“Very disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Pond House Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 156 Restaurants in West Hartford
Cuisines: American, Eclectic, International
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Prospect
Transit: on Asylum Ave.
Description: Nestled on the pond in historic Elizabeth Park the Pond House is surrounded by gardens & offers four seasons of charm with a menu to match. Changed seasonally we offer eclectic comfort food that reflects the down to earth but playful spirit of our staff. Watch young skaters on the pond while savoring a hearty winter stew. Announce Spring's arrival with a walk through the park followed by brunch on the patio. Stop and smell the world famous roses then linger over dinner as sun slowly sets over the trees. Lunch, Dinner, Brunch & Take out. The Pond House - stylish, fun & playful.
“Very disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Went for dinner with my girlfriends, have been for brunch and it was so nice that I was really looking forward to having dinner there. Service was fine, drinks were good and not overpriced. I thought the some of the menu pairings seemed abit different but expected it to be very good none the less, One friend had the short ribs which came with french fries, would have expected potatoes. The swordfish special seemed pretty good. Another had the jambalaya which looked more like a paella. I had scallops - for $25.67. I thought 3 scallops was pretty darn chintzy. Maybe for lunch and certainly for a lot less money. While the scallops tasted good, they were paired with a jicama slaw that frankly had very little flavor and potato sticks. They were cold and didn't taste much different than what you would get from a can. Overall I was very disappointed for what I paid and what I received. Will probably not go back as there are too many other places that provide a higher quality meal for the price.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

west hartford,CT
“Always a good choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband & I are frequent visitors at the Pond House. We have never had a bad meal-always great. We love tasty Tuesdays- 3 course price fixed menu. The staff is wonderful, as is the food. Lovely views in all seasons- and at Halloween The Pond House is dressed to the nines! - Ghoulish decor inside and especially out. And you can always enjoy Elizabeth Park pre- or post meal. Lunch is also a great treat too.
Lovely wine list and BYOB.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Connecticut
“Perfect Wedding Venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

My son and daughter in law were married in the brilliant Elizabeth Park and enjoyed a most magnificent reception at the Pond House. Everything from the decor to the service - and pefectly prepared food - was impecable. We loved their attention to detail. they did every thing to make it a magical day and they succeeded wildly. We've been back for brunches and dinners and they never cease to amaze.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hartford, Connecticut
“Okay Dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We dined at the Pond House last night as part of a Livingsocial deal. I have been waiting to try this restaurant for a while and the deal was a great way to get us in the door.

The setting is beautiful, located inside Elizabeth Park. Parking was a little bit of a hassle because there was an event going on in the banquet facility. There was no parking in the lot or available on the side of the road. It was dark out and I was not going to park on the other side of the park and walk by myself, so I ended up on the grass.

I am torn in my review of the food because my husband's steak frites were wonderful, accompanied by truffle fries and wonderfully marinated onions. I ordered the salmon with panzenella salad. The salmon was very good, although they did not ask how I wanted it cooked. It came out a lovely medium and was very hot. The accompanying salad was just sad. The tomatoes were barely ripe and although I realize its not their season, they were barely edible. I don't know why they would even put them on the plate. The salad was also poorly seasoned, it didn't taste like much.

While I would probably try the Pond House again, I will definitely be apprehensive about how my meal will turn out. I would return for the ambiance and company.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Glastonbury, Connecticut
“Spectacular Setting, Wonderful Autmun Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Seven of us enjoyed a wonderful brunch, seated on the outdoor patio with a lovely view of the water. It was a crisp autumn morning, but the sunshine warmed things up, and the sights of the falling leaves and the colorful trees made for a great setting. The kids even enjoyed walking around the lake while waiting for their food to arrive...

The food was excellent -- I ordered the autumn brunch special (including a steak benedict w/sweet potatoes - very nice), and sampled some other meals that were on the table (including the vanilla french toast w/pears, apples & cinnamon whipped cream) - it was all really tasty. Prices are very reasonable for the portion sizes and quality of the food. The service was good (not spectacular - we had to go hunt down our own spoons to stir the coffee that was served w/o utensils...), but it wasn't anything negative enough to dampen the experience.

This was our first visit to The Pond Cafe, but it definitely won't be the last - we really had a wonderful experience.

• Visited October 2013