“Beautiful property, but overpriced” 4 of 5 stars

The Mayflower Grace
118 Woodbury Rd, Washington, CT 06793 (Formerly Mayflower Inn)   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Washington B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pa
“Beautiful property, but overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The Mayflower Inn is located in perhaps the prettiest part of CT. It is beautifully landscaped with majestic old trees. The room was well furnished but it had no HDTV and there was no cell phone reception. The food did not measure up to the prices charged. For good seafood, try the Saltwater Grill in Litchfield.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

129 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I've stayed at some very special places around the world, including other 5 star hotels, and this is one of the best. Going into a Relais & Chateaux property, one already has high expectations, and this did not disappoint. In fact, our stay exceeded our expectations. We stayed here as a mini retreat and we felt like we had entered another world, with all of our stress left behind. Outstanding service, the staff greeted us by name yet respected our wish for privacy, Red Flower amenities, luxurious bedding, great reading materials with the comfy chairs and good reading lights to match, spotlessly clean, beautiful manicured gardens all in spring bloom, excellent fitness facitilies…I could go on and on. We'll definitely be back. Yes, it is pricey, but you know that going in, and if you want the ultimate in luxury and refinement, it is worth the price.

Room Tip: Each room is different so check on-line to see photos of the rooms. Most rooms have beautiful woodl...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I live in CT and wanted to find a quiet one night getaway. The Mayflower Inn seemed like the perfect place. We did manage to relax, have great massages and a good dinner but for an over a $2100 bill racked up in less than 24 hours (check in time 3 pm, check out 12 pm and late check out was denied), I have to conclude we could have done much better for that much money. The service was polite and attentive but the place is full of young servers. At dinner and at lunch we were handed each other's plate of food. When I finally got the waiter’s attention for a salt shaker, he forgot about it. The peaceful and quiet setting unfortunately is disturbed during the day with football games at a school adjacent to the property. Still, we knew all the costs for the $875 room, the $220 massage, the dinner, the wine upfront. What really put me over the edge and will prevent me from ever going back was the $86 room service cost for a tea, a double espresso ($20!!) and two $28 smoothies. They were very encouraging of us ordering breakfast in our room and it made sense in retrospect why. The rates are not published and so they pretty much get you on charging enormous amounts for every item, plus a mandatory tip AND a room service charge. Our $86 tea, coffee and smoothie meal was more than an entire lunch in their restaurant. A day after I got home, I decided to call the Mayflower and spoke to the front desk manager to explain how I thought the prices for the room service were exceptionally high. His response was 'excellent choice for the smoothies'. He did say that I could email my concerns to his manager. I told him that I had just spoke to him for about 10 minutes expressing my thoughts, good and bad about their Inn and that I would appreciate it if he could relay my comments to the manager himself and have the manager personally call me. He agreed to pass on my message. Its been 5 days now and I have not heard a single word from them. For a $2100 charge racked up in less than 24 hours, you would think they would at least respond to my concerns.
The bottom line, unless you have loads of money to waste at your disposal, there are much better places you could go for those prices where managers would be a lot more attentive and prices would not make you leave with a newly found stress of feeling robbed!

Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Whoever said "there's no place like home" hasn't gone to the Mayflower Inn and spa in the heart of Lichtfield County CT. From the moment you arrive to when you depart the staff make you feel at home. The Inn is spread out over acres of manicured land with multiple activities and areas to enjoy. The state of the art spa is nothing more than spectacular. The room we enjoyed was in Allerton house a few steps from the spa and a 2 min walk to the main Inn where the taproom, dining room and enclosed porch await you. Cudos to the brothers from Greenwich who have restored a true 5 star gem and have put together a team including Travis, Sue, Ben and others to make your stay a real "home coming"

Room Tip: Ask for Allerton house. The rooms are superb and larger than the inn.
Greenwich, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

At the last minute we decided that we needed a getaway and why not try the "new" Mayflower Inn. We had visited twice in the past; the first experience was great and the second was not terrific at all.

We are proud to report that under new management (two years old), Mayflower is one of the most beautiful inns that we could ever expect. Old world elegance plus superior service equals and extremely pleasant experience. And, we were particularly thrilled to get an upgrade (without asking) to rooms 50-52, a suite to die for. The bed alone is worth seeing and true perfection!

But, the Spa, ahhh. The true stillness and quiet of the spa is simply amazing. A whisper is the loudest you will hear. The quality of the massages were A plus and this is coming from lots of experience at many other spas. This is the place to go for a truly sumptuous and romantic evening. You won't want to leave.

The dining area is quite romantic and the food is above average but the experience is delightful. Go for the room, the ambiance and, above all, the spa. I even bought my second "lamb" blanket to bring home again. The spa blankets are heavenly.

Room Tip: The lodge that is not in main lodge is best, rooms 50-52.
Washington Township, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

What a lovely way to spend a weekend. As soon as we drove onto the property we felt more relaxed which is what this wonderful inn is all about. From the lavendar scented rooms, to the charming bar and the beautiful spa, this is a place to decompress.

This was our first time visiting the Mayflower Inn and while I had heard how great the spa was I wish I would have taken the praise a bit more seriously and spent more time with treatments, classes and relaxation. Next time I know.

We did not eat at the inn but we did enjoy wine at the bar and the staff was friendly, professional and polite. The same was true for everyone we came in contact with. The grounds were lovely even in winter and the room was very clean. Bath towels could be a bit higher quality but an easy fix.

We will be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
West New York, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Incredible service, nicely appointed rooms, quiet, reserved and an amazing spa. The food was good, not extraordinary. The spa was outstanding, restful and invigorating. We enjoyed the winter scene from the spa area, the atmosphere is just perfect for a great rest and get away.

Room Tip: We recommend the main house on the third floor. Quiet and great view of the back garden.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mayflower Grace? Share your experiences!