“Fine Experience Seaside in CT” 3 of 5 stars

Water's Edge Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1525 Boston Post Rd., Westbrook, CT 06498   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
New York
“Fine Experience Seaside in CT”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I spent an average 2 night stay at Water's Edge in July 2012.

The resort is located directly by the ocean, which is nice. My room had an ocean view, but with a fair amount of buildings in the foreground before you could see the ocean. The rooms are comfortable, but decorated in a very traditional "hotel" style like most Hiltons or Marriott chains. The air conditioning was good. The wireless internet was not strong in my room, and my computer kept losing the signal.

There was no real soap dish in the bathroom, so I repurposed the container that all the toiletries came in. Also there was a fair amount of noise that leaked into the room from the outer hall whenever people walked by.

The food served at the resort was fine. Nothing spectacular, but not terrible either.

The beach is small in size, but well kept and the water was good for easy ocean swimming. It was strangely complicated to get from the resort/hotel area to the beach, and required climbing quite a lot of stairs/walking through the main lobby/restaurant.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Redding, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

This is a lovely setting on the Long Island Sound. All of the restaurants have gorgeous views. The spa services were a treat in a relaxing setting. We had a balcony room with water views in the main hotel. Our only "complaint " is that a new condominium building was constructed that obscures much of the expanse of water that most likely previously existed here. The beach was small and crowded, but that is generally the nature of anywhere on the CT coastline. We enjoyed outlet shopping in both Westbrook and in nearby Clinton. The food was best in the main dining room. It was really perfect for a quick two-night getaway as a couple. Families with children have lots to do here, so longer stays are probably great for them. We will likely pay the resort another visit in the future.

• Stayed July 2012
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My first stay here was December 2011 when a girlfriend and I stayed overnight with a package deal to celebrate our 60th birthdays. Our room was adequate and we had a water view. We both had a spa treatment that was very pleasant. Our dinner was very good and the breakfast was outstanding. The package deal was a good value and it was a pleasant experience.

My husband and I went back today to have lunch at the Sunset Grille and it was very good. The lobster roll for $17.00 was the best I ever had, and the amount of lobster was quite surprising. The view overlooking the water was so relaxing and tranquil. The service we had was very good.

Would definitely do it again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

From the snotty front desk staff, to the micro strip "beach" to the mediocre dinner buffet - what a disappointment. Lots of faux luxury but not much true elegance. Only food option in the morning was another overpriced buffet. Pretty setting on the sound and room was comfortable (but hardly worth the price), but I won't return.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had a horrible experience at this resort back in December. It took me some time to contact the manager and he said he would compliment me and my sister another night. We stayed there last week and it was FABULOUS! The beach and pool are relaxing and easily accessible from anywhere on the grounds. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Thank you for making a bad experience into a great experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hackensack
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I have been to Water's Edge twice. First time back in October 2011 for a week on a timeshare deal. The accomodations were okay but worn and old. It was a 1 bedroom sweet. My dining experinces, spa experiences, and general all around amenities including Valet service were the worst I have ever experienced in what I was expecting to be a relaxing, upscale spa vacation. Upon my return home, I wrote to the General Manager with a short note just saying how dissapointed I was, and to my surprise he was attentive and concerned and wanted to know the details of my experience which I then proceeded to provide him with. He was gracious enough to give me the opportunity to come to the spa again at a convenient time once again, and provided me with an overnight stay for 2 with dinner and a massage included. I thought that was very nice and told him I would take him up on it when I got the chance. I just returned last night from my overnight stay 9 months after my initial visit. I have to say that there were some improvements in the service, although blunders were made and they really need some training on office staff. The regulars at the front desk seemed sweet enough but a woman came out of the back room and helped me at check in but it was far from welcoming...and I'll leave it at that. My spa experience was wonderful this time. I frequently have massages and my last experience was the equivelant of having oil rubbed on me. I was told at the time if I wanted more pressure, it would be a "deep tissue" massage, not a a Swedish. This time the woman was courteous, asked me my preferences of pressure and gave me a wonderful massage. I was relaxed and less achey at the end. Dinner, although better than my last expereince was nothing to write home about. The filet mignon was very good, but ravioli app and braised beef ribs with risotto were a disappointment. No flavor...The wine selection by the glass was horrible and the glass I did get, I could tell had been open for awhile (it was starting to turn) but was not going complain at that point as I knew I would not ever be returning. Even on a "gratis" overnight, it infuriated me that had I paid, it wold have been over a $700.00 expense, and for that kind of "overnight" money, I want at least 4 star service! The place just needs a complete overhall. I'm guessing it's businesses and weddings that keep them in business at all...I will give them points for trying to make good on the horrific first experience I had, but unfortunately did not change enough for me to change my opinion.Too bad...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Leonardo, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I have to say that I stayed in one of the timeshare units, not the hotel. Usually when I trade in I get one of the less desirable units, but here I got the best unit in the place (in my opinion). It was a second floor end unit with water views from every window - beautiful. The unit was large with a sleeping loft for the kids. There are 3 restaurants on the property, a tiny beach and a busy outdoor pool. There is a really nice fitness center with an indoor pool, which was cooler than the outdoor one. It's conveniently located to attractions and 2 great outlet malls. Housekeeping came once which was fine with me, except they didn't really do very much. They did the beds and the bathroom but didn't leave any soap or do the dishes or straighten up like every other place I've ever stayed does. I also really missed having an oven to be able to fully utilize the kitchenette. And there was no TV upstairs in the sleep loft so the kids ended up sleeping on the pullout couch instead. The room could use some updating but it was clean and comfortable. My biggest complaint would be that I had to pay $25 for internet to have it in my room. Really? I can get it free in any cheap chain hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!