“Bad service, bad food and overpriced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Dunloe

You added The Dunloe to your Saves list
The Dunloe
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beaufort, Beaufort, Killarney, Ireland (Formerly Hotel Dunloe Castle)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beaufort
Cork
“Bad service, bad food and overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here recently with our kids. Room was lovely. Reception experience left a lot to be desired. Very few smiles from staff. Receptionist never made eye contact and barely half heartedly asked if all was ok with our stay. In fact she didn't even look up from the keyboard as she spoke to us. Food was very poor. One of the children had spaghetti bolognaise and when brought to our table still had the cling wrap hanging from the end of the bowl. I would certainly not expect to get microwaved reheated food from a five star kitchen. All other food was very poor. Room rate completely overpriced given the poor service and food. Room information said there was a kids club but when I rang reception they said there was no kids club. In room info should be accurate. Have read management responses to other critical reviews on tripadvisor and would appreciate not receiving the standard obviously templated response to my critical review. I write This review simply in an attempt to warn other people before wasting their money on a far less than 5 star experience. If u want 5 star treatment... Try fota resort hotel in cobh... Now they know how to give 5 star service and 5 star food.

• Stayed September 2012
KillarneyHotels, Manager at The Dunloe, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Happycamper85,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Dunloe. We value all forms of guest feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests. I was disappointed to read the contents of your review. However I have taken your comments on board and will be addressing them. I note your dissatisfaction in relation to your dining experience and assure you that all our food is cooked a la minute. The tray which was used to serve your food from the kitchen to the restaurant may have had cling film on it, which transferred to the bottom of the spaghetti bowl I do apologise sincerely that this was not removed before being served to your table. You are correct with regards to information in the guest directory it does state that we provide a complimentary kids club, however due to children being back in school in September the demand isn’t consistent and it usually stops running the first week in September. I do apologise that you were not made aware of this on check-in and I will address amending the information in the guest directory to reflect this change. We do provide complimentary horse riding, indoor tennis, indoor games room & fishing on the River Laune. As you will no doubt have read some of the other reviews on Trip Advisor I would wish to again encourage you to return for a visit, so that we may have the opportunity of changing your opinion of us. In the hope that you will consider a return visit I will look forward to hearing from you personally.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Definitely 5*, although the wild ponies running for shelter under the trees when the summer rain started & the the rainbows we were treated to from the bay windows, at breakfast time, cannot be rated: they're just priceless. And it is precisely The Dunloe's setting that makes it unique: the night walks to the ruins of the original castle & the bench overlooking the river crossing the hotel's grounds are just out of this world.

But The Dunloe does not only rely on the unique natural beauty of its surroundings nor its tasteful decor: it also offers a 5* star service to the tiniest little detail. Among our favorite: the sandalwood toiletries, the sweet dream chocolate & tomorrow's weather card (highly original!!!) we found on by our pillow every night, the excellent quality cups with the golden crest in the breakfast room -for those who wished to have their lattes or cappuccinos to go...

And if details do matter, so does the big picture. Because The Dunloe boasts a fantastic indoor pool with glass walls that allow you views on the grounds & i's like swimming in the middle of green. The bar is very cozy too, with excellent service by veteran Irish waiters & barmen that happily took our orders & engaged into conversation with a large party of foreign people whose English left a lot to be desired. (extra bonus points for that :- )

Last, but not least, I would like to mention the gourmet food experience at The Dunloe. Seated dinners were the time of the day we were all looking forward to for the linen tableware, the beautifully printed menus, the excellent choice of courses, the presentation, the succulent taste. We loved it all & desserts in particular. The service was v. professional albeit a bit rushed for our taste but we understand that might have to do with the group leader instructions (?). Anyway, the whole experience was so enjoyable, we would have wished to keep our plates in front of us longer, especially those of us who had ordered wine.

All in all, staying at the Dunloe, exceeded by far my expectations & my only regret is not having being able to enjoy the hotel grounds more & not having taken the free riding classes. This in itself is the reason why I would definitely go back, & this time with my 7 yr old daughter. Thumbs up for The Dunloe in Killarney, Ireland!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear AVRA-Z,
Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. The views are excellent and we try to make sure that the experience at the hotel is on a par with the spectacular scenery that surrounds us. I will be pleased to share your positive feedback with our team and hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you and your 7 year old daughter back to The Dunloe in the near future.
Clare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Jason & Duncan @ the Dunloe could give master classes in making guests feel welcome. There are no superlatives that could adequately convey how great this place is. If you want phony, stiff shirt 5 star treatment this is not the place. The uniqueness of the Dunloe is the genuine warmth and friendliness of the staff.

We've been coming here for 20+ years for weekends with our children & sometimes with extended family members. As a little girl our daughter often said she'd love to have her wedding in the Dunloe. And so last August she did and it was the most amazing fairytale wedding. We're not from Kerry and (as the parents) were given the job of finding the church for the ceremony. John, on the front desk, suggested we check out the Black Valley Church up at the Gap - forget it, you'd need a helicopter to get by the jarvies. They don't like vehicular traffic on 'their' road. We then went to the Cathedral in Killarney - way too big. We were thrilled with Beaufort Church, a beautiful 19thC old world church hidden away in the quiet countryside down the road from the Dunloe.

We had a fab weekend, the food was only superb and Jason and Duncan outdid themselves. Dan & Michael in the restaurant couldn't do enough for us and Pierce & Mike in the bar, as always, are excellent ambassadors for the industry. We couldn't have asked for better. The attention to detail and the flawless personal attention could not be praised enough. And you just can't buy that.. simple as.

I haven't gone into detail about the views, the gardens, the walks or the amenities. all that and more can be read elsewhere. Rather, this is a snapshot of our personal experiences over the years and what this oasis of calm has meant to our family. Long may it continue and well done to everyone at the Dunloe for going the extra mile that makes such a difference.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear MCClancyClare
Thank you for posting your feedback here on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at The Dunloe. I am aware that you and your family have been returning guests for the past 20 years and it is a delight to welcome you back each year. It was an honour for us to host your daughter’s wedding here last year and we were delighted to see Donna & Tim return to celebrate their 1st wedding anniversary. Thank you for your lovely comments I will be pleased to share your positive feedback with our team who work very hard to make each guests’ stay enjoyable. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Dunloe for many more years to come.
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This hotel exceeded every expectation I had for a five star hotel. We recently stayed here for a wedding and my only regret is that we didn't add a night or two to our stay. The hotel is beautiful, the lobby has a huge open fire and although we stayed here in August, an open fire is always welcome in Ireland! Our room was so nice, it was vary spacious and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was also beautifully decorated and the shower was just amazing, a rainfall shower with lots of power! But the best thing about our room was the view, green pastures, beautiful horses and the Gap of Dunloe in full view! We ate dinner at the Dunloe and although it was a wedding, the food was so good, five star quality and the service was top notch. The breakfast was buffet style, the best I have ever had in Ireland, there was a huge selection, everything you could imagine and on top of that they also had a cook on hand for anyone who wanted something specific. Lastly, the grounds are just lovely, there are so many walks just outside the front door of the hotel and the location is perfect for exploring the Gap of Dunloe and Kerry. I have stayed in many Irish hotels, the Dunloe is beyond a five star! We will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: We had a garden room at the back of the hotel. We had a balcony and the view of the Gap of Dunloe wa...
Dear PondLeaper,
Thank you very much for the kind review – I am very thankful to you for taking the time to post it here on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to Killarney and your stay with us here at The Dunloe. Thank you for your lovely comments on the standard of our bedrooms. I am pleased that you enjoyed your dining experiences with us. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the rest of our team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Tuscania, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This beautiful hotel is 5 star but it was a pity about the ''Dull Bar and Restaurant Staff, These were the older members of staff I must say... they had no conversation or knowledge of the castle or the grounds....or anything!!!
My husband who is a chatty sort of fellow made several attempts to converse with the bar man and waiters but a nod was all he received. They were not busy just ''DULL'' Everything else was
5 Star Excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Gabyswept,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here on Trip Advisor. I am disappointed to hear that you felt staff were not chatty. However, I am glad that the rest of your stay was to your expectations and hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Dunloe in the future.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My wife and I began our honeymoon at The Dunloe 3 weeks ago. The hotel exceeded our expectations. We were greeted by the doorman who grabbed our bags and handed us warm clothes to wash our hands. Our bags were taken to our room and we were off to explore the grounds. We wanted to stay in or at a castle and the Dunloe fit our budget. The castle on the grounds is fenced off and pretty beat up. I wish more information was provided about the history of the grounds. We went horseback riding with Johanna, awesome and pretty neat. Totally unexpected. We also got wonderful massages as part of our package stay.

Our room was huge and the view was spectacular. The Dunloe Gap sits picturesque in front of this hotel.

It must of been the last week before kids returned to school because the hotel was crawling with kids. We didnt really mind but for as fancy as the place is it really is a family hotel.

Great stay. Do it.

Dear Matt G,
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review here on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that you were very happy with your room. I am pleased that you enjoyed your complimentary trek on our Haflinger ponies. The Dunloe Castle is undergoing restoration at the moment as it is a 12 century listed building we endeavour to restore and maintain it, hence it is fenced off for the safety of our guests. Once restoration has been completed visitors can enjoy the amazing views of the River Laune from the top of the Castle. The view from the hotel certainly is spectacular overlooking the famous Gap of Dunloe, set on its own 64 acre estate. We try to make sure the experience at the hotel is on a par with the spectacular scenery that surrounds us. My team and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Dunloe in the future.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

the views are actually priceless at this hotel. the hotel is not cheap but they offer free horseback riding and bikes when i was there in august. hotel is a little far from town its about a 15 E cab ride to town. I went with my girlfriend we went out came back at 4am the hotel was ghost town front doors locked. Pretty funny now that i think of it. we waiting 10 min and a security guard let us in. overall was a very nice hotel. Yes I would stay again there. Breakfast was very good food was great rooms were clean. not cheap place but stunning views of the mountains.

Room Tip: get the ones facing the mountains
Dear AIR_Review,
Thank you very much for the kind review, I appreciate you taking the time to post it here on Trip Advisor. The views certainly are spectacular, whether overlooking the Gap of Dunloe or the listed gardens towards the banks of the River Laune, each of the bedrooms have been designed to offer fantastic views. I am pleased that you enjoyed the complimentary facilities we have to offer on site. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Dunloe in the future.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Dunloe? Share your experiences!