“Great potential” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Great potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We visited Mayflower years ago and looked forward to our return. The intervening years seem to have had mixed impact on this beautiful property. The setting and the buildings are lovely and made for relaxing. The newish spa was fantastic and the services excellent. However, our room (in the attractive free-standing Allerton building) offered a wonderful view, but the carpet was frayed and extensively stained and upholstery was discolored and worn well beyond what is reasonable for a room of this price. Even worse, the construction of the building was so poor that we literally heard every single footstep taken by our upstairs neighbors. This should be corrected. About a third of the path lights leading to the main building were out making our post-dinner walk a bit perilous. Service in the main dining room was friendly and attentive though very young and not as polished was one might anticipate. We were also surprised to find the maitre'd dressed in casual shirt and slacks at a Saturday night dinner, appearing more like a day-time guest than an evening host. The dining room seems very ready for a makeover, and the tables, without even a sprig of rosemary to dress them up, seemed a bit woeful. The summer menu was still being served on this early Oct. night, which seemed, and was, out of season. Food was spotty. Some quite good, other dishes not so. Our experience dining in the bar was more successful than the main dining room. We understand the hotel was recently sold. We hope the new owners will be able to help Mayflower regain its former stature and its great potential.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Bridgewater, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I’ve been to the Mayflower many, many times over the last twenty years: mostly to the bar, rarely to the restaurant and I’ve never stayed the night or used the spa. But that may change, as I think the Mayflower is changing in very big and very good ways because of its new general manager, Stuart Barwise.

My wife and I go the bar at the Mayflower mostly to enjoy the outstanding piano playing of David Grausman. The last time we were there, we met Stuart in the bar and talked for a long time. I can’t say just how impressed my wife and I were with everything that he brings to the Mayflower. The impression is best summed up in the fact that the man loves his job, loves to host people at his hotel, knows how to do it right and is genuinely bothered when something is not right. There is no simpler key to running a great hotel, or key to the problems the Mayflower currently suffers, so I have really great hopes that what’s great at the Mayflower already will be preserved, and the ways that it falls down will be fixed.

Business has taken me all over the world, mostly Southeast Asia and Europe, working on projects that help companies improve the ways they treat their customers. This work has made me (unfortunately) very sensitive to how I’m treated as a customer. I’ve lived 3 months at a stretch in a new hotel every night, every night a new customer. I’ve dealt with staff that shouted at me for arriving after their reservation deadline. I’ve dealt with staff that did a pretty good job of faking smiles and pretending they meant “happy to help you, sir” while looking for the fastest way to go on break. And I’ve dealt with staff that really enjoyed their jobs--I mean really enjoyed what they do—so they do it well down to every last detail. You come away looking forward to your next visit, relishing how well you were treated, playing certain details over in your head with admiration and delight. That hasn’t happened very often, but it happened at the Mayflower.

The current problems at the Mayflower (the flat food in the restaurant and the uneven staff—I agree with those reviews) won’t be solved overnight, but with a man like Stuart at the helm, I have complete faith that they will. The facility is magnificent, I hear the spa is magic, Dave’s piano is endlessly entertaining, and it’s nearby for us. In six months or so, I expect everything else will be in line with the best of the Mayflower, and I’ll post another review, whether for the best or not

Room Tip: The rooms at the Mayflower are all different. Though I've not stayed in any of them, I'd ask...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

The location of the Mayflower cannot be surpassed - the grounds are quiet and beautifully landscaped and the inside well appointed. I agree with the other guests who commented on the cuisine. It was nothing special as one would expect from a top notch hotel, but the new owners have only been in residence for six weeks so they deserve some slack on that. I do think that the new owners should lower the menu prices until they find a new chef as they are too high for such low quality. The spa has a good selection of services and the staff are well trained and very pleasant. I'd like to return next year and see what improvements have transpired. One suggestion to the new management: the beds are comfortable, but the pillows start out plump and by morning are flat - the same is true of the pillow top. Perhaps it's time for fresh bedding. I will say that our room was spotless - including the bathroom. We appreciated the efforts of the housekeeping staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wenham, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip down to picturesque Washington, CT and especially to the Mayflower Inn & Spa. Knowing this hotel had such rave reviews, I was optimistic I would not be disappointed. Talk about a relaxing set up, it's like staying at a lovely English Manor. The spa is stunning and the treatment I had was the best spa treatment ever received. I look forward to returning to see how Mayflower Inn gets updated and transitions into another award-winning Grace Hotels property.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Litchfield County, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We are locals and have been semi-regulars of The Mayflower for nearly 20 years. We hadn't been in quite sometime because the last several meals we had were dismal, to say the least. We were thrilled there are new owners, because the last two quote obviously didn't concentrate on providing quality food showcasing any culinary creativity whatsoever. So tonight we went very excited that the new owners had taken care of the lacluster dining experience of the last several years. We decided to have a drink before ordering dinner, and went to sit outside to enjoy the beautiful views from the porch on a beautiful day. We went to sit down at a table on the porch, but soon moved our party to the bar room after finding that the tables and chairs were dirty from the previous patrons (spilled food on the table top and crumbs on the chair cushions). After drinks, we ordered the "Puree of Summer Corn" soup for an appetizer which wasn't horrible, just incredibly bland and average. For our entree, we ordered the "Summer Harvest Composition
with Romesco sauce and Tempura Fava Bean Clusters", which translates to: "A few steamed vegetables on top of a small spoonful of red sauce with two BATTERED & DEEP FRIED pieces of indiscernible vegetables. Yes, I said battered and deep fried -- just like what you see for a chain restaurant commercial on television like The Red Lobster or Applebee's! And all of this for only $32.00 per-plate! Well, let's just say that after having dinner at the Mayflower, we actually stopped on the way home to pick up a pizza (and we're typically not fans of pizza, but needed to get something in our stomachs). I guess I'm just spoiled after having recently just come back from a stay at The Beverly Hills Hotel and a week of dining at The Polo Lounge. Anyone who is looking to understand what to offer dining guests, should check out their menu. I fully understand that when taking over any establishment, it takes time to implement changes / upgrades, BUT, it is so important to clean house as quickly as possible to let the public know you are serious about making changes, for the better. This should be first priority. So in a nutshell, new owners, same (bad) experience. Too bad...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Stuart B, General Manager at The Mayflower Grace, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear LfldCtyConn

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. As a guest of the Mayflower of the last 20 years, we deeply value your comments and would like to reassure you that we are working hard on the new restaurant concept which will be a total departure from the existing format. This will take some time to perfect, and we will be officially rebranded as The Mayflower Grace in December. We fully accept responsibility for cleanliness and I will be addressing this personally with the team to ensure our high standards are consistent. I do hope that you will come back again in a few months, when we will have officially relaunched the restaurant as Muse by Jonathan Cartwright. We will be keen to showcase the new dining experience and menu to you and the many other loyal Mayflower guests who have also been enjoying the hotel for the past years. Please feel free to contact me directly and I look forward to greeting you personally.

Kind regards
Stuart Barwise
Greenwich, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Having had a lovely stay in April, we were excited to return in September for another weekend getaway.

Unfortunately we discovered that the Inn once again had been sold and was under new management. It showed. The front desk did not remember us even though we have come twice yearly over the past four years. More than once we were asked, "is this your first time here?" More annoying was that the dinner menu hadn't changed since April and there were no specials offered either Friday or Saturday night. Time for a new chef.

The two times we ordered room service were disappointing. Once the time was wrong and the other they forgot an item. No thank you or happy you came upon leaving. No baggage service entering or leaving. The rooms are absolutely lovely but the service was poor. Alas, the spa was, as always, amazing. So until they get better service just come for a fabulous spa experience.

This is a Relais properly? Not worth the price point. Going to try another inn that a spa worker recommended the next time.

Room Tip: The rooms are lovely but because they are renovating there are mattresses and refrigerators in the h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuart B, General Manager at The Mayflower Grace, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear Mary J,

Thank you for your generous comments about our spa but thanks too for sharing your concerns with us and may I say how sorry we are that the service you received did not live up to the standards that we seek to achieve and that you have come to expect. The hotel is indeed under new management and we are now in the process of adapting and improving many aspects. Once this work is completed the hotel will become The Mayflower Grace - part of an award-winning luxury hotel group. Nonetheless, we attach great importance to regular guests such as you whose allegiance to the hotel over the years has helped make it what it is today. So, even during this transition phase, we seek to uphold the standards of the Mayflower and recognise how important it is for us to acknowledge our returning guests and provide them with a proper welcome.

One of the most significant changes we are planning is the creation of a new restaurant: a new ‘Muse by Jonathan Cartwright’ restaurant following its success at our sister hotel, The Vanderbilt Grace in Newport Rhode Island. But unfortunately creating an entirely new dining concept does take time – hence the familiar menu that you experienced.

May I apologise again for the standards of service which on this occasion were clearly below what we expect to deliver to every guest. I do hope you will give us a chance to restore your faith in the Mayflower Inn and would be grateful if you would contact me personally when you return to the hotel.

Stuart E. Barwise
The Mayflower Grace
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I can't recommend the spa more highly. Not just the award winning design but the actual treatments. They're definitely really skilled masseuses. We didn't enjoy our breakfast so much though. We had the eggs benedict, and found the home made english muffin so bland neither of us ate it.

Room Tip: They're big grounds, we were right by the Spa which was great,worth a request.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mayflower Grace? Share your experiences!