“Quite good” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Middle of nowhere
“Quite good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

A great little hole in the wall, with a combination of what Americans expect Mexican food to look like (burritos, enchiladas, etc.) which we didn't try, and a good selection of entrees. The salsa is indeed very fresh and good, and the shrimp dishes are great - large, perfectly cooked shrimp in flavorful sauces. Very polite server, and nice atmosphere (not a romantic "date" place by any stretch of the imagination, but quirky for a strip mall Mexican place). It is not cheap, but certainly fairly priced for what you get. We'll certainly be back, probably often.

The negative reviewer sounds like someone I would never want to meet in my restaurant. Beyond being obviously high maintenance, comparing authentic Mexican food to On the Border shows little appreciation for this cuisine. "I had an enchilada dinner; my husband had the burrito dinner." Ummm...yeah, those were adventurous picks.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

connecticut
“Horrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

I took my husband out to dinner on his birthday based upon my girlfriend’s recommendation. Mistake. I believe the owner took our order, he was rude. I would start to ask him a question and he would talk over me. I finally had to ask him to allow me to finish my sentence before he spoke. The food came out on a heated plate; it was very hot and nondescript. The best part was the refried beans. I had an enchilada dinner; my husband had the burrito dinner. We could not tell the difference between the two. It was a gooey hot mess with orange rice on one side and the beans on the other. The salsa and chips were good, but you had to pay for the salsa and the chips separately. I never! Everything is a la carte, including the sour cream! A nice woman did bring us our order. I don’t know what the prior reviewer was talking about when he mentioned the charming murals – NOT. The drop ceiling tiles were filthy and the vents were caked with cracking pant and dirt. When we were done I asked my husband for a pen so I could “write” my tip but he hustled me out. “On the Border’ is much better and it’s a chain! Suffice to say we are not going back.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hartford, CT
“Excellent, Authentic Mexican Food and Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

Cinco Demayo may be a bit hard to find. But tucked into a plaza next to a large chinese buffet in downtown Willimantic is excellent Mexican food.

The atmnosphere is intimate, it's not a very large location, about 10 tables with a bar. The walls have beautiful murals on them of a Mexican landscape and seasonally they will throw up Christmas lights or festive lighting for holidays too. The staff is fluent in Spanish but speak good English too. They serve mexican beers and beware, mexican drinks. This isn't a college bar margerita, they have a tequila flavor and a heavy kick to them and their Sangria is excellent too.

The menu is well priced, about $8-$12 per dish but you get your money's worth. Most dishes come packed to the inner edge with non-pasty refried beans and mexican spicey rice that doesn't clump from overcooking or swim from undercooking. Their entrees are all well done and as advertised. What's really to love is their home made fresh salsa. Complete with just enough spice (but not hot) and minced fresh cilantro that you can both see and taste, they sell take home containers of a full serving as well. It's good enough to actually bottle and it's not the yellow corn, black bean, overly garlic or onion goop most other salsa's turn out to be.

I have been back many times and enjoyed a lot of their menu. If you want real Mexican food with a nice atmosphere and good price to portion ratios, this is the best place in the area I have found.