“Good food, homey atmosphere, good people, good price.” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 33 Restaurants in Westbrook
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Branford, Connecticut
“Good food, homey atmosphere, good people, good price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I have driven by this restaurant any number of times over 25 years, a mere 21 miles from my home in Branford. Tonight is the first time, it being Mardi Gras Weekend, that I stopped in. This is a family owned restaurant and it shows. From the moment I walked in it felt homey. The food I had stood out and so did Rich, the bar tender who was a first-rate wait person. The drink he recommended, at my request, was vodka and fresh grapefruit juice. It was good, and I rarely have any liquor. The New Orleans Cod special suited me well, too, as a person who rarely eats meats. The placement on mashed potatoes kept the fish hot for longer than usual! The little bit of corn mixed in the dish was superlative, too. I will be back. It is rare to find a restaurant that is so comfortable for a single person, as I was tonight, that is warm and friendly, well done. It is appreciated! I really set out for a chocolate dessert. They had that, too. I recommend this restaurant. The prices were fair, as well. I guess “Creative Cooking” is actually the name of the restaurant, judging from the website, but it takes a subtitle position on the street sign. The house salad dressing was tastefully unusual, a light tomato based one.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

East Hampton, Connecticut
“Quaint Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We went to Creative Cooking for lunch on a Sunday. It was not busy so we had time to enjoy speaking with our waitress. The restaurant had a good selection of draft and bottled beer, and we were able to taste samples of beers and wines to help us decide what to order. The food portions were generous and the sandwiches were very tasty but could have used more spices. We enjoyed our lunch at Creative Cooking and look forward to returning for dinner.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bethany, Connecticut
“French quarters in Westbrook”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The atmosphere reminded me of New Orleans French Quarters. The chicken gumbo soup was fabulous. The shrimp jambalaya was good needed to be a little bit spicier would return

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
East Lyme, CT
“Excellent Omelets”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Met friends there on Sunday for the buffet. It started with a mimosa which everyone had but me. The buffet is relatively small, but everything was good. You went into the kitchen to order the omelets. I had crawfish and cheese and my wife had spinach, cheese and onions. It was by far the best omelet I have ever had. It was very light and very tasty. The gumbo soup was very good as was the french toast. All you can eat for only $14.95

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tolland, Connecticut
“Nice change in a sea of fish restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I have been to many New Orleans, cajuan, and creole restuarants. I have also been to New Orleans. Creative cooking give the food justice while making it its own. I like large menu and twists on New Orleans cooking. I did not find the food as spicy as some cajan food, but still good. They start every meal with a horseradish cheddar spread. Very good, but unfortunetly served with saltines. Wait until the bread comes out to have the cheese. The tomato vinegrette dressing is very good and unique. I had the gumbo and chicken etoffue. Very good, not too spicy and had hints of sweetness. There was some sort of extra spice i could not figure out. Tasted great. Do not skip dessert. The chocolate velvet is amazing. It is really a flourless tort with some hints of chocolate mousse. I will definetly go back. I only wish they had another option for hot sauce. Tabasco sauce does not cut it at a cajun restuarant. And upgrade the crackers for the cheese spread.

Visited August 2013