“Times must be changing...” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #77 of 146 restaurants in Wallingford
Cuisines: American
Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
“Times must be changing...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

they came out with a new menu, but looks like prices have risen as well. the subs used to be stuffed with meat, now it's like eating bread. If they are trying to be like a place in Philly, they need to step it up

Visited July 2012

45% Recommend
CT
“subs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

great chicken and steak philly subs. other menu items include salads and specialty fries

Visited April 2012
Oakton, Va
“It's Gone Way Down Hill -- About to Go Out of Business??”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I wrote a glowing review of this place about a year ago. When I returned, it was clear that they have completely let the place slip. The place was much less clean than it had been when it was relatively new. The staff was indifferent and seemed confused. The woman who took my order was wearing jeans and a stained MJ Duke's T-Shirt. The guy, who I think is the manager or owner, was a rough, scruffy guy who didn't seem to be very interested in customers. The cheesesteaks now have less meat on them than I remember on my first visit and the meat seems to be of lower quality...very fatty and full of grizzle. The bread was somewhat stale. Definitely not worth a trip. Has the feel that it will soon be going out of business. Too bad...they had it right when they first opened...must be lousy managers and poor businessmen...they had a gold mine and seem not to have figured out how to sustain it.

Visited January 2012
East Hartford, Connecticut
“Worth another try”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

Pros:
- Philly Cheesesteak was very good
- Pizzasteak was good, but had a little too much sauce
- Prices were reasonable

Cons:
- Didn't like the fries
- Service (a little slow, they forgot the onions on my cheesesteak - which I told them twice I wanted)

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
the hills of connecticut
“Decent cheesesteak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

First of all, I hail from a place in New England but not in Connecticut (can't blow my cover) where every corner sub shop makes cheesesteak that puts Pats, Genos and every emporium in Philly to shame, so I am quite picky and educated about this particular food. Having said that, I cannot just run off to that place every time I get the urge, and so I welcomed the arrival of MJ Duke's to Wallingford. I have been to MJ Duke's a few times, and my experience each time I go seems to dictate how long I'll wait between visits. First, the owner is a wonderful guy and when he is working you are sure of a good sandwich and friendly, courteous service. The restaurant is clean and well maintained. There are a couple of cashiers who are not too courteous or attentive (seem to resent that this is their job, or maybe do not understand the job description). There are a couple of cooks who cannot cook (burn the meat, burn the toppings, serve fries that should not be served). I notice that this has happened when the owner has NOT been present. When all the planets align, you will get a decent sandwich and fries that will make you sigh with happiness. On other visits, you will wish you had saved your money. One thing I should say is that, to my mind there is rarely enough steak in these sandwiches to begin with. I have seen the meat (steak, or chicken used for chicken cheesesteak) cooking and it looks and tastes like very good meat, however there is way too little of it for the size of the roll. At $6.95 a pop, the meat should be bursting out of the top and you should not be able to close the roll. That is not the case here. Also, although the Amoroso roll is authentic Philly, I think it would be better to get the sub rolls from one of the fine, local Italian bakeries in New Haven. They have a bit more "bite" to them and I'm sure trucking rolls up from Philly adds to the price of the sandwich. Spend the money on more meat! I'm giving MJ Duke's a "four" because I want to acknowledge the fries and the quality of the meat, sparse though it may be. The place is worth a try.

• Visited September 2011