“A wonderful stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Westbrook
New York City, New York
“A wonderful stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I would like to say thanks to the Water's Edge Resort. My husband and I recently came across this wonderful place on the internet. I made reservations for a long weekend, a room with a water view--it was wonderful!! The front desk staff went out of their way to make sure we had everything we might need. The room was beautiful and the view was fantastic! We both had massages and I also had a facial, top rate spa! We ate in the fine dining restaurant each night we were there, because it was that good. I wanted to thank the staff for being so fantastic. I would especially like to thank Alexis and Stephen, they really went out of their way to make our trip special, and to thank the general manager, Chris Barstein. You have a fantastic place there and we will be back many more times!! Thanks again, the Millers

Room Tip: Be sure to ask the front desk staff about rooms, they are extremely helpful in finding that perfect...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
chrisConnecticut, General Manager at Water's Edge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Mr. & Mrs. Miller,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review. I am so please you enjoyed you stay and I hope we'll see you back again soon.

All the best,

Chris

352 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

First let me say I have stayed here about a dozen times over the past few years- both through hotel bookings and endless vacation rental bookings. I have never had a problem or complained about anything. Even though the rooms are tired, I overlooked that for the beauty of the view. I stayed in unit 164 starting 12/14. First four nights were fine- then on the fifth night we had drunk, out of control neighbors who started partying around 5 in the afternoon. By 9 PM I called the front desk to ask them to quiet down- the units are tiny and on top of eachother so we heard everything and could see people standing outside our door and running up and down the stairs. But since its off season I gave them the benefit of the doubt- perhaps they thought no one else was there, but there was someone there- myself, my 61 year old mother and a 18 month old baby who was trying to sleep. Long story short the front desk wouldnt do anything- specifically Alexis- I was shaking and almost crying on the phone telling her how unsafe I felt and how voliate the situation was. She had no sympathy- only an attitude and actually the first thing she told me was that I had overreacted and that maybe everyone was just tired and things would be fine (as the party continues and I'm lisenting to it and my baby is crying- mind you she NEVER came by to either room to asess the situation- only decided to tell the overcroweded party room they were fine- I actually heard them say this, Alexis said its fine when I finally got security myself to the room at 1AM). I told her I felt unsafe and even though I was 100% in the right offered to move (even though it was the night in Dec with a baby) because I felt so unsafe- she told me no joke- I could move to the 'unit furthest from yours right now, behind the hotel next to the parking lot'- mind you I was in an oceanfront room at this point. I said no way thats too far and not a comp. room- she said of course it is, all our rooms are the same- and obv. I said no, oceanfront and parking lot are not the same. And its too far. I said can you assure this wont happen again and again after she told me they would be there through the weekend - she said 'no one knows what tomorrow will bring'- and did not even try to offer me resassurance that things would be OK. I told her then I had to leave the next day because the only way in and out the front was by going through these people and the steps in front of their door. She said well you booked through RCI so we cant do anything for you if you leave (finanically). The best part was when she seriously told me (again as the party is raging)- "MAYBE IF YOU WOULD JUST GET OFF THE PHONE WITH ME THEN YOUR BABY WOULD SLEEP'. When I said 'are you serious'?- she said yes. Then she told me she was 'AT THE END OF HER ROPE AND WAS HANGING UP ON ME'. And thats what she did. I was terrified knowing no one at the resort would help me but by 1AM things were nuts so I called hoping someone else would pick up. Thank goodness they did- the real security guard immediately went to their door (as music played, people screamed and laughed inside the condo)- I could hear it all since our doors were so close and they promised to be quiet. Ten minutes later- same party- and I called again. This time he said 'how many times does security have to come, how many times have they been here before- to which they said ONCE- ALEXIS TOLD US WE ARE FINE. WE ARE JUST TALKING, NO PARTY HERE. I heard the guard say you are not talking I can hear the party all the way OUTSIDE and I will call the cops. A woman starts screaming at him saying that 'she' (meaning me) is out of control and they're fine. He in no uncertain terms said to cut it out. About a half hour after around 2 they were finally quiet. Knowing they were not sober and clearly not rational or high functioning people- I stayed awake through the night- terrified. At 6AM I snuck out the back staircase from the balcony with my belongings and sleeping baby to avoid any further altercation. I am not risking my daughter- and I didnt want her to be around this caliber of people- who knows what they would say or do if I went out the front. I called the front desk to tell them housekeeping would have to go in the back because the door was locked from the inside. I ALSO LEFT A VOICEMAIL FOR CHRIS THE GM HOPING HE WOULD CALL ME BACK AND DO THE RIGHT THING. THIS WAS WEDS AT 7am- ITS FRIDAY 4PM AND STILL NO CALL (I am clearly not a priority). I SPOKE TO RCI AND TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY THEY WONT REFUND ME BECAUSE THE FRONT DESK HAD MADE NOTES SAYING THIS SITUATION WAS RESOLVED THAT NIGHT. WELL CHRIS- ALEXIS IS A LIAR- AND SHE CLEARLY MADE THOSE NOTES. ASK THE SECURITY GUARD ON DUTY AT 1AM WEDS NIGHT WHAT HE HEARD AND SAW. WHY WOULD I LEAVE OUT THE BACK AND LEAVE THE GM A VOICEMAIL IF IT WAS RESOLVED, OR HAVE TO CALL SECURITY AT 1AM. SHAME ON ALEXIS, SHAME ON CHRIS, AND SHAME ON THE WATERS EDGE. YOU MAY HAVE A BEAUTIFUL VIEW BUT IT DOESNT MAKE UP FOR THE UGLY INSIDE THE RESORT, INCLUDING THE STAFFS TREATMENT OF GOOD CUSTOMERS. DO NOT CHOSE THIS RESORT IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A RELAXING, QUIET VACATION WITH YOUR FAMILY OR SPOUSE/SIGNFICIANT OTHER. THIS PLACE BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE HAS CHOSEN TO CATER TO THE PARTYING CROWD. I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN- AND JUST CANCELLED A TRIP I HAD ACTUALLY BOOKED FOR MARCH. I WILL DO MY BEST TO ASSURE THIS NEVER HAPPENS TO ANYONE AGAIN AND WITH PEOPLE LIKE ALEXIS ON STAFF, MANAGED BY PEOPLE LIKE CHRIS WHO CANT TAKE THE TIME, YOU JUST SHOULDNT RISK IT FOR A SUBPAR HOTEL WITH A NICE VIEW. One last note I NEVER raised my voice or used any ugly (cursing) langauage with Alexis or any of the staff at any point despite my anxiety and terror.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I recently stayed at the resort for two nights as part of a large conference. The staff were friendly, conference facility nice and food excellent for "confernence food" but i felt my room was lacking. It was decorated in a very dated New England way that doesn't keep up with other more modern resorts I have stayed in. The hotel should take notes from the Samoset Resort in Camden, Maine who manage to keep a clean New England feel without being dated. I also found my room to be noisy and with a low vibration - which ultimately was the heating system. One thing I like about a hotel room is quiet and this one missed the boat on that because of the heater and/or blowers. The grounds and views were lovely especially decorated for Christmas. I was diappointed as a business traveler that the gym was not open until 6:30 in the morning - too late and being dark outside in winter mornings outside activity is not a viable alternative. I also think they should have a small fridge in the room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Mystic, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This was our second year using Water's Edge for our conference. We took over most of the hotel's meeting rooms, as well as both the ballrooms. The planning staff worked with us to create the best environment for both our participants and our vendors. It was a fantastic day start to finish!! The staff was very attentive. Every room can be set with high quality AV and staff stayed around to make sure everything was working throughout the day. Anything we needed they had almost immediately. In regards to food, we had a standard continental Breakfast and a plated lunch. The food was wonderful. We were very please with the speed of serving so many. We even had part of our program while eating and you never would have known the service staff was moving about they were so quiet. It is very difficult to overshadow the view and surroundings at the Water's Edge, but the staff went beyond our expectations and created an environment inside as beautiful and relaxing as outside.

Our event hosted a dinner for a few of the speakers and the planning team Friday evening and the food was outstanding, the chef came out and introduced himself to us and explained some of his new menu items. We ordered off the menu and no one was disappointed with their selections, It was a very personal and very much appreciated. We were very pleased with everything.

A few of us also stayed for Brunch on Sunday and we noticed considerable differences from the previous year. It was excellent and well worth the price!

Overall, I highly recommend the Water's Edge for your next conference, they really have it all!

Room Tip: ROOM 316 has a beautiful view not only do you have a balcony but lots of windows as well. Really an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
chrisConnecticut, General Manager at Water's Edge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post this wonderful review. As you know, we have a new chef, banquet chef and banquet manager. They were so incredibly proud to see this this on TripAdvisor. It makes all of their hard work worthwhile.

I hope we have the opportunity to host you again next year!

All the best,

Tewksbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is a great resort for large groups. The service was really great - any time we had a request, it was met quickly and with a smile. Our room was above the bar - quite noisy - so we requested a change. Within minutes, a new key to another room was brought to us along with the offer to assist in our move.
The food was very good and generous portions on our plated dinner and subsequent two buffets.
I received rave reviews from our attendees. Only wished we could have stayed longer to use the spa and other amenities. Lovely grounds for walking and super for wedding photos which we witnessed while we were there. Would return for another event or just an enjoyable get away.
All staff from management to wait staff could not have been nicer nor more helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony overlooking the water were lovely.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
chrisConnecticut, Manager at Water's Edge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I will be certain to share them with everyone on our team. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to return for a pleasure trip and enjoy all of the amenities the resort has to offer.

Very Warm Regards,

Glastonbury, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Recently my Company had a Corporate Dinner, Breakfast, all-day Meetings and a Luncheon at this facility.

While there were many other events taking place throughout the Resort, we were never overlooked and the entire staff was extremely professional and attentive to our needs.

Many of our Guests also stayed the night at the Hotel and found it to be a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
chrisConnecticut, General Manager at Water's Edge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for a wonderful review. It's comments like these that make everyone's hard work worthwhile. We certainly appreciate it and appreciate your patronage.

I hope to see you again soon,

Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night recently and although our room was pretty nice the bathroom was dirty. Also paint was pealing and the hallway smelled strange. The staff was ok but lots of people hanging around doing nothing, yet it appeared as though there was so much to be done. I blame that on mis-management.

Still, we may return ...

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am troubled by your comment regarding your room not being cleaned to your standards. Our housekeepers work very hard to have our rooms spotless for our guests and each room is also inspected before it is released for occupancy. I hope you can contact me directly and give me the details so that I can address the issues with my team. I can be reached at cbarstein@watersedgeresortandspa.com or 860-399-5901, ext. 2031.

Very Kind Regards,

Chris

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!