“Quaint old restaurant in a good location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 138 Restaurants in Westport
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Ridgefield, CT
“Quaint old restaurant in a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We had not been here in years but we had an event to attend in Westport and met another couple for dinner. The restaurant is right off the Merritt Parkway which made it very convenient for both couples. We arrived @ 5:15 in order to have a leisurely dinner. It was a cool, damp evening and we asked to be seated in a warm area so; we were right in front of the beautiful fireplace! The wait staff was efficient and attentive. We opted to order from the special menu...$49 for two which included a bottle of red or white wine, a choice of soup or salad, an entree (choices included a beef, chicken, fish and pasta option), dessert and coffee or tea. The meal was excellent! The price was terrific and the ambiance of the building was wonderful. Would definitely come here again if we are traveling into the area.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Weston, Massachusetts
“Solid but areas for improvement ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I attended a birthday gathering during their brunch- mimosas, bloody's, champagne included. Bloody came in a wine glass, possibly the smallest bloody ever! Buffer was fine, meats at the meat station were over cooked. Salads and deserts were good. Service was attentive until the end and I had to break the manager away from watching the football game to get our server. All in all a decent value for $24.95.

Redding, Connecticut
“You've got to be kidding!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I usually don't write reviews but I have to do this as the experience was so awful I don't want anyone to have a similar one. I had a birthday brunch celebration yesterday for my daughter which I had prearranged with the restaurant. Our group was placed in the very back with a table arrangement that was ineffective and insufficient for our group even after we tried rearranging; we were told this was the best that could be done.It was a long walk for everyone to the buffet table and we are an "older group". The bill was plopped down at the table next to mine not only surprising everyone but also implying that I expected them to pay for their brunch! To add insult to injury, those at this same table were told they had to get up and leave as the waiter had to set up for the second seating which, ironically, was almost an hour way; they were lied to by the waiter who told them the second seating was a half hour earlier than it was. Being asked to leave a restaurant is an insult but under these false premises its disgraceful. I still don't know what was motivating this action on the restaurant's part but can only surmise. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Woodbridge, Connecticut
“Food OK, Decor Tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Had not been back here for many years. Their website talks about a remodel in 1983--30 years ago! That said, the restaurant was in a good spot for dinner between an event in the afternoon and another in the evening. So we stopped in to eat. Our (two) entrees were fine; both were fish and were fresh. My dessert, Peach Melba, was made with canned peaches; fresh are still available so why canned?

The decor is dark; some window treatments needed repair and some of the windows sported broken seals in the glass that interfered with the view. It was crowded, however!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bergen County, NJ
“Gone Downhill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Was a favorite place for years,revisiting now it is looking old and tired. Lunch today at $30 left 2 out of 4 diners unsatisfied; my meat tasting waaaay past it's prime, and the worst gnocchi on the planet; heavy, doughy and tasteless. The bread pudding sucked. The menu was not very exciting. Service was prompt but not very friendly. Sorry, old pal. Time for an update.

Visited October 2013