“Poor Customer Service!! PAY TO CHECK IN EARLY!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in West Haven
Connecticut
“Poor Customer Service!! PAY TO CHECK IN EARLY!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

The hotel has horrible customer service!! I was going to stay here again as my last stay, I reviewed, was nice but the customer service is horrible. I arrived to the hotel at about 10 minutes til 2pm to check-in. It seemed to be a challenge and I asked if it was possible. Finally I was told they did have rooms, and then I was told it was an early check-in and that woud be an additional $10. Are you kidding me? I stay a hotels all over and have never paid for an early check-in unless I was checking in before 7 or 8am. I can understand that but an hour before check-in time, you have to be kiidding me. Needless to say I cancelled my reservation so instead of me paying them $60 for the night, they lost it over $10.00. I went immediately to another hotel and checked right in. Learn some customer service after all you are in the hospitality business.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
ridge ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Ib lived in ny for many years and stayed at hotels around the country . this is not a family hotel .ot was very obvious of the drugs and prostitution in this hotel and area . took family and ran . thank god we knew a little of the area and went back to the best western on sawmill road , we had stayed there before and thought we might try somthing different. terrible area , dangerous , not a place for children . refused to check in .
thank god for the decent prices and safe enviroment of the best western
c Nielsen
ridge ny

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

I was with a large group but cannot stay longer because of the location was jot safe and the place was so filthy

• Stayed June 2010
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

I was impressed by the Quality of the rooms as an Econo Lodge, I would really think it would be more Comfort Inn Quality instead. The room was large, clean, comfortable and functional. TV had a nice selection channels and the WiFi was reliable. However the drawbacks to this property are:
1) When a Front Desk is enclosed by glass 24 hours a day it doesnt say a very warm welcome. I can see for the nightime hours as security is a must be to be permanently enclosed like a Currency Exchange not very hospitable.
2) Friendliness of Staff - Staff seem to take the interaction of the guest as more of a bother than to be there to assist. I called and it seemed as if she was extremely rush and really not concerned. I checked into the hotel and was given a room on the front side right by the check-in area. For an outside hotel on the interstate this is not a quiet room location. I asked for a room on the back side and felt that I was asking for something that was just not wanted the hotel wanted. While I was finally accomodated it was not with a real friendliness. Hotel staff members represent the property and I dont know if I would really want to go back.
This property would get a higher rating from me if the staff were improved and had some genuine concern for the guest at the front desk. The housekeeping team was wonderful as the room was spotless. Great Job to them.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

We were in Westhaven for three days to attend my sister's graduation ceremony in the University of New Haven and had booked into this hotel as it was giving a good deal and the reviews seemed favourable.

The location is very convenient, just off the freeway, but the area surrounding it looks a little rundown. It has a mobil gas station behind it and a Pizza hut which opens quite late into the night just around the corner. It has ample parking and its free.It distinctly looks like a motel.

The check in process was very efficient but not very friendly, a contrast from my other hotel experiences in the USA during this trip.

We were given two adjacent rooms, and the rooms were suffficiently big and importantly clean. The bathroom could have been a little bit bigger though and the showers were fixed at 5'6'', so six footer like me had to bend my knees to drench myself...it looked likhe e a serious design flaw...nevertheless it was reasonably appointed with clean large towels and the regular cosmetics.

There was no noise and the beds were comfortable, the heaters worked well all giving a good night's sleep.

The complimentary wifi was good, and the cleaners did a great job everyday.

The breakfast was strictly basic continental fare, no excesses here....par for the budget.

I guess they could improve the decor especially of the carpets and curtains.

Overall it was par for the price paid.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

We just returned from another stay at this hotel - this time the tv and a/c were new, as was the carpet. Again it was clean - the bath towels were a bit sparse, but the shower was strong and had a massage feature. There was a hair dryer, iron and ironing board, coffee maker, and the usual cosmetics. The bed was fine. We also saw some police action when we got there (2:00 am on a Saturday) , but it was handled promptly and at no disruption or inconvenience to us. We were two women in a downstairs room but no one bothered us and we saw nothing disturbing. One must accept that cheap hotels also attract an unsavory element, no matter how well managed they are. We saw that the front desk has a screen showing views of the entire property and all floors, and assume that the police are called if anything seems amiss. We felt perfectly safe and will return on our next frequent trip to New Haven. Also, breakfast items were refilled until 9:30, when it closes.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

The Econo Lodge West Haven was actually much more than I was expecting in terms of how nice the actual accommodations were. The room was very comfortable with the only noticeable problem being that the bathroom door did not quite close. There were no strange smells or stains that might be common for a hotel priced at $59 a night and the free breakfast was great! Although it seems like it depends on what time you were to get the breakfast because the first morning we tried to get it around 7 and it was pretty slim, but when we were down at 9 the food was plentiful.

However, it is often said that first impressions are everything. When we pulled up to the motel there were two police cars parked in front of the front desk area and when I went to check in I couldn't help but notice that the front desk is behind bullet proof glass. I guess that management needs to do everything it can to protect it's employees, but I had never seen that before at a hotel and it made a lasting impression on me. Admittedly, I never had the chance to explore the immediate area, so I can't accurately judge it, but that wasn't the best impression I could have received.

All in all, the Econo Lodge was a fine place to stay for an easy drive into New Haven. I don't know what the area right around has to offer, but I after my first impressions, the rooms in the motel were nice enough that I would prefer to just stay in.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!