“Not Bad At All” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 144 Restaurants in West Haven
Hartford CT
“Not Bad At All”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I really wonder about some of these negative reviews. Chick's is no fancy restaurant and doesn't pretend to be. It caters to beachgoers and those who want to walk up to a counter and order a dog or a burger, or some seafood.

So we stopped in there yesterday for some lunch. We got a hot dog (12"), a lobster roll (12") and fried zucchini. The dog was good (according to my wife) and the lobster roll was delicious (and the price was what I paid for just a 6" lobster roll in the spring) and the fried zucchini was really good.

From the time we ordered, it took around 5 minutes to get our order. The food was hot.

So, it was good. We'll go back again.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

CT
“Expensive -- and running on a bit on nostalgia”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

We spend a lot of time in the area, but are not big fried food eaters, so hadn't been to Chick's before. Heading home on a gorgeous sunny afternoon we decided to stop for a little slice of Americana. I'm glad we tried it -- but it is not a place I would make a point to return to. There was a New Orleans style jazz band playing at the front of the parking lot which added some nice entertainment. The place was not crowded (500pm on a Sunday) so we took a table in front overlooking the ocean. The front is all large glass garage-style doors which they open up in the summer. There was not a line so ordering was easy and the food came out fast. My husband and daughter shared the Fisherman's Platter -- clams, scallops, shrimp and fish with fries and coleslaw. At $23.99 it was pricey for what you got. My meal was more reasonable -- pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw for $5.50. The sandwich was OK, but not my favorite slaw. Sweet potato fries were OK. The best part was my daughter's chocolate milk shake -- thick and tasty. I can imagine it is much more of a fried food factory in the summer -- non-descript cement tables and benches outside and red booths inside. Certainly an interesting place to people - watch. I'd eat here again -- just wouldn't go out of my way for it.

West Haven, Connecticut
“Expensive with Mediocre Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Obviously, the owners of this restaurant think the view and proximity to the beach matter more than anything else. The food is not very good and the prices are high. The restaurant is not very clean.

• Visited July 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“The view of the sound is their best feature by far.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011 via mobile

When we got in line at the counter, I knew we were in trouble right away when the cashier continued to carry on a conversation with another employee while taking customer's orders. The food was unremarkable and the restaurant itself was not clean. The condiment counter had mustard and catsup spilled everywhere and there were flies buzzing overhead. A pretty unpleasant experience overall.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Danbury, Connecticut
“Living in the past, food lacking, service worse”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We went here on a Saturday night, it was desolate. There was even a car show up the road and no one was there. It was about 9:15...should have been packed. The reason is...it's weak! The food is overpriced ($12 for clam with nada) and it's not very good either! Gummy chewy clams and tartar sauce from a can. They wont serve you, you have to do take out even tho they are set up to serve...what? They don't even have ketchup out, you have to ask for it? The place is dirty too. Not a very safe area for families, lots of sketchy peeps around there. Good to use the free parking lot to walk on the beach tho...that's the only redeeming quality.

• Visited July 2011