management has set. This should be explained before you purchase a
room. Long term guest are second class citizens here!

-Management does not give a crap about their guest. On our first day there my wife
was very upset about having to move to another room due to no internet service. The
manager shows after a simple talk we had with the front desk. Here is a quick rundown
of the conversation:

Wife: We should not have to move because of bad service. This should be fixed.

Manger: We can not control that. Enjoy your stay.

Wife: But every hotel is suppose...

Manager: We can't fix that. Enjoy your stay.

Wife: I don't under....

Manager: Enjoy your stay.

Now I know some of the courtesy of New England can be a bit dry but the management
at Hillspoint is by far the worst I have ever seen. Completely phony.

-Constant equipment breakdowns. I work out a lot. Their fitness center is pretty old but at
least the AC in the room worked... until my 11th day. I asked someone at the front desk
about the AC not working in the fitness room. I was told that the AC broke in a
customer's room so they were ordered to take the fitness rooms AC and put it in the
guest's room. Okay, so I had to put up with it for one day but 7 days later and still no
AC in the fitness room?! Unforgivable! I had a room where a lamp did not work with a
new bulb. Blown out bathroom lights and broken tub stoppers. Work in progress my
butt!

-Hard Pillows. Unless you like feathers in your hair.

Pros:
+The front desk representative named Kevin is the best help there to make a hellish stay
there tolerable. There is another front desk gentleman there that is helpful too but I can't
remember his name. Kevin will do his absolute best to help you with what he can.

Now for those that want to know more: Save your self! Avoid this hotel at all cost! Some of you may have read the review like I did but I am here to tell you that if being able to bring your pets is not a big deal, you don't need more than a few days of staying there nor are you easily impressed with a remodeled pool, stay away! I truly feel the glowing reviews given for this place
are an inside job.

I am not a "people" person. I am not one of those people that get mad about silly things such as a cashier not smiling when I receive my food and etc. I am quiet, mindful of others and usually do not complain but I had such a bad experience I decided to let as many people I know about it as I can.

In 18 days of discomfort I got ONE day of half-*$%# room cleaning in which my bag with several bars of soap that I wanted was thrown out, the 2 newspapers of USA today I did not finish reading thrown out and 2 new plastic trash bags even though I changed them the night before myself. That's it on cleaning.

Hillspoint's main entry has 1970'S furniture, a business center that originally was another front desk (someone thought I worked there because I had on a tie and sat in the "business center" for printing") and a attached abandoned restaurant. The building has tree mold at the gutter edges you can't see in the picture and weak internet service. Don't let the "work in progress" comments fool you. Management is just cheaping-out on certain areas hoping people won't notice. I saw 18 days of this! I wish I could have gotten a refund from the place. I should not have listened to the positive reviews here! When staying in Connecticut stick with the national hotel chains otherwise divide the price you are paying in half and that is the price equivalent of what your paying if you stay in another state! So if you keep your expectations low you should be fine.

The worst thing about this place was the management. They made all these rules that they don't disclose up front and then ask for top dollar! I could manage this place better. How about letting customers know that internet service is bad in certain areas upfront and offer a discounted price if they stay in those rooms? I am sure that if the management there may reads this comment his New Englander mindset will kick in and he'll discredit me as some know nothing hack but don't say I did not warn you if you stay there. So "enjoy you stay" at your own risk or save your self the disappointment.

Room Tip: Ask for good an updated room with good internet service at check in!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ty C, Manager at HillsPoint Hotel & Conferences, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
thesineater - I want to first thank your or your 18 night visit to our hotel. I apologize that our hotel did not meet your standards, and you weren't able to find a hotel that better suited your needs during your two and a half week stay in the area. I would have been happy to recommend several nearby hotels that may have better suited your needs. Thank you for your feedback.

Been to HillsPoint Hotel & Conferences? Share your experiences!