“A little funky in some ways, but OK” 3 of 5 stars

West Hartford Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Farmington Ave, West Hartford, CT 06119   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Hartford
Winter Harbor, Maine
“A little funky in some ways, but OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

The hotel is quite dated and garage parking is a bit odd, but the room was clean and comfortable and the location was a block away from relatives we came to visit. My only major complaint was our room was on the forth floor and my wife is partially handicapped. Not a problem until the fire alarm went off one night and the elevator shut down. Thankfully, a false alarm. My more minor issue was the breakfast was meager at best. All in all, I would stay there again, mainly on price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
West_Hartford_Inn, Manager at West Hartford Inn, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We deeply apologize for the false alarm occurrence during your stay. There was a leak in a gutter that set off a smoke detector in the garage. The issue has been addressed, so it should not happen again. We would be happy to place you on the second floor instead of the fourth during your next visit. Please request so while making your reservation and it will be taken care of. As for the breakfast menu, we offer a continental spread for a quick convenience to start your day. If you have any suggestions as to what you would like to see be offered, please let us know and we can pass it on for possible consideration.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

My company recently sent me to the Hartford area for an assignment and booked me into the West Hartford Inn. When I finally found the hotel ( it is hidden way back behind a gas station and a night club) I was greeted by a small tacky lobby. The front desk person was very welcoming. The elevator was slow and the lights showing the floors didn't work. The room was clean and modern, but the bathroom was small, old, dingy and had black mold in the shower. Also the fan in the bathroom make a horrible noise. At night on the weekend it is very loud out front from the night club patrons who after the night club closes come to the hotel to continue their partying. The noise in the hallways goes all night and so does the smell of pot smoke. At 2AM I needed to get something from my car, when I went into the garage I saw a young man and woman urinating between the parked cars. In the morning I spoke to one of the housekeepers and asked how often the comforters are washed. She told me the linens were changed when someone checks out but the comforters are never washed. After 3 night I couldn't take it any more and had my company move me to the Holiday Inn just down the road.
The location for this hotel is great, but be warned this place is more like a short stay motel then a quality hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your compliment on staff and location. It’s very kind of you considering you had an unpleasant stay with us.

Your concerns are valid and well heard. We have a very diverse staff here, and a few employees that speak English as their second language might mispronounce or use improper words when replying to a question. Comforters are regularly washed, so please accept our sincerest apologies for the misunderstanding. Currently, we are in discussions with an architect about possible future upgrades to the lobby and the bathrooms. As for the noise levels and the unfortunate incident in the parking lot, this should no longer be an issue. The club has officially closed as of Memorial Day weekend.

Again, management apologizes for the inconvenience you have suffered and hope you will consider another visit after further upgrades have been made.

Manager
Milton, New Hampshire, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Let me establish my credibility. Having over 10 years experience in the hotel industry, I know what extraordinary customer service is. I also have seen and stayed in great facilities. West Hartford Inn is not in any of these categories. I was very much disappointed with my 2 day stay to visit family.

First, West Hartford Inn was hard to find due to poor signage, location and abutting a restaurant. The breakfast was disgraceful - tiny bagels were hard, bread dry and not much variety. Breakfast room was located at the end of the second floor hallway. Using the elevator was a joke because the lights indicating the floors were broken. I had to rely on the number at the door edge when the door opened.

Bathroom was a 1960's style with shower doors that had mold growing inside the ledge. Lobby was very small and leads right into the parking garage.

Two of the front desk personnel were great - Hitesh and Terri - thanks; however, Mancusio? brought the plunger to me and didn't even do the plunging. The nice guy that I am, I plunged my own... He was helpful in a sense but didn't do the job completely! Room was clean and well maintained.

Overall, you get what you pay for; however, I will avoid this hotel like the plague - sorry.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
West_Hartford_Inn, Manager at West Hartford Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Peter S.,

Thank you for bringing your concerns about our inn to our attention. We are pleased that you were happy with the service you were provided by Hinesh and Teri, and will be sure to pass on your compliment. Most of the issues that you wrote about in your review have either been addressed or are currently being worked on.

In regard to the third mentioned staff member, Mauricio, we understand that he brought you a plunger because there was an issue with the plumbing in your room. Unfortunately, the problem was reported late at night, and being a small inn, maintenance is only scheduled during day hours. Front desk staff assists guests as best as they can, without leaving the desk unattended for long periods of time, unless there is an emergency. Since Mauricio is not from the maintenance department, he was only able to help to a partial degree. A relocation of your room would have been happily obliged until a properly attired and skilled staff member was available for repairs the following morning.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have been caused during your stay at the West Hartford Inn. We hope that once further upgrades are made you will reconsider a second stay with us.

Management
Sharps Chapel, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

This trip was between Christmas and New Years. The good: Check-in was easy and friendly. The room is spacious, clean, no street noise, has microwave, fridge, in-room coffee and wifi. Walking distance to West Hartford Center with a restaurant next to the hotel and many more eateries and shops a couple of blocks away. On bus route for trips to downtown Hartford, Mark Twain House, etc. Room was unusual in that there was plenty of lighting and a comfy chair for reading. Has flat screen wall mounted TV.
The bad: Promised HBO was not functioning and could not be fixed until owner's returned from an out-of-the-country vacation in a few weeks. Hall noise from late guests checking in awoke me. Then awoke to what sounded like a man in my room and discovered it was the radio. The alarm clock radio had been set for the radio to go on at midnight. Toilet kept running (even though I adjusted it) every time it was used and still did not work well after I told the desk clerk on day 2. Floor baseboards missing and area where rug meets wall is ragged with dried plaster on the rug. I was advised upon check-in that there was a Continental breakfast and went down to lobby to find it. There was no one at desk and only coffee and a sign saying that I should take a seat until the clerk returned. There was someone walking around the driveway smoking but I thought he was a guest. He saw but ignored me. I later discovered he was the desk clerk. Although there was no in-room info or hall signs, I was later told that the breakfast was on the second floor. There were no signs there either, I just had to wander down the hallway until I found the designated room.But I really did like the room and the location and would give this hotel a second chance

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
West_Hartford_Inn, Manager at West Hartford Inn, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for bringing your concerns about our hotel to our attention. We are taking the time to address the issues you mentioned in your review. For example, we are unaware of the time and volume that a guest sets the in-room alarm clock due to privacy during their stay. However, the fear that you felt from the radio led management to suggest that housekeeping check each clock when they clean rooms. Hopefully, this will rectify the situation, so it does not happen again.

The coffee urn in the lobby is available 24/7 for guests who are on the run or simply want the convenience of ready-made coffee. Due to building design structure, the lobby does not provide enough space for a comfortable breakfast experience. We have a cozy room available for all of our guests to enjoy their morning fare, which is located up on the second floor at the other end of the hallway from the elevator. Typically upon check-in the front desk staff informs new guests of hotel policy and amenities we offer. In instances when the before mentioned are not discussed, we have signage on the front desk counter stating time (and location) of the breakfast and exercise room, check-in, and check-out. In light of your comments, however, management is looking into order placement for better signage throughout the hotel and rooms. Please note that we have recently made some staff changes. All returning guests should start to see some vast improvements over the next few months.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have been caused during your stay at the West Hartford Inn. We are happy you had a few positive experiences with our friendly staff, and with the convenience of our location. We look forward to the opportunity to make your next visit a better encounter.

Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed so that we could visit the homes of Samuel Clemens and Harriet Beecher Stowe. The location was good; the bed was comfortable. Although there was an attached club, we never heard a peep of their loud music.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments. It is wonderful to hear you chose our hotel due to convenience of our hotel near to two iconic landmarks. We look forward to your return visit, so you can enjoy upcoming improvements to our hotel.

Regards,
Missoula, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because it was convenient to festivities for a recent family wedding. Given a choice, I would not stay here again.

We were greeted with signs about the hotel's renovation, but had no idea we would be staying in a room that WAS in the throes of being renovated. Baseboards were non-existent, the rug was coming up, a towel rack was literally falling out of the wall, the air-conditioning system did not work except on 'high' and then not for very long (this would prove to be very bad), and the fan/overhead light system in the bathroom did not work at all. The blankets had holes in them.

The hotel was difficult to find, as the sign is small and nearly obscured by other business signs and entered via a tiny driveway. Furthermore, the exercise room is not locked and no towels are available to wipe down equipment. Rooms were very slow to be cleaned, so that ours didn't get cleaned at all, by the time we returned mid-afternoon.

All of that might have been overlooked except for the proximity of this hotel to the Shish Club. Not only did we have to walk through clouds of smoke from smokers outside the club in order to reach the door but we were awakened both nights of our stay by partiers exiting the club at 2 AM. These people were not just talking, they were yelling, fighting, and screaming and such noise went on for at least an hour. Forewarned after the first night, we tried to damp the noise the second night via the air-conditioning system but it turned itself off, even on the 'high' setting before 2:00 AM. Unfortunately there were no other rooms on the other side of the hotel.

We mentioned all this to the clerk who did not bother to discount anything but did mention that they never put people in a particular room (202 - not ours) due to the bass music club noise that penetrates through the walls. Why would they even ever USE that room is beyond me!

The only good thing about this hotel were the comfortable beds, the proximity to Town and Blueback Squares, and the free wireless.

Room Tip: Hmmmm. If you have to stay here, I would not choose a weekend. And ask for a room on non-club (not...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for bringing your concerns about our hotel to our attention. Management understands that the partial upgrades had caused a bit of disorder in some of our rooms. We are doing our best to increase the attractiveness and functionality to better suit the needs of our guests. With recent staff changes, and completed upgrades to the 3rd and 4th floors, we have been able to do so in a timelier manner. We hope you will revisit our hotel, so you can see our commitment to providing a comfortable experience to all of our guests.

Brodnax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Comfortable, charming inn. Would go back in a second! Steven made our stay comfortable, as well as the desk attendant. We stayed in the suite, #207, I believe, and it was just wonderful. Spacious room with GE Profile appliances: microwave and toaster oven. There was also a coffee maker. The room was EXTRA clean, had a king size bed, nice linens, great furnishings. Good breakfast with cereals, milk, juices and Otis Spunkmeyer muffins. Very "homey" atmosphere. Great off-street parking. Can't complain.

Room Tip: Ask to see a room before you book. They are more likely to give you a room that is nicer.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to West Hartford Inn? Share your experiences!