“Watersedge - Westbrook CT” 4 of 5 stars

Water's Edge Resort & Spa
1525 Boston Post Rd., Westbrook, CT 06498   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Westbrook
Woodbury, Connecticut
“Watersedge - Westbrook CT”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Positives = great value 129.00 a night off season, decent older pool, nice gym, older steam room but did the job. Gym was great because of adjoining windows to watch my kids in pool while working out. The gym was also spacious for a hotel for this price. Great areas to walk around the grounds, nice views of the water, restaurant on site, spacious corner room that was clean. Nice staff.

Negatives = Elevator needs interior update, carpet should be replaced in some hall areas

Room Tip: try a corner room I hear they are slightly larger...we got one by chance! we had decent views of sun...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
chrisConnecticut, General Manager at Water's Edge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy so many of the resorts amenities. In the summer, we have activities for kids all day on our expansive lawn by the beach. You can relax on the beach while your children play everything from whiffle ball, to capture the flag.

Hope to see you in the summer!

368 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here just for one night while visiting family in the area. This place is obviously making its living as a convention/ event location. I wouldn't recommend this for vacationers at all. The staff(I happened to be dealing with Alexis) did not appear very competent in regards to handling clients in a professional manner. I got the impression that although there was a vacancy, she was trying to discourage me from taking the room. I have been in the service industry and am surprised that the staff aren't more trained to work in an allegedly high level establishment. I stayed in a standard room on a back wing of the hotel which was quite a walk from the front desk with luggage. Never an offer from staff to help so I grabbed the trolley and took my own bags. The room was clean and of the caliber of a Holliday inn express if you are familiar. Decent room with no frills. Thankfully in winter the price here was only 129/night. Would refuse to pay more and I'm sure these must be more in the summer.the room faced the parking lot. So a good place to stop off the highway for the night In the dead of winter, but stay away in summer unless a convention atmosphere is your ideaa of a summer vacation.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and percieved us to be a convention focused hotel. While we do entertain corporate groups in winter, the vast majority of our business is vacationing couples and families. The resort has three dining options (two with outside seating), a full-service spa, lounge with live entertainment, tennis courts, private beach, indoor and outdoor pools, activities for children, and a wide variety of room types.

I hope you would reconsider and come see us in the summer and enjoy all that Water's Edge has to offer.

Very Kind Regards,

Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We had our wedding ceremony and reception at Water's Edge in September 2012, and we just wanted to recap and update what's gone on. To summarize, we were really upset with how it was handled. From the lack of contingency planning that caused a delay in a previous wedding to disrupt our wedding, to our wedding coordinator being overwhelmed by the logistics and failing to execute agreed upon plans, to the impact to our family whom were forced to work our reception in the coordinator's absence, to friends who left our reception without ever being seated, to losing our wedding cake top. We were embarrassed for our guests that were inconvenienced and we were generally disheartened that so much went wrong.

We were eventually reimbursed for some lost meals during the reception, and after several attempts we finally did contact and meet with The General Manager, Chris Barstein in November, to try to come up with a mutually agreed upon resolution. We didn't work out all the details but (I thought) we had a framework and an agreement to move forward. It was the 1st time we walked away from Water's Edge feeling good about anything related to our wedding and I was genuinely happy.

Since that time, in an effort to nail down the details, my wife and I have e-mailed and/or called Mr. Barstein on 11/24/12, 11/25/12, 11/28/12, 12/05/12, 12/08/12, 12/13/12 (twice), 12/20/12, and 12/28/12, 1/11/13 all without reply. Is that not enough? Should we not have expected a reply in all that time? I also called the front desk and asked if they would leave a note for Mr. Barstein in the event that there was something wrong with voicemail. No response. Not one. Not in 2 months. We can't even get any information about a replacement for the cake top that they lost. We can't even get that. I am almost at a loss for words; disappointment just doesn't seem strong enough a word.

It is like a nightmare that just will not end. Each time we dare hope that things will get better and that we'll look back on this and laugh, they get worse, we lose hope, and look back on everything and sigh. And who wants that? Who wants to have negative feelings associated with the place they got married? Not us. I would trade anything that Water's Edge could give me, for a perfect wedding day in September for my wife. I wouldn't even have to think about it, I'd trade it in a heartbeat. Every bride deserves to be a princess for a day, and so did my wife. That is what would have made her happy. And because that's what I value most, that's what I'm trying to protect; her happiness. Water's Edge, on the other hand, seems to have done everything possible to take that from her... repeatedly. As a husband I'm not just disenchanted anymore, now I'm angry.

If Water's Edge had no real intention of seeking a resolution about our issues, we could have skipped the whole Kabuki Theater and not met up with the General Manager at all. We have just as much resolution now as we did before we met him; none. Not one wheel was set into motion; not even on something as simple as getting us our cake top. How they handled our Wedding Day was bad, but how they have handled things since is inexcusable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Haddam, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had booked a room as part of their "Night to remember" winter package for our 30th wedding anniversary. On check in we had received an upgrade (unsolicited) to a beautiful waterfront room with jacuzzi and large bay window overlooking the Sound. Our waitress at the restaurant was very knowledgeable of the menu and our bartender was sociable and efficient. The grounds were beautifully decorated for the holidays and the mild weather made for a perfect after dinner stroll. Thanks for a memorable anniversary. We may have to make this an annual event!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
chrisConnecticut, General Manager at Water's Edge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your anniversary. Thank you so much for sharing your experience and allowing us to be a part of your special day. I hope we can become your annual destination. Our "Night to Remember" package is a great value and very popular during our off-peak times. Please keep an eye on our website for our new packages for 2013. We have a "Romance by the Sea" package I'm sure you would enjoy.

All the Best,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I recently had the opportunity to stay at Water's Edge while preparing to attend a friend's wedding nearby. This place was perfect for my time in Connecticut and I could not have been more impressed by the friendliness and professionalism of the staff.

The setting is stunning and serene. My room looked out over the sound and I felt like I was in the South of France with the beautiful sunset and sound of the water lapping up to the shore.

I would recommend this wonderful establishment to anyone that wants to get away from the city, or to simply be spoiled by the top notch service and amenities offered to guests.

I will definitely return to Water's Edge on my own and look forward to being treated like a king again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. The seaside is certainly special this time of year. The resort is much more serene and we love to light up the fireplaces! I hope we can be your host the next time you are visiting Connecticut.

Very Kind Regards,

Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We just spent some R&R time at the Water's Edge and we had a wonderful stay thanks to the staff! At first I thought it was going to be a bust because the baby wasn't feeling well. We called the front desk and Alexis gave us a great tip on a local doctor. She was so on top of things, she even remembered that I had a massage scheduled early in the morning and suggested I reschedule it. I love her! AND the massage was amazing! I feel like a brand new person - ready for 2013!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I'm so sorry your baby wasn't feeling well, but happy that Alexis was able to help. Please do come and see us again soon!

All the best,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Beautiful property - right one the water. Landscaping and exterior maintenance wonderful. I stayed in a room in the main building and was disappointed. The room was small and felt more like a bed and breakfast room than a hotel room. The windows were tiny and in dormers, so I had to turn my head to see outside. The furniture was dated, but clean. It looked like there have been many additions to the property as there are many out buildings. Perhaps these buildings would offer more udpated rooms?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for bringing your concerns to our attention. Last winter, we completed the renovation of the main wing of the hotel and are working on the lodge side and the library building this year. I'm able to infer from your comments that you were on the lodge side of the hotel. We would love to have you with us again and I would be happy to take your reservation and review the different room options with you personally!

Please let me know if I can be of service.

Very Truly Yours,

Chris Barstein

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!