“Good Joint, Good Food, Casual and Fun!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 136 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: American, Hamburgers, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Connecticut
“Good Joint, Good Food, Casual and Fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

This is a good joint, it serves good to very good pub food in a causal setting. The only caveat is that the food isn't excellent only very good at best.

We started with the cajun shrimp, good and fresh but overburdened by deep frying in a dark crust that overwhelmed the shrimp. The crab cakes were good but, again, overwhelmed by the the deep-fried crust. The King Lobster Roll was very good, plenty of meat and good fries but it wasn't great - the meat was a bit old, it didn't taste bad but it wasn't really fresh and it was bathed in butter. The rest of my party had a chili dog, another King Lobster roll and a wrap; the total without tip was 108 bucks.

The service was quick, friendly and professional. This is a pub restaurant, unpretentious bordering on a bit shabby but that means it is absolutely casual, you can get by with jeans and a t shirt. The patrons were, basically, everybody, families with children, families with teenagers, couples young and old, etc.

I have read the most recent reviews before I wrote this and I can understand and don't completely disagree with the excellent ratings. This is a comfortable place for a pub meal, just be aware that the fried food is deeply and well fried. That being said we will definitely be back and try some of the other menu items.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bethel, Connecticut
“fathers day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Not my first visit or my last Our daughters came home for the weekend of fathers day and on Sunday they took my wife and I to dinner before they hit the road our server was great we had the large order of steamers and lobster rolls all around the steamers here are the best also so much lobster on the roll you have to eat with a fork plus the lobster is prepared ct style it just melted in your mouth no need to dress fancy here even its your first visit you will feel like a regular here don't let the facade deter you this is a must eat spot

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Whole Belly Clam Platter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We have enjoyed many clam platters over the years in various locations. This is the first platter I could not finish although it was awfully good... We want to come back and try some of the lobster dishes too. They were overly generous with the clams and the price was very reasonable.

Our server was very attentive and pleasant. I would recommend this diner to friends.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bermuda
“Down and out in CT...??”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Go to the Black Duck - it will remind you of what is good about small old run down bars and diners... Really good simple food, a great vibe and live music - with inexpensive drinks... What more do you want...?? Oh and the floor does slope naturally....

Visited June 2014
White Plains, New York
“Nice view of the canal from the bar, everything else average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife and I rode out motorcycles up to this cafe with high hopes. It's a salty place with a long bar that faces a canal not quite under route 95. We ate at the bar. The bar tender was grumpy, seemed like working there was the last thing he wanted to do. We had the clams casino (very chewy) and the wings (skin was soft - not crunchy) and slathered with a lot of sauce. My burger was okay and my wife's fish and chips were fresh. I say an average meal, with a nice view serviced by a bartender with a chip on his shoulder.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere