“Great location but dirty rooms and poorly managed” 3 of 5 stars

Water's Edge Resort & Spa
1525 Boston Post Rd., Westbrook, CT 06498   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Westbrook
Connecticut
“Great location but dirty rooms and poorly managed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night recently and although our room was pretty nice the bathroom was dirty. Also paint was pealing and the hallway smelled strange. The staff was ok but lots of people hanging around doing nothing, yet it appeared as though there was so much to be done. I blame that on mis-management.

Still, we may return ...

• Stayed November 2012
chrisConnecticut, General Manager at Water's Edge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am troubled by your comment regarding your room not being cleaned to your standards. Our housekeepers work very hard to have our rooms spotless for our guests and each room is also inspected before it is released for occupancy. I hope you can contact me directly and give me the details so that I can address the issues with my team. I can be reached at cbarstein@watersedgeresortandspa.com or 860-399-5901, ext. 2031.

Chris

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We went to a wedding here in October and stayed over night. I will rate both the reception and room separately:
Room:
1) the bed was so comfortable I would have slept there all day. the bathroom was fine,though the shower was hard to figure out at first. The room was very quiet
2) The location is perfect, right on a small beach and right off the main highway.
3) we had a brunch the next day which was a scaled down version of the main brunch. It was just OK. The waffles were cold and the selection was limited (though this is probably due to the bride and groom limiting the food). We had waffles, scambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and some cereal. No fruit, no bagels, no pancakes. Not that great.

Reception:
1) the wedding ceremony was held overlooking the ocean. it was almost perfect, though they did not have enough chairs for everyone. I would think a wedding coordinator would make sure that all the guests could sit.
2) the cocktail hour was good, better then the reception food. It consisted of cold appetizers (vegetables and dip, fruit, cheese and crackers, etc) and passed around hot appetizers. The food was very good, though they did not give us any utensils. How could you eat vegetables and dip with your fingers and also some hot foods? I finally asked for some and after 20 minutes they arrived.
3) Reception room was very nice, overlooking the ocean. The salad was OK, the pasta appetizer (ravioli with pesto) was fantastic. From there the food went downhill. The chicken was not edible. So dry!! and the broccoli rab was gross. They mixed up the food requests ( ie: someone asked for steak, but got fish since the back of the name card said F for filet, while the staff thought it meant F for fish. The staff got confused and kind of argued with the guests that they ordered the wrong thing. That was not good, the staff should have just provided the guests with the food they ordered. Out of 8 people at our table 5 people got their orders mixed up.
4) the wedding cake was not good at all. Still a little frozen in the middle.
5) the dessert bar was good with lots of different cheese cakes, candy, pasteries, ice cream.

Overall it was a good wedding, with a few hiccups. the room though was the best part!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our resort. It is so very helpful when we receive such detailed feedback in such a constructive manner. A review like yours really helps us to improve our product and service!

We hope to see you again soon,

Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a perfectly average resort hotel . We only stayed for 1 night .The room we were offered was small and in need of refurbishment . We complained and ended up in a room which was acceptable but was again looking tired . The simple fact is the prices are way to high . We checked out and went down the road to the Hampton suites , smart move .
This hotel also had the only miserable hotel receptionist we encountered on our tour . face like a prune !! The guy that checked us out was fine . So maybe some training for under performers might help .

Room Tip: make sure you get a sea view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I apologize that the room you first received did not meet your expectations. We remodeled the west wing of the hotel last winter and will be renovating rooms in the lodge and library this winter. We've also built 20 brand new beach-front units that are now available.

Boston, ma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I would never recommend this place to anyone planning a wedding. Management is NOT trust worthy. You are just a dollar sign to these people. Save yourself the aggravation and look elsewhere. I did not go through with having our wedding at this location but lost money because of it. No one told us the outside waterview was ripped up with construction until we showed up at the location for a meeting with Nancy our coordinator. Thanks for looking out for us Nancy! Ya right. It was worth it to lose the money though, to not have our wedding here. Go to the Ocean House in RI! They treat you right at Ocean House and it's heads and tails above this factory.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am sorry you chose not to have your event at our venue, but am confused at the timing of your review. The construction of our Villas by the Sea project was completed almost 7 months ago. The new lawn, brand new outdoor pool with expaned deck, new beach bathrooms, dining area and snack bar are beautiful and have been in use since Memorial Day.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

A couple years ago good friends of ours from Spain's Canary Islands were married close to where they grew up. The venue was spectacular. It was a resort hotel on the water in the glorious sun of southern Spain. When it came time for us to pick a venue for our wedding we knew we wanted the same feel as this Spanish resort. We looked at a few places in CT but we kept coming back to Water's Edge Resort and Spa. It’s a little pricier than other wedding venues but you do get what you pay for and what you get is great services, a relaxed resort atmosphere and a great view of the Sound. To us it was perfect, though we had a lot of help from Mother Nature. Our day was a warm, dry and sunny summer day. Perfect and just what we had hoped for. Our wedding coordinator at Waters Edge was really helpful in guiding us through the maze that is wedding planning as far as the resort goes. We had a lot of questions and requests and she worked with us and was patient in explaining the ins and outs of their offerings. The wedding package we chose also included extras like a room for the wedding night and a couples massage the next day. Very nice touches given that the rooms are on the pricey side. We booked the Royal ballroom and we were glad we did. It was versatile in layout and the direct outside access to the porch was a nice touch. The wedding staff really took care of our guests and especially the two of us. They made sure we had what we needed and were happy. The food was excellent and all of our guests told us the same. They had a really good assortment of dining options from buffet to sit-down, a variety of cuisine and extras that you could include. We would have liked few couple minor inclusions for the package but all in all it worked out well.
We really liked the resort because it allowed family and friends to stay on site with us on the wedding night and the weekend. This was one of the main reasons we selected this venue. This is what we experienced in Spain at our friend's wedding and this resort gave us a similar experience. We were very glad that we chose Water's Edge as the venue for our wedding and would do it again. We would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy that everything went so well and we were able to meet or exceed your expectations.

I hope you will be able to visit us again soon.

Enfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We had our wedding at Water's Edge on September 21, 2012. We chose Water's Edge initially because of everything that was included in the wedding package. It was awesome to have the ceremony and reception at the same location and we had such beautiful scenery for both. Our wedding coordinator, Michelle, was amazing! She helped keep us on track with our planning and helped us pull everything together the day of the wedding, from coordinating with our vendors to making sure the decorations looked perfect, I can't imagine going through the planning process without her. We received so many compliments on the food after the wedding too. People kept asking where we got our cake from and when I told them it was included in the wedding package they were amazed that a cake that came with the wedding package tasted so good, and they decorated it specially for us! The grounds at the resort were beautiful for our pictures and we barely had to decorate for the ceremony because the gardens were so pretty! The guest rooms at the resort were a little pricey (complimentary for the bride and groom on the wedding night) but they are so beautiful that it was worth it to have our family and friends staying there. They do sometimes have more than one wedding in a day, but they have a great staff and plan it so well that it doesn't take away from each couples wedding atmosphere. They seemed a little more expensive than other venues that we looked at up front but when we took into account everything that was included it actually turned out to be pretty comparable to the other venues. But the service is definitely second to none. I really can't say enough good things about Water's Edge, they were so friendly and accommodating to us and our families and I would recommend them to any bride that is looking for an amazing venue that offers a great wedding package. I'm sad that our wedding is over, but I'm so happy that we chose such a great place to celebrate it, we will definitely be going back to Water's Edge to celebrate our anniversary!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are so pleased we were able to make your special day a memorable one. I've shared your review with Michelle who is so proud of her work. All of our wedding specialists: Michelle, Maggie and Nancy, love what they do and work very hard to make each brides day perfect.

Thanks again and congratulations!

Quincy, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

On August 18, 2012, my husband and I had an absolutely stunning destination wedding here at the Water's Edge! The views overlooking the water are spectacular and when I first saw this venue, I knew right away this was where I wanted to have my wedding ceremony and reception. Our wedding coordinator was Michelle T. Johnson and she is super fantastic. Michelle is very patient and will answer all of your questions through out the planning process. On the day of our wedding, we had a morning of rain which I believe and is believed to symbolize good luck, and then the skies cleared, the sun came out, and we ended up having such awesome weather for our outside ceremony! Our wedding ceremony was on the lower lawn overlooking the gorgeous ocean, cocktail hour was on the lower deck with the Water’s Edge live band playing in the background and we were surrounded by an array of beautifully bloomed flowers by day and stars above by night. Our reception was held in the Grand Ballroom for a buffet style dinner and late night dancing. I could not have been more pleased with the service, food, atmosphere, and overall quality of the Water’s Edge. Our bridal party server, Joe, was phenomenal. I can’t rave enough about him as Joe was completely attentive to us and ensured we had drinks, food during pictures and cocktail hour, and most importantly that the bride was the first to make her dinner plate! When I say everything, I mean everything was well organized and nothing missed a beat which made our special evening flawless! My husband and I are still receiving compliments from our guests who say it was the most amazing wedding. All of our guests till this day rave about the food, our cake, and how spectacular our wedding day was and how they wish they could experience it all over again and so do I! The Water’s Edge is the definition of elegance and romance, and they truly made our wedding unforgettable! I highly recommend the Water’s Edge Resort & Spa!

Room Tip: It is worth upgrading to a suite for you and the bridesmaids to get ready in!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our facility. I want to especially that you for letting us know what a wonderful job Joe did in serving you. I love sharing these comments with our team members, it makes them feel very special and I feel very proud.

Chris Barstein

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!