“Stunning Views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Dunloe

Save Saved
You added The Dunloe to your Saves list
The Dunloe
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beaufort, Beaufort, Killarney, Ireland (Formerly Hotel Dunloe Castle)   |
Special Rate
Midweek Special €90pps BB
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Beaufort
Toronto, Canada
“Stunning Views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

the views are actually priceless at this hotel. the hotel is not cheap but they offer free horseback riding and bikes when i was there in august. hotel is a little far from town its about a 15 E cab ride to town. I went with my girlfriend we went out came back at 4am the hotel was ghost town front doors locked. Pretty funny now that i think of it. we waiting 10 min and a security guard let us in. overall was a very nice hotel. Yes I would stay again there. Breakfast was very good food was great rooms were clean. not cheap place but stunning views of the mountains.

Room Tip: get the ones facing the mountains
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
KillarneyHotels, Manager at The Dunloe, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear AIR_Review,
Thank you very much for the kind review, I appreciate you taking the time to post it here on Trip Advisor. The views certainly are spectacular, whether overlooking the Gap of Dunloe or the listed gardens towards the banks of the River Laune, each of the bedrooms have been designed to offer fantastic views. I am pleased that you enjoyed the complimentary facilities we have to offer on site. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Dunloe in the future.

318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed here for a 3 night break over the Easter bank holiday this year and I couldn't recommend the hotel highly enough. In fact two of my friends and their young families have stayed here over the summer on our recommendation and both familes found it to be fantastic.

From the moment we entered the hotel the staff couldn't have been more friendly of helpful, Jason the manager was particularly helpful with a query we had. The service is excellent, facilities are very good, horse riding, indoor tenis, leisure club but the stand out facility is the kids club.
Mel and Tina that run the kids club are fantastic, our 4 year old loved it. The one little gripe that I would have was the fact that a double bed in a superior room was 2 twins pushed together but this was a very minor ( if annoying) detail.
A very enjoyable stay for everyone!

Room Tip: We stayed in a superior room, plenty of space for a cot and toddler bes
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Clodagh W,
I am delighted to read your review and see that you enjoyed your stay with us over the Easter bank holiday. We have a mixture of continental twins and doubles throughout the hotel so please let us know your preference for your next reservation and we will happily oblige. It’s great that you enjoyed the complimentary family facilities onsite. I am particularly pleased that your family enjoyed the Kids’ Club, which is a feature of our family friendly facilities which proves very popular among our young guests. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Dunloe again soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Wonderful hotel in fantastic surrondings but !!!!!!!!!. On enquiring what the special was at dinner my dad decided to "go for it" order the chicken breast with mashed potato , but he got scallops served instead, not what you would expect from the service at this star rating hotel.
Then on check out dad & me split the bill, I questioned it was a bit high in price & she recheck the bill & noticed the wrong tarrif was down on our room rate ....... she changed it to what it shuold be but come on £160 more !!!!!!!!

Dear Michellog,
Thank you for your feedback here on Trip Advisor. I regret to hear that there was a discrepancy in relation to the food you were served, I apologise for this and assure you that it is not a standard experience of the hotel. Naturally, it is policy at Reception to furnish all guests on check-out with their bill before payment to ensure all bills are in order. I grant it was an inconvenience that you had to point out there was an error on your bill. Thank you again for your comments; we value all forms of guest feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests. I am delighted that you thought the hotel was wonderful and enjoyed the surroundings here at The Dunloe. I do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We (family of 5) stayed for 5 nights in early August and had a most enjoyable break. This is a genuinely family friendly hotel with very helpful staff. There was a wide variety of activities available for our children aged 13,12 and 9 and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. The hotels location is spectacular.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
KillarneyHotels, Manager at The Dunloe, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear Pat N

Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and were impressed with not just our beautiful location but also our dedicated team. I look forward to sharing your comments with our team and we hope to welcome you back to The Dunloe again soon!

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

A difficult hotel to review because it is not a 5 star hotel in any conventional sense. But then again, the service is excellent, the facilites very good and the views to the Reeks and the Gap of Dunloe, magnificent. Throw in the horse riding, indoor tennis, kids club, and leisure centre, and you have the makings of a very enjoyable break. I would definitely recommend the Dunloe to families wiith small children. They will love it and you will have a great time.

Dear Gauffre 186605

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Dunloe. I am pleased that you enjoyed our child friendly facilities; we do our utmost to ensure a five star experience for all the family. I hope that we can have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Dunloe again soon!

western qld
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel and very very impressed with the superb views and scenery. We really enjoyed eating while looking out on lush green paddocks with mares and foals grazing. The hotel advertises riding lessons and also welcomes dogs. The breakfast was excellent and the service very good. The hotel certainly makes the most of its beautiful setting. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor.
Dear CathyC46

Many thanks for the positive review and for posting it here on Trip Advisor. I shall pass your comments onto our Chef and Restaurant team, we pride ourselves on our food and service and it is always great to hear that our guests have enjoyed their experience. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Dunloe again soon.

St.Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife as often booked our stay and I just tagged along. mY wife still smokes and this often makes booking difficult.. The Dunloe had no problems with that, as they had some rooms for smokers and honest it had a great view of the pastures and the Gap. The Hotel is friendly for people with kids or pets. Not to mention helicopter friendly, you just don't see that much.

The staff really is great very attentive and helpful. We took a horse cart down to the Gap and did the "Falcon" walk we is just way too cool flying birds of prey. The grounds are large and very nice, it's a great family place for sure. We ate breakfast at the hotel, again very good and we had a dinner there too. We did have a car so we would drive into town to eat too about 10 minutes away.

The only complaint and it is really not was that the "Spa" the Sauna and Steam Room are in respective either male or female bathrooms so my wife and I had to go our own ways. Also, since the place is so kid friendly it would have been nice to have the pool opened up late for adults only say from 9 to 11.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Dunloe Castle Hotel and without a second thought would be happy to visit this "resort" again.

Dear DrScooter

Thank you very much for the kind review, I appreciate you taking the time to post it here on Trip Advisor. The views certainly are spectacular, whether overlooking the Gap of Dunloe or the gardens towards the banks of the River Laune, each of the bedrooms have been designed to offer fantastic views. I am delighted to read that you found our team to be very helpful and friendly. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Dunloe again soon.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Dunloe? Share your experiences!