“Must see this!” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #1 of 1 Attractions in Hinuera
Type: Farms, Sightseeing Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover the real Middle-earth on the most picturesque private farmland near Matamata in the North Island of New Zealand, where you can visit the Hobbiton Movie Set from The Lord of the Rings film trilogy in a fascinating two-hour guided tour.The set has been completely rebuilt and will remain as it was seen in The Lord of the Rings film trilogy.There are spectacular views across to the Kaimai Ranges from the rolling green hills of the movie set, which is still a working sheep and beef farm.As the Hobbiton Movie Set is located on a real New Zealand farm, we also offer you the opportunity to cuddle and bottle feed the pet lambs. You can relax and soak up the unique atmosphere with a great cup of coffee or a light meal in The Shires Rest Cafe, which is also available for functions, conferences or other occasions. Visit The Shire Store (below the cafe) for some special souvenirs to remind you of your visit.
“Must see this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I wasn't a fan of the Hobbit etc movies, but tagged along as my family have seen all the movies. I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it: the Hobbit set is authentic and flawless, and absolutely engaging when informed by the friendly Tour Guide (Hobbit junkie and Uni student, Keiran). Recommend this beautifully scenic tour even if your not a fan. Beer available at the Green Dragon plus delicious food for lunch! Great selection of souvenirs too. If you're a fan, dress up!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Gardiner, Montana, United States
6 attraction reviews
“Loved this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I took a tour of Hobbiton and absolutely loved it. Although we are fans of the movies and books, this tour is great for everyone. Our guide, Sam, was so much fun and we enjoyed our drinks from the Green Dragon Pub. I would recommend this to anyone!

Seattle, Washington
“Fun Tour a Must See for Hobbit Fans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Fan of Lord of the Rings? This is a must see.
The scenery was beautiful!! Many great photo opportunities.
Our guide (Wyatt) was great! Very knowledgeable and extremely friendly, he told us fun insider stories about the filming of Lord of the Rings.
We were pleasantly delighted by the complimentary ginger ale that was served at the end of the tour. The BEST ginger ale ever!! You can purchase food at the end of the tour and that was good as well.

How we got there? We rented a car in Auckland and drove to Hamilton. Spent one night in Hamilton and drove to Hobbiton the next morning.

Quick Tip: Don't forget to buy your tour tickets in advance on-line.

Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Couldn't fault the experience... worth it, especially for the big LOTR fans. Beautiful scenery, funny anecdotes and yummy food at the Green Dragon Inn. Would visit again!

Visited May 2013
“Amazing place, fan or no fan it's breathtaking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I'm a huge fan of the movies so i'm probably a little bit biased but purely based on location it's a really beautiful area and the set has been flawlessly preserved.

Our guide had a lot of really cool "insider" stuff to say which was really interesting and the Green Dragon was incredible. Really good cider too.

The only reason I didn't go for 5/5 is that I would probably recommend spending the extra money and taking a private tour if you're a fan. It's a little overwhelming at times in a big group waving cameras everywhere but that's just a suggestion, it's well worth it no matter what.

It was probably the highlight of the trip for me and I daresay if I wound up back in that part of the world I would probably do it all over again.