“Good Food and Acceptable Service” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Oxford
“Good Food and Acceptable Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We were there on a Sat. evening at around 7 PM. We were greeted and seated right away--a good start. The salad bar was well stocked with a large selection of items. The steak was delicious and cooked perfectly. My husband ordered fries but was served rice instead. The waiter brought the fries but no ketchup. He then forgot the ketchup again and my husband had to get up and get it himself. The waiter was apologetic in a joking way. He made up for it by stepping up his game throughout dessert and paying the bill. The chocolate layer cake was excellent. The cheesecake was so-so. We enjoyed our dinner with the exception one extremely loud fellow diner. We should have asked to be moved to another table. We will try Chops again.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

62% Recommend
Meriden, Connecticut
“Surprisingly good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We went @ 4:30-5:00 on a Saturday night....not to many folks when we got there.....loved the design from the old "chuck's", nice & open, brighter, very homey with all the wood and brick....Waiter(gentleman from Kosovo) was very informative, coordial and respectful......drinks were nice and strong, so we decided to order the grilled platter medium which included a petite(6-8 oz) filet, french cut pork chop, chicken breast and two nice lamb chops.....There were all grilled perfectly and big enough to be able to enjoy another night....The salad bar had items on there which most do not, not to big, not to small....very good.....The warmth of the decor, wood & brick on a cool afternoon was just fine, sat to the left in what I would call the "balcony" are which was all pine.......Had no complaints....but will probably be back very soon.....looks like a great place to have a Holiday Party.....to bad it is on the Post Rd in West Haven

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Haven, Connecticut
“AWFUL”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This wasn't the first time... well, it was the first 'dinner' for us, second time to hear the music (second time for our friends dining) Let's start with our 8pm reservation. We arrived at 8:11, our friends at 8:01. Our cocktail order was taken at 8:30. I had a chipped water glass, which I asked to have replaced. I got a new water glass and water at 9.

Our dinner order was taken sometime after 9. We were dining with a vegetarian friend. They list a vegetable risotto, but it is not a vegetarian dish, so a "chef's surprise" was ordered. I ordered Pan Seared Diver Scallops, which the menu listed as being served with a sweet onion salsa. Also, a teriyaki steak to be cooked medium rare, and a 'volcano' sirloin (loaded with black pepper) to be cooked to medium. I asked for a baked potato, as did EVERYONE else at the table. A salad bar is included.

The salad bar itself was well picked over. I guess you can't expect much when it's after 9pm. But we managed to make do. Cocktail glasses are now empty, as well as water glasses, which remained that way. And on the table until we left.

Dinner arrived at 9:40pm. My scallops were in a circle around some what looked to be roasted corn with chopped tomatoes, and some type of red sauce artfully circled around the plate. I tasted it, and it was very 'berry' like. That is NOT what I asked for! IN fact the picture of this dish on their web site looked NOTHING like what I was served.

The chef's surprise consisted of grilled veggies, mostly peppers and nothing else. The volcano sirloin was over done and ice cold. The teriyaki steak was cold, and over done, but not cold enough to send back.

In the mean time, the music was great. The owner of the place, who was referred to many times by the musicians as Claudio was happily buying drinks and toasting with others around us and at the bar, but never once came to us.. until... I made eye contact with him.

I had a baked potato for dinner. No one asked me what was wrong with my dinner, nor was I offered anything else. The steak went back and was returned.... (the SAME steak) having been microwaved to heat it up..... making it even more over done!

NOW the owner came to our table... he requested that our drinks be refilled. I declined, the others accepted. 20 minutes later still no replacement steak, and finally cocktails were delivered.

At 10:45 a steak was brought to the table. Water glasses are empty. TWO sets of empty cocktail glasses are empty and on the table.

The tab for this fiasco? $98.00. A round of drinks were comped. My scallops were off the check. The grilled peppers and salad... $19.00!

Everyone has a bad night.

The key is for the owner/manager/wait staff to seize the moment, and find out what would make it better.... "what can I do for you?" (A giant slice of chocolate cake at that point would have soothed me..... )

If ZERO stars were an option, I would chose 0.....

Don't waste your time... even just for drinks!

As I said the music.... Rohn Lawrence and Jay Rowe.... FANTASTIC.... Chops.... AWFUL!!!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New Haven, Connecticut
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Disappointment is really all I can say. The food was mediocre. I did ask for my steak well done but it arrived petrified. But that is not the worst part of the meal. A once famous salad bar has been cut down to the bare minimum. On the night we were there, the lettuce was just above room temperature and it was strange there were no cucumbers or green peppers (especially since it is the middle of the summer!). But that is not the worst of the meal! The lettuce bin was almost empty and I asked about getting it refilled which was done promptly. However, after shaking some out of the container from the kitchen, the server then reached his BARE hand into the container and transferred the remaining greens - HE WORE NO GLOVES!

• Visited August 2012