“Different” 4 of 5 stars

240 Captain Thomas Blvd, West Haven, CT
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: New restaurant they are listed in yahoo, yelp and restaurant.com. I could not find a website for them.
new haven, ct
“Different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Of all the kinds of CaliMex, TexMex, authentic Mexican etc. Mexi-cuisines around, this runs a track between authentic (try the mini street tacos) Americanized (how many kinds of margaritas?) and the downright different (enchiladas made by layering tortillas with filling like a cake, rather than rolling them like manicotti). The carnitas and steak fillings for the tacos are very good.

The salsa would've been better if not cold, and we prefer refritos to frijoles negros, but the food was nicely prepared. Tortillas are made by hand in the middle of the restaurant. Atmosphere is nice enough; prices are standard.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Trumbull, Connecticut
“This Great Restaurant Needs Another Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I don't usually write two reviews for a restaurant unless something has drastically changed. There have been no major changes, but it deserves another recommendation because of the negative comments of one reviewer. I agree, it is in a strip mall and I doubt if I'd eat on the patio. And I'll say it again - if you're looking for the typical Mexican restaurant with re-fried beans and cheese slathered dishes, then you won't find a lot of that here except for the Nachos. If you want the taste of Mexico, this is the right place for you.

My wife and I had dinner here yesterday and her chicken in mole sauce and my shrimp manchmantels were excellent, The flan was the as good as any we have eaten in Mexico or Spain. The cold crab tostadas and the tostadas salad were also excellent. We'd come here just for those and it's a 40 mile round trip drive. The margaritas were my only complaint last time although my wife liked them. This time I upgraded from the $5 house special to the $8 top shelf and I was pleased.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
connecticut
“Very Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We had received a less-than-stellar review from our friends, but they had visited the first week of the opening. Both my wife and I were pleasantly surpised with the food and service. Not your typical mexican like others in the area. Well done sophisticated offerings with BIG flavors, HUGE portions and SMALL prices. Now I'm not one for an order of nachos, but they came so highly recommended by our server, we gave them a try. They were outstanding and absolutely HUGE. I never take home a doggy bag, but made an exception. Steak was a stand-out and desserts were perfect. All at a great value: One Starter, Two Mains (mine was the most expensive item on the menu), two desserts, two martinis and two glasses of pinot grigio = $83

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
West Haven, CT
“Stole my title - Not your typical Mexican place -That's a GOOD thing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We've been to each of the restaurants that occupied this location over-the-years but, only recently visited Fresco (We weren't even sure they had opened yet! -Something about the lighting?)

The menu is unlike any I've ever seen. Not a re-fried bean or ground mystern meat to be seen. The owners include the folks who started the Savin Rock Roasting Company (across-the-street).

Yes, they have yummy nachos (1/2 price Sunday BTW) and some other dishes you'd expect but, also a great selection of upscale choices never seen in your typical Mexican restaurant without crazy pricing.

I hope these folks make it - because it has become one of our "finds".

Atmospher is nice, if plain-vanilla - service pleasant and helpful.

Try it - You'll (probably) like it!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Dissapointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

After waiting a couple of years for the opening, this place is a major dissapoinment. The location is in a strip mall, outside dining -- no thanks! It's more like the smoking section. The interior was skillfully painted but very boring. We were sitted at a table that faced the service area of the kitchen (the restaurant was empty). Over my shoulder was a tortilla bar unattended. The menu is vast; the hostess & server both had to explain how to navigate the assigned reading. I baled & just ordered fajitas. The chicken was dry & overdone; onions not done. Freshly made corn tortillas were good but small needed more than 2; Mexican cream-yum; guac-fair; mexican rice/black beans--boring and cold. Hubby had pork quesadillas--good choice. Chips & sauce ok Thought it was a bit pricey for Mexican food. It was food not a fun experience as many Mexican restaurants are.

• 3 of 5 stars Food