“Don't let the Hibachi crowds fool you” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #66 of 136 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Outdoor seating
Description: Sakura Japanese Restaurant serves high quality, delicious Japanese fare in an exquisite environment. Give us a call and we'll create your ideal dining experience today. At Sakura, you can mold your dining experience to what you want it to be. We offer a variety of food options and rooms to offer you an unforgettable experience. Join us in our hibachi grill room for fresh steak, seafood, and chicken prepared right in front of you in a lively and fun environment. Try our sushi bar which offers an outstanding selection of fresh fish and rolls made to order. We also offer a full menu of traditional Japanese fare like sukiyaki, shabu-shabu and more. We have a number of Tatami private dining rooms for groups of two to groups of up to 14. We also offer a fun, refined bar dining area and a lovely outdoor patio for your enjoyment. Sit back, relax, and enjoy a great night with us. Give us a call to make your reservation today.
NY/Westport/Provence
“Don't let the Hibachi crowds fool you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

When we moved from NY in 95...I knew i had to find a 'decent Japanese'. Walking in here the first time was very dismaying because the 'Hibachi area' made for that 'Benihanya experience' for pseudo-japanese loved by kids and...others, hid the 'traditional area of the restaurant. It is like two different restaurants. The food is top quality 'real japanese' nd the staff and owner treat us like old friends as we have been going steadily since 95. I have NEVER had a bad meal here. They laugh when I order because I will get into a groove with one menu I devise and stick with it for a year until I decide to try a new combo. Right now..I can't get off the following 'order' that I don't even have to repeat to the wonderful servers. Edaname. Vegetable gyoza (delicious), the Soba noodles made with chicken and extra vegetables (and they use low-sodium soy for me) I think I did two years on the yosenabe before that. My partner is a fish lover and not quite as ritualistic as me so he has gone through the whole menu ...twice. A tip..if you don't want Saki or a cocktail...they have an unassuming French Rose that is reasonable and just perfect for the summer. The same glass of wine cost much more just down the street at the Spotted white horse...white pony with spots...whatever that 'noisy scene restaurant' is called :) Sakura always relaxes me and is like a good friend when you are up for a fun evening or you need a little TLC after a tough day.

Visited July 2013

New York City, New York
“Great food, fun for kids/birthdays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Onion volcanoes, shrimp flying off the table into your mouth...what more could you ask for?

I love the hibachi style, but be sure to make reservations as it can get quite busy. The food is pretty expensive, but remember that you're paying for the experience as well. You get a ton of food and you can substitute the regular rice for fried rice for a small fee.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Emily B, Manager at Sakura Japanese Restaurant, responded to this review, November 2, 2014
I'm so happy to hear you've had such fun experiences with us, Chris! It's also great to know that you understand how it can get busy in here, but it's even better to know you've still experienced great service. Whenever you have a hibachi craving, you're welcome back with us!

Thanks so much,
Emily B., Manager
“Best habachi around!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Hands down the best habachi in fairfield county, go for lunch, great habachi specials!! You get so much food for your money during lunch, it's a lot more expensive for dinner. At lunch too you get your own table, there is rarely more than 10 people there during the lunch hour.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Trumbull, Connecticut
“Where we eat when we want to go out...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Sakura provides a consistent experience which is hard to find. We usually order hibatchi in the dining room and food is awesome. We tend to pass on the hibatchi tables since they are usually crowded and there is a long wait. The dining room is not near the hibatchi dining room so the experience is quieter and more relaxing. The service is usually quick, even when busy. The average hibatchi dinner is about $28 but it is worth it. Well worth the trip.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very nice sushi restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We recently went for dinner here and had a really great time. They have hibachi - but we just sat in the regular part of the restaurant and had sushi and sake. The staff was very nice and the food was great. The server was really sweet and have us both some good sushi and sake recommendations. The place is pretty casual and very homey feeling. I definitely recommend it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere