“No complaints...But!!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
Meriden, Connecticut
“No complaints...But!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Our son came from CA for Memorial weekend..so we reserved 2 rooms at the Hotel..
It was perfect. The Staff could not have been more accomodating or friendly. The rooms spacious and clean. We had a friends & family visit with us on Sat. & Sun. Evenings..The patio was perfect for entertaining.

The Band in the Bar on Friday night and on the Patio on Sat. were both excellent. We all enjoyed the food and breakfast.

However, I truly understand the reasons the Brides were upset regarding the Condo building. I do not know the reasoning behind this move...To me it makes no sense at all.
We have seen many Weddings take place there..and it was beautiful However, the background of a building is not appealing in any stretch of imagination. People were just shaking their heads. It is not completed as yet..but I cannot imagine anything that can replace the Ocean as a background. Plus it appears to me..that the beach will be shortened. The space on the beach seemed to be a problem in the past..without the "obstacle"! Also, there is a large vestibule in the main building...With large picture windows. We would often just look out and see a beautiul ocean & sky.....Now...we see ..you guessed it ...a building!!!

I just hope they know what they are doing...or did...Because it is a mystery...not only to me..but everyone I have talked to. It is sad!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
chrisbarstein, General Manager at Water's Edge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Thank you for sharing your positive comments regarding our staff and your stay. These are very much appreciated by everyone here at the resort. Also, I can understand your reticence to embrace the new construction and the visual changes subsequent to its addition. Change is always difficult and not always welcome. Water's Edge and been growing and evolving for over 50 years. The positives we can all appreciate are the new bathrooms, changing rooms, dining area, food and beverage service and new pool that are a part of this new project.

Thank you for your feedback.

Chris Barstein, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Thompson, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I stayed at Water's Edge the last week in May with extended family in two units. Each were comfortable but outdated. Safety issues included poorly rated electrical outlets that blew out two toasters, and a stove burner that sparked. An eight-inch gap on our second floor balcony railing was thankfully pointed out by a family member - otherwise, our active two-year old could easily have fallen to his death. A very sloppy and easily rectified repair.

The most unpleasant experience we had at Water's Edge involved a commercial steam cleaning truck with a deafening air compressor which was parked in the common area both our units were located in. The management had scheduled an 11:00 p.m. rug cleaning for the resort's restaurant, which had an average of 4 people in it every time we walked to the main building. I was woken from a sound sleep by the truck, which sounded as though a jackhammer was being used - and worse, echoing throughout the courtyard; several other family members, including children, were awoken as well. I approached the night manager regarding this annoyance. Not only was there no apology offered, he was beyond rude and argued with me about the scheduling, and actually said, "What are we supposed to do? Close the restaurant down to clean the rugs?" Clearly, the handful of restaurant patrons were much more highly valued than the guests who had paid to stay a week at the resort.

One of our units faced a construction site on the property with trucks going in and out starting at 7 a.m. - also not conducive to a restful stay.

All that being said, the location is lovely and there is lots to do in the area. However, due to the rude manner of the managers and many of the staff we encountered during our stay, as well as the absolutely thoughtless scheduling of deafening air compressor steam cleaning, we won't be back - nor will we recommend this property to others.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
chrisbarstein, General Manager at Water's Edge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Allow me to begin by offering a sincere apology for the difficulties and service lapses you encountered during your stay. As you are aware, the timeshare villas are owned by individuals and we are updating based on a schedule approved by the association. Many units have recently had new bathrooms installed and more renovations are on the way. The hotel itself has just has a major refresh with new carpeting, renovated hallways, 32” LCD TVs, iHome Clock Radios and more. Having said that, all safety issues should be corrected as soon as they are discovered. As for the steam cleaning truck, I have no excuse as to what went wrong with this process. We have the hood system cleaned once per month and have never had an issue in the past. This does not excuse the behavior of the front desk clerk. He should have apologized and halted the cleaning immediately. There is no reason for this type of maintenance to inconvenience any guest, overnight or restaurant. I am hoping you will contact me directly so we may discuss this over the phone.

Very Kind Regards,

Chris Barstein, GM
860-399-5901 ext. 2031
connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

My husband and I live locally and like to go out to dinner. We decided to head to Water's Edge for a change of pace. The location is beautiful, but the service, and food is lacking at best. We were seated outside and then waited 20 minutes before we decided to go in and order our drinks at the bar. Where there were 6 waitresses standing around chatting. We had dinner in the bar where it is so dark it is hard to read the menu. When the food finally arrived it was fine. I would recommend you keep driving and head to Cafe Routier for an amazing dinning experience.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments. A lapse in service such as you described is unacceptable. I presume that the manager failed to rectify the situation when you brought this to his attention or you would have left the restaurant satisfied. I'm happy to report that on June 1 we welcomed Brian Langley as our new restaurant manager. Brian has been a hospitality professional on the shoreline for over 30 years. He brings passion, knowledge and a relentless pursuit of excellence, which I am certain will have a positive impact on our service. Typically, our diners are very pleased with both our food and service. Water's Edge has been honored with "Best Hotel Dining" - County, "Best Brunch" - Statewide, "Excellent" from the times and many others. I sincerely hope you will allow us another opportunity to meet your expectations.

Very Truly Yours,

Chris Barstein, GM
Windsor, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

spa services were exellent everyone was very friendly no problem with the room, dinner was very pretty and tasted DELICIOUS my only complaint was room service instead of going to brunch we decided to have breakfast in bed it was HORRIBLE like the chef who made dinner def didnt make breakfast. i wouldnt get room service but i would stay their again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

This is a very nice hotel. The rooms are spotless and very comfortable. The resort is a wedding hosting machine and that can be a little bothersome with lots of party goes through out the hotel. I did not see anyone who was a problem or anything. just noting that there were a LOT of people around in a very jovial mood. That is to say it is not necessarily a quite place but not in a bad way.
The hotel grounds are very beautiful and well laid out, except that they are building a new building pretty much right on the beach. It is under construction so I have no idea how it will look when it is done, but it appears as though you will be looking at the new buildings roof instead of the beach, Odd,,,
The restaurant is fair, and a 4 out of five. The food is fresh and excellent quality, but nothing special is done with it. I have the crab cakes and they had lots of nice crab meat, far more than filler, but the tasted very bland. I am not sure how with as much crab meat as there was you got very little flavor of anything including crab. They came with some kind of eggplant salad that was nasty. I think the salad is a result of trying too hard to do something different, but in this case it failed. A special of the day was a stuffed lobster. It was fair at best. The stuffing was "wet", I am not sure how but it was like it had been soaked in water. The lobster itself was well cooked, large and very good. The meal would have been much better as just a lobster without the nasty stuffing. One minor detail that I also found annoying is that they do not serve fresh brewed iced tea. They serve the soda fountain kind and it taste like it is made with bath water. If you are going to sell yourself as a fine dining establishment you just can't take shortcuts like this, it is too easy to brew tea.
I would stay here again if business brought me here for another conference but I don't think I would come on my own dime.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

I dont understand these negative comments, never had a bad experience, Went to Easter Sunday Brunch w/ husband, so much food to choose from, excellent, not our first time there, would just reccomend a nicer bathroom for the ladies, but would definely go again!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

Its makes me sad to hear all the negative comments about this resort..I had my wedding there back in June 2010 and staff and service exceeded my expectations! Fine, the lodging cost were a bit high and in terms of what you were actually getting but the staff were so helpful and they accomodated my every need. Cindy my wedding Coordinator knew we were on a strict budget and she made helpful suggestions in keeping cost down which is usually not the case since they usually work on a commision. Some of the best views around and a beautiful piece of property!!

• Stayed June 2010

Been to Water's Edge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!