“Worst place on our road trip.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westport
South Florida
“Worst place on our road trip.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

That's right, after driving 4200 miles, and staying at all sorts of "random" hotels off I-95, most in the $70 range, the Westport Inn was the worst place we stayed at.

What a disappointment. We are actually natives of Westport and have since moved away, but back in the area for vacation. We wanted to patronize our "hometown inn," rather than staying close by in the neighboring towns. Our room (king bed, in the back) was ok. Sort of dated and the walls weren't quite clean, stained a bit, and the carpet also stained. But that was relatively acceptable - the bathroom was not. The bathroom was literally falling apart: wallpaper buckling from the walls, walls very stained and dirty, shower and tub were very old and some areas "painted" white over the fixed and stained areas, the nail holes in the trim were not puttied, tub was sort of "skeevy"; basically, it looked like my great grandmother's bathroom at her never-updated old house in Brooklyn. What a shock. Never have I ever stayed anywhere in my life with such conditions.

The A/C did not work well, for it was humid and warm, much warmer than it was outside. To have a small fridge brought to the room it as $25. And the best, there was hardly any cell service in the room. If you wanted to make a call, you had to stand out in the parking lot.

The real kicker came our first full day there. We returned from a day out, at about 6pm, to find the room not cleaned, bed unmade, with no towels or anything left for us. We called the front desk the girl was confused and asked what about it wasn't clean. We had to explain that the room was UNTOUCHED and now we had a messy room, overflowing garbage cans, and no clean towels. We also said we were coming back to shower for dinner and now with no towels. She asked if our Do Not Disturb sign was up. No. Of course not, we answered. She asked if we wanted to move rooms - to one with two queen beds. We said no - who wants to move a room for one more night? And with a smaller bed? She still tried to get us to move and then finally asked if we wanted to see if she could find someone to clean. We said, no, we couldn't wait around all night waiting for someone to clean and, besides, who wants to have their evening disturbed by some late night cleaning crew? At that point we told her just to send towels.

Nearly 40 minutes later, someone knocked on the door. "I was at the wrong room," the gentleman exclaimed. "What do you all need?" After hearing our answer, he left and came back a half hour later with some towels. Over an hour for the whole process, and of course we wound up being late for dinner.

Our whole stay there (2 nights) we kept saying, I can't believe this place. And especially can't believe it was Westport. I am not exaggerating when I say that we stayed in over 12 hotels, right off the interstate - La Quinta, Quality Inn, etc. All about $65-70. And all blew this place away.

The morning of check out, when the AC still wouldn't get below 76 degrees, we told the girl our experience, and she asked us if we wanted a free breakfast that morning. We politely declined.

No thanks, Westport Inn. What a disgrace. And, IRONY, it was the priciest hotel by far on our trip. Double the others. Wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I were in Westport for a family event and seeing that The Westport Inn was the #1 hotel in Westport, we booked for 2 nights. We were surprised it seems to be the only hotel in Westport too. We usually look for IHG hotels but none were found here. Warm reception at front desk and clear instructions about our stay. First impressions of room were they are small with no chair other than wicker desk chair. Nice king bed but TV was issue all stay. Trying to turn on and stay on was an issue. On site restaurant was a little pricey, 2 coffees was $6.50 (black). Many other restaurant choices close by. Bobby BBQ was awesome with great value.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Nora G, General Manager at The Westport Inn, responded to this review, 6 days ago
We would like to thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay. I am happy to hear you received a warm welcome & clear instructions from our front desk staff and I will certainly be sharing your honest feedback with our restaurant's ownership.

Kind Regards,

Nora Gomez
2035578125
fairfield county, ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Westport Inn is just an average hotel with potential, but sad that they don't put in that extra effort. Here are the positives and negatives (unfortunately, for most of the positives, there is a negative linked to is - which is why it is a shame they can't make it better.

Pros:
Hotel room was very big and clean. We were in the "deluxe" or back building so I don't know about the "classic" rooms - I read they are not as nice, so perhaps be careful. The TV was also large for an average hotel, which was good. The front desk staff was very nice and accommodating. Lobby and common areas were nice.

Cons:
Directly on Route 1/Post Road so not a "pretty area". Room needed more furniture and lighting for its large size. Even though it was "deluxe" and "newly renovated", the paint was already peeling in various places. TV was satellite/dish so each time you changed the channel it took 20 seconds for the new station to come on - a bit frustrating. Pool area was dirty and temperature was too cold.

So overall, the stay was just so-so. If you get a good deal, it might be worth it for a clean comfortable stay, but if you find a better price at the other chain hotels in Norwalk, you might like it better.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad to hear you found our front desk staff very nice and accommodating and I thank you for being honest in your review of our rooms and amenities. We are constantly striving to improve our property and your comments will aid us in doing just that.

Nora Gomez
2035578125
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed in the Westport Inn for 3 nights. We chose the hotel for the proximity to an event we were attending. We were very disappointed with this hotel. The room was dated and had no sitting chair. The pillows on the bed were terrible but luckily we had our own. The bathroom had black spots on the ceiling. They only supplied 1 creamer for the in room coffee maker. I complained 2 consecutive mornings and the response was we'll take care of it. They never did. Perhaps worst of all we were there on a weekend. We returned to the hotel at 11:00 and I spent 15 minutes circling the lot trying to find a parking spot. After finally snagging a spot as someone pulled out, I asked in the office. The response I got was a rather snotty "we have a wedding!" which I interpreted as the wedding is what's important not a hotel guest. I will not return to this hotel even though I am a faithful Choice Hotel customer.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Nora G, General Manager at The Westport Inn, responded to this review, 1 week ago
We appreciate you sharing your recent experience at the Westport Inn. I am very disappointed to see that your stay was not up to expectations and deeply apologize. We are constantly improving our processes and protocols based on guest feedback and have addressed your concerns with Housekeeping and our Front Desk associates in terms of thoroughness and customer service. The fact that parking was not available for you as a guest is unacceptable, regardless of private events taking place at the Westport Inn. We are currently revising our event policies to ensure our guests are accommodated when parking -- we have even made an agreement with the Pediatrician's office next door so that we can have use of their parking lot during events so as to not take away from guest parking. We value all of our guests, especially loyal Choice customers. I do hope you'll stay with us again to see firsthand how your comments have made an impact on the Westport Inn.

Travelers are raving about these Westport hotels

Portland, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I'm in a room with a king bed and little else. One chair-- a wicker desk chair, and that is it. I'm alone, but wondering how two people would fit. Room was serviced at 3:30 pm--kind of late. It is late September-- certainly not frigid, but my home furnace kicked in two weeks ago given the cooler temperatures we've been experiencing lately. Heat has not been turned on here, so the room is at a cool 65 degrees. I'd definitely prefer it warmer. I'm here for a conference, but would not come here on my own after this experience.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for the "deluxe" building. The alternative is anything but deluxe.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
I'd like to thank you for sharing feedback on your stay at the Westport Inn. I do apologize that your experience was below expectations. Our original Inn has been accommodating Westport visitors since 1960, while a more modern addition provides Deluxe and Superior accommodations with additional space to stretch out and individual climate controls. Our Front Desk associates should have provided you the option to upgrade for a Deluxe or Superior room at check-in to see which option best fit your needs. Again, I am truly sorry that you're experience was sub-par and I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2014

Westport Inn used to be a standard roadside motel - with external stairs leading to rooms opening on balconies. There are still some rooms with that set-up, but the Inn has been transformed, especially by the construction of a deluxe second building with larger rooms that are extremely well laid-out, spacious, and comfortable. It is not expensive by urban standards, but is a very high-quality hostelry with wifi, an indoor swimming pool, exercise facilities, and all kinds of other goodies. A delightful stopover for a visit to Connecticut's upscale Fairfield County

Room Tip: Spend the extra money to stay in the deluxe building.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Nora_Westport, General Manager at The Westport Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2014
I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Westport Inn. Since 1960, our quaint Inn has been welcoming guests to coastal Connecticut and has evolved throughout the years to meet and exceed our guests' expectations. Thank you so much for sharing your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back again!

Warm Regards,
Nora Gomez, General Manager
Fiscardo, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a family wedding. The group rate made it an acceptable value. Had I been paying the rack rate I would have been quite upset. We were in the building right on the Old Post Road. It was noisy from the street and the people above us. The room was a decent size but the bathroom was TINY. The couch was frayed. The desk was literally tucked into the closet. The lighting made it very depressing and dark to have to work there as I did one afternoon. We went to the wedding on Saturday evening and came back and there was no parking. I talked to the front desk and they said it was a very busy night for them as they had a Bar Mitzvah. They assured me that the event would end in an hour or so and then I could park! Seriously they wanted me to wait an hour in my car and then park. I ended up taking the last handicapped space and calling it a night. Also they are understaffed in housekeeping. We left our room at 7:30am and came back at 2:00pm and our room was still not cleaned.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the new section, NOT in the rooms facing Old Post Road. Ask to be on second floor other...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback on the Westport Inn. I do apologize for any noise that disrupted your stay. I am dismayed at the lack of parking you encountered and have asked our staff to look into parking practices to ensure that our guests are not inconvenienced by events. We do take all comments to heart and use them when evaluating our procedures and associates. If your travels bring you back to Westport, I would invite you to join us again to see how you have made an impact on our team.
Warm Regards,
Nora Gomez, General Manager

Been to The Westport Inn? Share your experiences!