“Bad Experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westport
Toledo, Ohio
“Bad Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I was in town for business Monday-Friday and was put up at the Westport Inn. My complaint is not about the rooms or general appearance of the hotel, both were of good condition. In fact, I really liked my room and the bed was extremely comfortable. Upon arrival, I was told that there would be a complimentary corporate shuttle that would take me to work in the morning. The first time I used the shuttle, I woke up and called an hour in advance because I was nervous about getting to work late. I was told that there was no room on the shuttle and there was nothing they could do. Eventually, I was called back and told that I could go at 8:30, which is when I am supposed to be at work by the way. I took the shuttle 3 days and was 45 minutes late to work each time. Today would be my last time taking the shuttle and AGAIN, I was told there was no room for me. This time I had to take a cab, which actually got me there ON TIME, so I didn't mind paying for it. But if a service is offered, why is it so difficult to get it together?

Another complaint is the bar/restaurant, Bistro B. I went one night and had a good experience with a friendly bartender, etc. Last night I ate at the bar, and was the only person there. The bartender sat on her phone in the back, within my view the entire time. That is, until her friends came, who she let in the back with her. They had inappropriate conversations and I was just blown away at how bad the service was in this "fancy" place it's trying to be. I work in a sports bar and I don't act like that in front of my customers and I never complain, but it was a terrible experience. I didn't want to tip, but I would never stiff someone as I work in the food service industry as well.

Overall experience was terrible and unorganized.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Nora G, Front Office Manager at The Westport Inn, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time to complete othis review regarding your recent stay at The Westport Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding the difficulties you encountered on your recent visit. Though I am glad you found our beds comfortable and rooms in good condition, I am very sorry to hear about the shuttle & restaurant issues and thank you for your honesty. I have shared your feedback with my front desk team, chief engineer, van drivers, our general manager as well as the restaurant's ownership to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Westport.

Kind Regards,

2035578125

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New Egypt, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

we were attending a wedding this is a motel type place drive up to your door Inn is a misnomer
while the room is ok. The dining facilities are less than average so go elsewhere for food. the staff is nice but if you are looking for charm in Westport this is not it
look for a local B and B or the next town

Room Tip: there are 2 buildings we had the front part so it is a motel the back building appears to have bett...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our property. We truly appreciate your honesty.

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2015

We stayed at the hotel for the weekend. Our room was in the back building which cost a little more. The room was very spacious and clean. The bathroom and shower were large. Staff was nice. We got some appetizers and drinks in the bistro. Got to chat with the owner who was very nice. Returned for breakfast which was very good.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Nora G, Front Office Manager at The Westport Inn, responded to this review, March 23, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to complete this online review of your stay at our property.

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your review will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Windsor locks
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

I had high expectations when checking into the Wesport Inn. As a choice hotel owner (Comfort Inn) I get particularly frustrated when other franchise owners do not maintain their hotels, have poor housekeeping, and tarnish the Choice Hotel group reputation.

The Westport Inn is an example of such a hotel. I checked in tonight, entered my room, and left immediately. The beds appeared to be unchanged/cleaned.. they were full of tiny blueish pieces of fabric and were creased in such a fashion as to indicate someone had slept in them before me. The accent pillow on one of the beds was stained. The bathroom was.. gross: the toilet lid was stained and scratched (just replace the darn lid!), the tub was chipped, black with grime, and overall in disgusting shape. The desk chair and laminate on the desk had cigarette burns in them. The room smelled.. musty (moldy?) to me. I don't know why, but a chanced a moment lying on one of the beds... the mattress was in dire need of replacement and the bed squeaked and rattled with every one of my movements. I could hear EVERY bit of noise from outside, from people walking up the stairs to the next level to casual conversations as other guests walked by.

This hotel is in need of some serious maintenance and cleaning. Like I said previously... I checked in, checked out my room, and left immediately.

You could not pay me to stay at this hotel. It makes a very poor example of the Choice Hotel groups "Ascend" collection.

Room Tip: just avoid this place
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Nora G, General Manager at The Westport Inn, responded to this review, March 23, 2015
We appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback on your experience at the Westport Inn and I apologize that your accommodations did not meet your expectations. We are in the process of looking into this matter with Choice Hotels Guest Relations and hope to personally provide you with a resolution. Should you wish to discuss your stay further, I would welcome an opportunity to speak with you and can be reached at (203) 557-8125.

Warm Regards,
Nora Gomez, General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Westport hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2015

An older motel in a great location. Very small bathroom although it had up to date plumbing. Room was very clean; there is a very small restaurant on premises but we didn't try it. Because it is an older property it has parking right at your door. That is fine but it means your door opens to the outdoors. This was a problem during our stay during a particularly cold spell in February. The heating system could not warm the room up satisfactorily. We kept the thermostat on 80 and the temperature rarely exceeded 65. The problem was the door fitted very poorly in the door frame. You could see daylight around the whole perimeter of the door. The half inch gap at the bottom of the door let a lot of frigid air in. We used pillows to block the air flow at the door bottom. Since we were out almost the whole time and didn't feel like moving we made no complaint although we did mention it to the female clerk on checkout. What she did about it we don't know. If you want to be right in Westport this place is good for you but make sure you don't get a room with a drafty door in winter.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Nora G, General Manager at The Westport Inn, responded to this review, March 1, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to complete this online review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed our prime Westport location and I appreciate your honest feedback. I thank you for mentioning the issues you experienced to the front desk agent at check-out so we could investigate and resolve the issue.

The comfort of our guests is our top priority and we will use your feedback to do everything possible to prevent the issues you experienced from reoccurring. We hope to see you again soon!
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2015

The hotels screen on the TV has a tag line "since 1960" I think they might be referring to the last time the cobwebs were removed from the ceilings. There are not a lot of choices in the area so you are limited as to where you can stay when in Westport. The hotel shows it's age despite attempts to modernize. The staff is very friendly and our waitress at breakfast was outstanding. Wish we had her name so we could recognize her in this review. The rooms have outside doors which are not very well sealed. I actually had to take the cushions off the couch and try to block the wind that was whipping through the room all night. Even with the heat turned up to 80, it was a cold nights sleep.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Nora G, General Manager at The Westport Inn, responded to this review, February 9, 2015
We are so sorry that your visit was less than perfect. Our goal is that you leave feeling recharged and well cared for, and we obviously missed the mark this time. Please know that your comments have been forwarded to our housekeeping team and that we are making every effort to improve our overall guest experience. We appreciate your kind words about our staff and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior accommodations in the future.
Bridgeport, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2015

Nice hotel, a little pricey if you're paying full-price, but there's not many options in the area. Check for deals on websites and discount programs, which is what I did. The bed was fantastic. And the hotel was a lot nicer than I expected for a roadside place. As noted in other reviews, the rooms have out-side entrances. The restaurant was decent food-wise, and I'd go again if I stayed there because I like the convenience factor. The restaurant service was fantastic.

Room Tip: The hotel is right off a main road, so I'm not sure about the noise level for the rooms facing t...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Nora G, General Manager at The Westport Inn, responded to this review, February 2, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to fill out this online review with positive feedback! I have shared your comments with my staff as well as the restaurant's staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay (and super-comfy bed)!

We are looking forward to providing you the same pleasant accommodations and service the next time you are in town. We hope to see you soon.

Warm regards,

Nora Gomez

Been to The Westport Inn? Share your experiences!