“Wonderful Inn, Mediocre, country-club food” 4 of 5 stars

118 Woodbury Rd, Washington, CT 06793 (Formerly Mayflower Inn)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Washington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Wonderful Inn, Mediocre, country-club food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

Our room at the Mayflower (one of the least expensive they have) was beautiful, if a little frilly. The bathroom amenities were on par with other nice hotels, but it would have been nice to have a larger tub or something of that nature.

Spa is AMAZING, and well-worth the trip in and of itself: spacious, quiet, and superb service. Really, one of the nicest spas I have ever seen, replete with a jacuzzi and pool.

The public space was incredibly cozy, nice fireplaces, plush chairs, good place to play scrabble (all critical) and we were offered a drink or snack as soon as we sat down.

If it weren't for the overpriced and profoundly mediocre food, I would have given this place 5 stars. The food was greasy, not flavorful, and very expensive.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

A birthday surprise visit to the Mayflower Inn & Spa was indeed a magical experience. The understated elegance is apparent throughout the property and our 24 hour visit consisted of a tough massage, a yoga class (my first!), a fabulous dinner and pub lunch before a hike throughout the grounds. Our room (#42) was conveniently situated next to the spa and I can honestly say that, having visited many 5-star spas throughout Europe and Asia, the Mayflower Spa is simply a design jewel and holds it own to any other 5 star experience we have enjoyed.
We found all staff to be friendly but not overly-formal and the drive was only an hour from Greenwich, CT.
The entire 24 hour experience was also fair value for money and now I'm sad to be home but will always remember this magical birthday treat at the Mayflower Spa & Inn.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

We stayed here for a long weekend. The room we had was nice and looked out on the gardens, but it felt a bit dated. The bed was wonderful - the gift shop actually carries all the linens and we bought the featherbed, etc, because we liked it so much (I was pregnant and it was next to impossible for me to find a comfortable way to sleep, so this was very helpful).

Small/Big issue - all the smells from the restaurant below permeated our room. As I was pregnant, it made me literally, immediately, sick every time I entered the room, so I could not stay there. For the benefit of regular people =) my husband said that it was pretty bad as well. The housekeeping service offered to air it out for us, and to "spray" the room, but given that I was pregnant I did not want any heavy spraying to be used and asked them not to spray the room. Airing out the room did not help, in fact it made it worse. We decided to leave for dinner and hoped it would be better. After dinner, it was not better, and they had actually sprayed the room while we were out (you could smell the spray in the air).
As they were booked, they could not move us to a different room. They gave us a choice of staying in the Tea House ( I think that is the right name), which is kind of a game house separate from the inn - they moved the sofa and put a bed in there (not a great choice). Through all of this all the staff were extremely pleasant, and they tried to be helpful.
The restaurant is only worth mentioning because of how bad it was. Both for breakfast and lunch the service was lukewarm, inexperienced and inadequate. The food barely passable, definitely not worth the prices. I would strongly recommend that you go elsewhere if you are staying at the Inn.
The spa was fabulous. The prices were not low, but I felt the service and ambiance was great.
If we were to return to this area we would look for a different property.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
thsloppy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

I stayed here recently for a regional meeting during the week in room #23. I read some of the other reviews and in some cases could not figure out what they were talking about. I think people have to realize what you are going here for ... it is a historic rustic type hotel but highly upscale at the same time. My room was well appointed and first class all the way. The most comfortable bed, sheets etc. I've ever slept in ...like a cloud. It is not contemporary by any means, more old english in design. Yes, the building is old, but that is the experience and charm. Don't expect a Ritz Carlton. The common areas are rustic and quiet, with at least 3-4 fireplaces throughout the main mansion. I found the food selection and quality outstanding, the tap room relaxing and good for conversion and the service friendly and impeccable. They even served us with additional beverages and an ice cooler in the library room after the tap room closed which was a nice extra so my colleagues and I could continue our discussion. The spa looked beautiful but I didn't get a treatment. If you come here just know what to expect: quiet, relaxing, upscale yet rustic, high quality but pricey. You will spend at least $1,000-1200 a night with food, beverages and spa. I would like to take my wife here for a relaxing night away from the kids as she would certainly appreciate it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
fabfinds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

We couldn't stop raving about how much we loved this place. It is by far one of the most elegant places I have been to...the furnishings are top notch. Excellent service, each room is uniquely but very finely decorated and no stone is unturned. The main building which houses some rooms, the restaurant, bar and front desk is as old world and elegant as the three cottages are. The main building of the spa is spectacular and is possibly the nicest spa I have been to, and I have been to many. We can't wait to go back and in fact are going back after the holidays with some friends who will be visiting from out of town. The only thing I have to say is it is very expensive, averages about $1100 a night...but look for specials or promotions. It is totally the quintessential picturesque spa/hotel in a fabulous northeastern setting.....any season would make this a wonderful getaway weekend. If you are looking to get away to somewhere quiet, refined and relaxing...look no more!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

While the room was very nice (a bit worn though. The dust ruffle needed replacing, the sink had an annoying drip), the rest of the place was a big disappointment. The food ranged from just passable at best to actually bad! Paying $18 for appetizers in the tap room should make this a felony!

The service was ok, but nothing special and there was NOTHING to do in the evening. No guitar player or piano player to listen to. No fire to sit by (the one in the tap room was broken), no evening lectures -- they told us to play a board game. I can do that at home and not have to pay $600 for a room!

Everything is so overpriced here and al la carte, that you don't want to take advantage of the spa. A manicure is $65! There were no outdoor activities -- only a few classes in the a.m. -- one after the other, so that you don't have a choice.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

It was a pleasure staying at the Mayflower Inn for 2 days in July . After hearing much about this highly ranked property, I was was anticipating a letdown of sort. Not so.............
The place is off the beaten path but really close to alot. The room was quiet, neat and the bathroom was great. The help was great but never even visable or in the way. They seem to know the job and just provide a superior experience. we especially loved the spa. One of the best we have ever been too. so relaxing and calm.
We hope we can visit again when we can afford this super treatment.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mayflower Grace? Share your experiences!