“Was one of the worst motels I've been in over the last couple of weeks.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 West Haven

Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in West Haven
Leuven, Belgium
“Was one of the worst motels I've been in over the last couple of weeks.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

When arriving round 16:00h, we still needed to wait almost 40min before we could go into our room. The carpets where filled with dirty towels & no cleaning lady in sight. When arriving in our room, it smelled dirty & there was still filth on the floor, the towels had a weird smell. If you have an other alternative, please check for an other hotel.

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Kennewick
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

The hotel is run down on the inside. The photos look MUCH better than the actual item. The Internet is extremely weak and the connection keeps dropping. The hotel smells bad and the heater smelled like something was on fire. It is better than the Days Inn, on Arlington Blvd in Arlington VA but not by much. It is the third worst place I have ever stayed in.
HJ skip

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Good, clean room.
Paying with credit card caused lot of confusion at reception.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
North Little Rock, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Third Super 8 in three nights. Arrived after fourteen hour drive. Neighborhood was not the best, lots of transients. When I walked into hotel lobby is smelled of mustiness mixed with Far eastern cooking and it appeared the whole famiily of Indian decent lived on the property. There was much agitated language being spoke among the family member. I was greeting my the desk clerk who came out of one of the nastiest rooms I have ever seen wiping grease (food) grease off his fingers, and wearing and Tank top covered in food stains, baggy pants, and flipflops. It was not a good first impression. The aroma of Curry powder was beginning to make my eyes water. Reluctanly I checked into the hotel. Once in the room it was acceptable and clean. As the night progressed the clientel deteriorated. At first we were only going to take in what we needed, but then decided we would have to bring in everything from the car. In my several trips back and forth I noticed was appeared to be two or three cars pull up with couple men with was shall we say, professional women. We placed all of our bags infront of door and clained and bolted. We awoke very early and got the heck out of there in the morning. Continental breakfast was a joke. The amazing thing to me is that of the three Super 8 in a row we stayed in they all were being run by the same family name. Two out of three appeared to be a place to live for all of their familiesand no reivestment being put into the faciliites but the owners operators did drive Mercedes and BMW's. Would we stay here again. NO and again NO. Super 8 should disown them as well as the Litchfield, IL location.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
St. Albans, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

We had issues with the Wi-Fi and the owner wasn't very helpful, her daughter was very rude when she asked her for help. The location is good, not far from the lovely beach and not far from the Interstates. The breakfast was awful, the toaster broken and the food on offer was very poor. and no milk. We had to eat our own supplies in the room. We travel for weeks around this country and I make sure I reserve motels with breakfast so it's a real pain when no effort is made but it is advertised - it would be better not to offer then we know where we stand. All in all, a disappointment.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

We recently stayed at the Super 8 Motel in West Haven, CT. We picked it out online (the picture looked okay and the price too). However, the location is in a run down part of West Haven. We arrived around midnight and were too tired to keep on looking. The clerks are hiding behind an inch thick bullet-proof glass partition, the kind where the only opening is a small slit to slide money and credit cards through. The clerk checking us out stared at us with open hostility, didn't say one word. It was like getting checked out of prison. We ran to the car and bolted out of there. Definitely NOT recommended!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

I was in town for a concert and I saved a fortune staying here. It's a lot cheaper than anything in New Haven. Besides, New Haven is only a 5 minute drive away, so why not stay here.

As for the location, yes it's by the freeway and yes there is a boat yard nearby -- no biggy, I'll take the boatyard over some of the dumpy parts of West Haven and New Haven I've seen. I also liked the fact this motel is somewhat isolated from nearby houses and residents (the less people that see my car the less likely it is to be broken into -- out of sight, out of mind).

As for this landfill people keep talking about, I didn't see it, and if it was there, there was no smell at all.

The room itself was clean and so were the bathrooms. No bugs in the beds or creepy-crawlies (be on guard for this, some of the Econolodges in the New Haven area have this issue -- check the reviews). I also liked the free wireless Internet that was included with the room. Bed sheets were pretty good, a few holes here and there in the comforter, but things were clean.

There was a few things I didn't like about staying here, these included:
1) Some odd looking people who looked down on their luck wandering the hallways.
2) Some hallway noise.
3) Interupted at night by some dude blarring his rap music from his car at 2am on two different nights while he was checking in -- how considerate.
4) The part of West Haven this place is in is not the sort of area I'd go for a walk around at night, but on the bright side, the motel is in an isolated spot and I did see a lot of police patrolling the area. Motel parking lot (which is huge) is also well-lit and quite safe.
5) Minor -- smell of middle eastern cooking in the lobby and some hallways.

All in all:
For $50 something dollars you can't go wrong. I'd go back. It's not going to be the most amazing place you've been too, but in terms of value for the money, you will find few things better.

• Liked — Rock bottom room rates
  • Disliked — Other hotel guests
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super 8 West Haven? Share your experiences!