“Great room and good location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Waterbury
Pittsburgh, PA
“Great room and good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This hotel is located right in downtown Waterbury and yet is also just a minute or two off I-84. Parking is in a garage next door and is free. The hotel meets the expected Courtyard standards. I believe that the building has 11 or 12 floors and elevator service is good. The most common complaint about the noise is a valid one. I could here the highway a distance away and on the 8th floor, along with occasional sirens. I didn't hear noise from the hallway or any other rooms though. The staff was decent. The room was in excellent condition, is nicely decorated and furnished and is very comfortable. My only complaint was that the room, oddly, didn't have any mirrors in the actual room -- only the one in the bathroom. Considering that the fan in the bathroom didn't seem to exhaust, this was an even bigger inconvenience. The WiFi was very stable and fast. The staff was competent. One minor issue is that on the day of checkout, my receipt was never slid under the door as it should have been, per the hotel's own procedure.

Room Tip: The side that doesn't face the highway MAY be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Courtyard-Waterbury, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Waterbury Downtown, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we are your overall stay was commfortable. We apologize that you did not receive a bill under your door as this is a standard procedure for us. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. We want you to know that we truly enjoy sharing our passion for our destination with visitors and want you to walk out the door feeling refreshed.We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Tiffany A Wilson

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've stayed at the Courtyard in Waterbury a number of times, including this past weekend. Despite the noise (more on that later), it's still my favorite place to stay in the area. The rooms are reasonably priced, large and clean. Fast wireless internet. Paul Mitchell amenities in the bathroom. Garage parking is now free (it wasn't the last time I stayed here, so this was a nice surprise). Staff is very accommodating (no pun intended). I wish there was an option to rate them a 3.5 - this hotel is better than "average" but not quite "very good".

The downside is really the noise - you can hear other guests slamming their doors, taking showers and flushing their toilets. Plus the bells that ring frequently throughout the day (it seemed to be every 30 min?) between 9 am-9 pm. I always travel with earplugs but I appreciated that there has a fresh packet of earplugs on one of the bedside tables.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Courtyard-Waterbury, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Waterbury Downtown, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Thenewval,

Thank yor for your reivew on your recent stay. We are pleased that you found your stay "even" better than last time. Our staff enjoys to make you feel right at home. We hope to have you back and your next stay top's this one!

Tiffany A Wilson
Courtyard Waterbury
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Our room was clean, in good repair, and comfortable. The hotel staff was knowledgeable, friendly, and professional. Its location is ideal being close to the Interstate highway and to downtown shopping and offices. This is certainly no resort hotel, but is rather a very practical place to stay for the through traveler or short stay Waterbury visitor. I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Courtyard-Waterbury, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Waterbury Downtown, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your words regarding the hotel and the service we provided for you. On behalf of the entire staff here at the Courtyard we strive for excellence and we are thankful for the 4 Star Review. We hope to have you back again, but this time turn your good stay, into a great one!

Mrs. Tiffany Wilson
Niceville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I wasn't expecting much when I booked here other than a solid, comfortable hotel. To the extent it was inexpensively priced I feel I got what I paid for. I rated it poor because of the appearance which is dingy from the exterior and the noise. I don't have great demands for hotels when I am not on vacation and this was just a short stay due to jet lag. But here lies the problem. This hotel was so noisy, I had to wear my noise-cancelling headphones to sleep through the night. There is some kind of musical bell tower that goes off every hour with a full tune that must play out for about 1-2 minutes. At one point it woke my husband and he asked, "What are you doing?" I answered, "It's not me, I think its a church or something." I still don't know what it was, but I know it goes off every hour. Then there is the road noise, ambulances, fire trucks. We even had a fire alarm go off while we were just settling into our room. I know it is not the hotels fault, and it did not affect my rating of course.
I see there are many good reviews for this hotel, and I am not sure why my experience was so different from the others. The front desk receptionist was very friendly and helpful. But I am sorry to say I personally would not stay here again if given the choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Courtyard-Waterbury, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Waterbury Downtown, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We apologize that you did not enjoy your stay completely with us. We appreciate your feedback, it can only help us improve. We hope that if you find yourself in the Waterbury area again, you would give us another chance.

Northborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Good solid place to stay. Everything you would expect from a Courtyard hotel.

Stayed here when I was caught in a snowstorm on my way back home. The lobby and common areas were modern and well maintained.

The front desk staff were pleasant and efficient.

The room itself was clean, well maintained but a little dated. Comfortable stay with a nice TV, comfortable bed and good reliable internet access.

Overall a nice experience and I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Courtyard-Waterbury, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Waterbury Downtown, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Miusa,
Thank you for the hotel recommendation. We are please that you found our staff friendly and your accomodations comfortable. We hope to see you back in the future.

Cheshire, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I had not stayed here in years, mostly because I live in the area. Well, my house was being painted and I needed a night away from the fumes.

Since my last stay, the hotel has been renovated--not for the better. The lobby is confusing, with chairs scattered about seemingly helter skelter. Once we reached our room, things were not much better. There was no one "book" explaining services, such as housekeeping, room service, etc. There was a laminated menu in the room, but it was unclear if it was for the restaurant or room service. (Turns out it was for both.)

Like others, I found the hotel very noisy, and, like others, discovered ear plugs on the nightstand.

I have stayed in many a hotel located on the grounds of an airport, including London's Heathrow, and never heard so much a jet taking off. In my opinion, there is no reason for this much noise. If the hotel was renovated in 2008, as claimed, then more insulation could have been added.

Staff appeared to be untrained but eager to please.

A definite disappointment, Marriott.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Courtyard-Waterbury, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Waterbury Downtown, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear lovetotravel1018,
Thank you for your feedback during your stay. I am disappointed that you did not find our hotel to meet your requirements for a pleasant stay. The hotel was recently renovated with a modern open lobby/lounge concept. We are also revamping to the new Bistro concept in the early part of 2013. We are located in downtown Waterbury and are prone to general city noise, ambulances, etc. We do our best to make our guest feel at home. We hope you in the area again and will stop in and give us another chance so we can prove to you why we are the number 1 rated hotel in Waterbury. Thank you again for your feedback.

Irondequoit, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I booked this hotel blind through a room bidding service, have stayed here a few times through same service.

Rooms are large and clean, as is the hotel itself, with decent wifi connections and a good working area. Bed is comfortable, showers and amenities are fine. I did not hear any outside noise, even on the second floor, but wasn't on the highway side, and I'm not very sensitive to that anyway.

Ordered room service, this was the only problem. Whoever took my initial order dd not put it in, when I called 30 minutes later to check on it, I was told it was coming up, then I received a call shortly after that acknowledging that they did not have my order and were going to expedite it. They offered me a complimentary beverage for the inconvenience, but I passed. The food was OK, bun a little stale.

However, I believe it isn't the problems that should be concentrated on, but how well it is responded to, and the staff handled that ably.

Overall, a good place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Courtyard-Waterbury, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Waterbury Downtown, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Thank for your honest review of your stay. I am pleased our team was sincere in handling your room service corrections. Thank you for being a continuos loyal customer.

Best regards,

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Waterbury Downtown? Share your experiences!